Simcfc73 Posted October 24, 2014 Posted October 24, 2014 Morning, Is anyone using Azure with DPM in anger yet? I've managed to get it working on a months trail but unsure of the costs as the calculations are a bit weird. It does look very slick and after a bit of head scratching I have it uploading bits of data.
Marshall_IT Posted October 24, 2014 Posted October 24, 2014 It's something I've considered, but as with all cloud storage / backup the costing seems very difficult to understand. I'd be eager to know how you get on as I'll be replacing backup new year.
win Posted October 24, 2014 Posted October 24, 2014 I'm in the same position as the poster above. Would like to move to azure as it is integrated within dpm 2012 r2, but the costing is difficult to figure out.
gjefferies Posted November 4, 2014 Posted November 4, 2014 Anyone got any pricing or trialling this at the moment? Thanks Gareth
Simcfc73 Posted November 4, 2014 Author Posted November 4, 2014 I am probably going to let it run after the trial to see how much it is. Got it working (apart from exchange 2013 which isn't supported so I have to change my protection groups). Not a huge school but its up to 350GB. The way it lists the backups on the web is weird, doesn't show them as VHDs with the correct names so its pretty much a dumb storage system.. everything is controlled in house.
Marshall_IT Posted November 4, 2014 Posted November 4, 2014 Normally cloud storage / backup costs really hit you when you recover the data, keeping it there in cold storage can be pretty cheap. For example Amazon's ice? Long term storage is cheap to upload and store but would become quite expensive to recover your whole site. I've just taken a look at this page http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/backup/ as I know MS have updated their azure pricing recently and it states "We charge for backup based on the amount of data stored in the Backup service. We do not charge additionally for bandwidth, storage, storage transactions, compute, or other resources associated with providing the Backup service." Which is pretty good considering their storage costs are also stated to be £0.13 per GB per month after your first free 5GB. That would mean roughly £45 per month for your 350GB.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now