Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

OK, I know this is simple but for the life of my I can't see what I'm doing wrong. I want to restore a file from Veeam Tape job but when I go through the wizzard instead of expanding the veeam file and showing the Windows file structure it only shows the Veeam File and want's to restore that. I thought when I had tested this before I could restore directly from the tape and as you navigated the Wizzard it allowed you to drill in to the file structure to restore an individual file?

 

I also followed the steps from Launch Files from Tape Wizzard to make sure I was doing it right but I can't see what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately veeam does not store the structure of the file in the tape so you can't do direct restore from tape of a particular file. What you have to do is to restore the file to temp repository/folder and then import this into veeam. After this you will be able to restore the file(s) using the structure. This is one of the biggest annoyance with veeam, yes even in a virtualised environment. With Backupexec you used to just restore the file(s) directly from tape without faffing around restore the file, importing etc. Veeam may be great in a lot of ways but when it comes to restoring files from tapes, it certainly is hard work.

 

: Veeam Backup Guide for Hyper-V

 

Ash.

Edited by spc-rocket
  • Thanks 1
Posted
So if I want to restore a single text file I need to restore the whole 300GB of our file server to be able to root around in the Veeam file to get at it?
Posted (edited)
Unfortunately veeam does not store the structure of the file in the tape so you can't do direct restore from tape of a particular file. What you have to do is to restore the file to temp repository/folder and then import this into veeam. After this you will be able to restore the file(s) using the structure. This is one of the biggest annoyance with veeam, yes even in a virtualised environment. With Backupexec you used to just restore the file(s) directly from tape without faffing around restore the file, importing etc. Veeam may be great in a lot of ways but when it comes to restoring files from tapes, it certainly is hard work.

 

: Veeam Backup Guide for Hyper-V

 

Ash.

 

Surely the option for Restore files from tape is a bit redundant then as you need to restore the backup veeam file to be able to import it into veeam?

 

Edit: Just realised that is for when you write files to tape...it's been a long day :confused:

Edited by penfold
Posted
Thing of it as mounting a recovery image that you then root around in.

 

Yes its the mounting bit that is the pain especially if your full backups are large i.e. 1.5Tb!, not to mention that you need the 1.5Tb (in our case) spare disk space on repository for a simple, yes bog standard simple restore of one or two 20Kb files!

 

Then issue for these veeam guys is that they have gone with the CBT (change block tracking technology) and this way they can't do the structure on tapes.

 

Ash.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...