mike86 Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 Hi All, We have a delivery of 100+ iPads turning up this week, and today i'm planning on setting up some way to configure them, we have profile manager configured on a macmini server, however i'm willing to look at other options, Meraki? I'm looking for ideas, suggestions on the best way to set these up as quickly as possible...I would like to install a set of general apps paid and unpaid & then specific apps to the class & individual e-mail accounts if possible. The problem I can see is that all the apps will be set up with the individual student apple ID's. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please fire away. Thanks Again M
abillybob Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 Search in Edugeek there are far too many questions just like yours that can help you out. They're always the same answers!
smithson83 Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 In a nutshell Start Up an iPad, Apple Config: Prepare, Supervise, iPad: update etc, set icons up as you like, set apps to auto update and install, safari homepage etc. Apple Config: Backup as base image, Meraki: Create a network, set up profiles etc Apple Config: Create a meraki profile & Import meraki Certificate, create a WLAN profile Rest of the iPads; Apple Config: Prepare (w/WLAN Profile), supervise (always update iOS, WLAN Profile, Meraki Profile) end user: setup apple id, add to ipad VPP: join program Meraki: add vpp, invite users, send out apps 2
abillybob Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 @mike86, these will be worth the read it's not always that simple... http://www.edugeek.net/forums/netbooks-pda-phones/139114-apps-just-waiting.html http://www.edugeek.net/forums/mac/137615-apple-check-list.html
Brimstone Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 Hi All, We have a delivery of 100+ iPads turning up this week, and today i'm planning on setting up some way to configure them, we have profile manager configured on a macmini server, however i'm willing to look at other options, Meraki? I'm looking for ideas, suggestions on the best way to set these up as quickly as possible...I would like to install a set of general apps paid and unpaid & then specific apps to the class & individual e-mail accounts if possible. The problem I can see is that all the apps will be set up with the individual student apple ID's. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please fire away. Thanks Again M As you have Mac Mini Server I would strongly advise you to configure the caching server BEFORE you start deploying the iPads, you will need a static Public IP for it. This would make iOS updates and app deployment a lot quicker.
mike86 Posted July 16, 2014 Author Posted July 16, 2014 Thanks Brimstone, Where do I configure this & what is this for? I've set up one with configurator and tested Meraki and all seems to be working. Only thing i've not worked out is if I can send email settings out on a per user basis.
abillybob Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 Thanks Brimstone, Where do I configure this & what is this for? I've set up one with configurator and tested Meraki and all seems to be working. Only thing i've not worked out is if I can send email settings out on a per user basis. Again look at the other threads.... I would highly recommend you checking with county to make sure you can enable Caching Server before you enable it and stop everyone else on the same public IP using Apple kit.
mike86 Posted July 16, 2014 Author Posted July 16, 2014 Cheers, I've had look through the other threads you posted & as we're a private school all should be good on that side of things...thoughts?
Brimstone Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 Thanks Brimstone, Where do I configure this & what is this for? I've set up one with configurator and tested Meraki and all seems to be working. Only thing i've not worked out is if I can send email settings out on a per user basis. Caching Server 2 only comes with Mavericks Server, it caches iOS, OS X and app updates locally on your network, just make sure you have a static public I.P. you can point this to otherwise it will not work. Link below https://help.apple.com/advancedserveradmin/mac/3.0/#apdC36C9994-1533-4DCB-9CFF-870CB0FADCDB You can configure Exchange Activesync accounts for email or other SMTP/POP email accounts using Apple Configurator, link below https://help.apple.com/configurator/mac/1.0/#cad812edaec
abillybob Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 Cheers, I've had look through the other threads you posted & as we're a private school all should be good on that side of things...thoughts? Sorted then as long as you have your own broadband you should be good 1
mike86 Posted July 16, 2014 Author Posted July 16, 2014 Thanks, We're still on Mountain Lion Server, so should be cool, with the apple Configurator i'm guessing I can put the basic settings in & let the user type their mail address/password. Or will I need to set an individual profile per iPad?
smithson83 Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 Only thing i've not worked out is if I can send email settings out on a per user basis. You can do this in within a profile in Meraki, setup the email settings within a profile, and then assign a user to the device (user being the username for the email account)
mike86 Posted July 16, 2014 Author Posted July 16, 2014 You can do this in within a profile in Meraki, setup the email settings within a profile, and then assign a user to the device (user being the username for the email account) Winner, works a treat. Really appreciate all of your help the time this will save is unbelievable. As a (hopefully) final question, i'm guessing to install the initial base image I'm going to have to use Configurator with the iPads plugged in via USB...Is there a limit to how many I can do at a time or can I use a couple of USB hubs and do as many as I can fit on?
smithson83 Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 (edited) I'm guessing to install the initial base image I'm going to have to use Configurator with the iPads plugged in via USB...Is there a limit to how many I can do at a time or can I use a couple of USB hubs and do as many as I can fit on? I tried using Hub's, and didn't get very far, may of been the Hubs though. You can get charge and sync trollys/docks etc, but otherwise you may be stuck with doing a three at a time as I was. (I think there is a limit of 30 or so, from memory, but could be wrong, a quick Google should tell you) a quick gotcha I had after the base image/prepare I had to wake the device up and move it onto the network screen for the WLAN profile to take properly, otherwise the Meraki profile then failed when I supervised them. Edited July 16, 2014 by smithson83 1
Brimstone Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 Winner, works a treat. Really appreciate all of your help the time this will save is unbelievable. As a (hopefully) final question, i'm guessing to install the initial base image I'm going to have to use Configurator with the iPads plugged in via USB...Is there a limit to how many I can do at a time or can I use a couple of USB hubs and do as many as I can fit on? Yes Apple Configurator will only support up to 30 iPads at once...
rad Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 You will need this http://www.habitat.co.uk/pws/client/images/catalogue/products/165218/large/165218.jpg cos after a while thats the best place for them. You can lock the wifi settings down, so they can change it access their personal hotspot to their iphones and get on anything. I have the joys of changing them all in the summer from the lockdown i set up to the open access they now require
auditman Posted July 24, 2014 Posted July 24, 2014 On our test ipads. 300. Configure MEraki for VPP Managed Distribution, Apple Configurator to supervised iapds. Apps comes down magically to ipads. no credentials to enter.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now