Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello all!

 

So we've recently setup WSUS in our domain following Michael's guide. But must be missing something as no clients are syncing with WSUS and updating. Now in WSUS it had picked up all the clients and has synchronized the updates ready to go, but they are just all stuck on "not yet reported". Client side of things I get error 800B0001, and have tried the hotfix which hasn't resolved anything. I've also tried in group policy specifying the port which then gives error 80072EE2, but i believe this is just a timeout error.

 

So what may I have missed?

 

Also tried disabling the Firewall on the client, no luck.

 

May or may not be relevant; we have a proxy in place, WSUS is running on its own VM not on a DC.

 

Any help would be grand!

 

Thanks,

Dan

Posted

Make sure your WSUS server is in your proxy exceptions list. Make sure your GPO sets the WSUS server correctly:

 

On WSUS 3.2 and earlier, port 80 for HTTP and 443 for HTTPS

 

On WSUS 6.2 and later (at least Windows Server 2012), port 8530 for HTTP and 8531 for HTTPS

Posted

Okay so added it into exceptions and still nothing. Can I clarify some things. This may sound dumb but this is my first WSUS server...

 

So WSUS, does the server itself need the proxy settings entered? As in on the internet options? And in the WSUS options I've entered the proxy info in there as the guide suggested, and this runs over port 8080, so on the GPO side would the server address be *:80 or :8080?

 

Also, another dumb question perhaps, but I'm currently testing it if its working but manually going into Windows Update on the client machine and hitting update? Should this still work when using a WSUS?

 

Thanks,

Posted
Okay so added it into exceptions and still nothing. Can I clarify some things. This may sound dumb but this is my first WSUS server...

 

So WSUS, does the server itself need the proxy settings entered? As in on the internet options? And in the WSUS options I've entered the proxy info in there as the guide suggested, and this runs over port 8080, so on the GPO side would the server address be *:80 or :8080?

 

Also, another dumb question perhaps, but I'm currently testing it if its working but manually going into Windows Update on the client machine and hitting update? Should this still work when using a WSUS?

 

Thanks,

 

The WSUS server needs proxy settings to be entered so that it can grab the updates from Microsoft (unless they can get through on port 80, as they can here). This is done on the server in the WSUS setup wizard.

 

On the GPO side it'll be either of the ports I specified in my posy above. Old version of WSUS - 80 for http or 443 for https. Newer version - port 8530 or 8531. My WSUS server is on 2012 R2 so I use 8530.

 

Yes, you can manually invoke a check against your WSUS server. You get a little message underneath the progress bar saying 'Managed by your system administrator' and 'Check online for updates from Microsoft Update', but clicking on 'Check for updates' should go to your server instead.

Posted
So WSUS, does the server itself need the proxy settings entered? As in on the internet options? And in the WSUS options I've entered the proxy info in there as the guide suggested, and this runs over port 8080, so on the GPO side would the server address be *:80 or :8080?

 

The proxy settings info in and the GPO side are completely independent.

Posted
Okay so added it into exceptions and still nothing. Can I clarify some things. This may sound dumb but this is my first WSUS server...

 

So WSUS, does the server itself need the proxy settings entered? As in on the internet options? And in the WSUS options I've entered the proxy info in there as the guide suggested, and this runs over port 8080, so on the GPO side would the server address be *:80 or :8080?

 

Also, another dumb question perhaps, but I'm currently testing it if its working but manually going into Windows Update on the client machine and hitting update? Should this still work when using a WSUS?

 

Thanks,

 

Just to clarify, you specify your proxy server as normal - so in your case randomproxyserver:8080. Configure this in Internet Options and WSUS itself.

 

When you installed WSUS, if you chose the Default then it will use port 80, so in your GPO you'd specify http:\\SERVERNAME

 

If you installed WSUS on port 8530, you'd specify the GPO as http:\\SERVERNAME:8530

 

Hope this helps!

Posted

is the firewall no the wsus box set to allow data back in from clients?

try using the ip rather than name for the server ive found this sometimes works better

Posted

Right so, the VM WSUS server (Win 2008r2) needs proxy details in to get internet access. It then has the proxy details entered in the WSUS options (which run on :8080). GPO side of things I've entered the server name http://HTTP://SERVERNAME with and without :80 (as it is WSUS v3.2...) and the IP of the server. All to no avail. Still the same error when trying to run on the client, after performing a gpupdate and wuauclt. Oh and wsus server name is in the internet exceptions list.

 

Thanks for all the help so far. I'm sure its something silly somewhere, but for the life of me can't figure it out.

Posted
is the firewall no the wsus box set to allow data back in from clients?

try using the ip rather than name for the server ive found this sometimes works better

 

what would the firewall settings be? Theres no obviously options to add WSUS or similar into it.

Posted
what would the firewall settings be? Theres no obviously options to add WSUS or similar into it.

 

for testing just turn it off

Posted

Just an update.

 

Its now working. Went through a load of troubleshooting this morning again, and decided to restart the server. it did two little updates in the process, but now all is well! Maybe as I hadn't restarted from the first install or something in the update fixed it, whichever I don't mind now its working!

 

Thanks again for everyones help! very much appreciated.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...