Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi guys,

Please forgive me if this has been asked before but I have had a search and cannot find anything, or if I'm being dumb, which I often am!

 

We recently networked our macs and manage them using profile manager.

I am now just starting to look into Apple VPP and most of if makes sense but am left confused about the licensing model they use for app deployment.

What troubles me is that both options on the edu store refer to licenses per user rather than per machine.

 

Redeemable Codes: Download a spreadsheet containing redeemable codes which you can then provide to your users. Ownership of the app or book is given to the Apple ID that redeems the code. Codes will only be redeemable in the UK store.

Managed Distribution: Assign apps to users on iOS 7 or later or on OS X 10.9 or later using a Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution, such as the latest version of Apple Profile Manager. You retain ownership of apps only, allowing you to revoke and reassign them as needed.

 

Is this really the case that you need to buy a license for a bit of software for every student who is likely to use it?? This seems crazy to me as, for example we will have perhaps a hundred music students who will all need to use Logic on 50 macs timetabled over the week. If I'm reading the blurb right we will need to buy 100 licenses rather than just the one per machine (50).

 

Am I understanding this correctly or getting the wrong end of the stick? If so is it purely apple being greedy megalomaniacs or is there some benefit for us end users that I have not spotted?

 

I'm pretty sure this is just the first of many and numerous hurdles that I'll need to overcome but if can at least make a start....!

 

Thanks in advance all :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...