e_g_r Posted December 7, 2005 Posted December 7, 2005 OK we put in some nice new sexy 2003 servers during half term and they work a treat. Problem is (no laughing at the back) we still have to run a number of 98 machines till we put them out to pasture next year. Can't afford to upgrade them so please don't suggest that!!! What happens is that sometimes when a kid does some work on them and logs off the file contents (but not the folders) of their my docs folder in their user area disappear. Not good news for Yr 10 + 11 and their course work. Any ideas? Dosn't seem to happen every time but has on a test user for us so its not kid related.
ChrisH Posted December 7, 2005 Posted December 7, 2005 I dont have any suggestions for the 98 boxes apart form the obvious but make sure you have volume shadow copy enabled on your home directories if you ahvent already so that way you can recover work easy enough.
MkII Posted December 7, 2005 Posted December 7, 2005 I think that can happen if the path in the profile differs from the box, as 98 doesn't play properly with AD. have you tried deleting the profile of your test user?
GrumbleDook Posted December 7, 2005 Posted December 7, 2005 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windowsserver2003/w2003hg/sgch00.mspx It can work ... it just doesn't work well and you have to break the server (an M$ developer's words) to get it happy ... and there is no guarantee that further patches may cock up your settings. M$ recommendation is to use W2K server if you want legacy machines to "sort of" work.
Geoff Posted December 7, 2005 Posted December 7, 2005 You also need to install 'dsclient.exe' on the workstations which is on the Windows 2000 Server CD.
Ric_ Posted December 8, 2005 Posted December 8, 2005 Alternatively, wait for my article on setting up terminal services - it's rather easy to do and a medium-sized room of PCs will happily run off a P4 with 1GB RAM and Server 2003. This will probably be your cheapest way of ditching 98.
GrumbleDook Posted December 8, 2005 Posted December 8, 2005 Saw an interesting one yesterday with terminal services. Bartley Green Technology College uses Thin Station as the hidden client on their machines to access terminal servers. Seemed to run quite smoothly. Anyone come across it before?
RobC Posted December 8, 2005 Posted December 8, 2005 ...and there is no guarantee that further patches may cock up your settings. I want a guarantee that Microsoft's patches will cock up my settings!!!!
Geoff Posted December 8, 2005 Posted December 8, 2005 Bartley Green Technology College uses Thin Station as the hidden client on their machines to access terminal servers. Seemed to run quite smoothly. Anyone come across it before? Also consider PXES
Ric_ Posted December 8, 2005 Posted December 8, 2005 I tried PXES when I was evaluating which method to use. I found that with the age of hardware being used, Thinstation was better suited and the TS-o-matic meant I could quickly knock up a config. I then found a great Etherboot disk which will install itself onto a hard disk so that non-network-booting cards (all the old ones that I was using) could easily boot and pull the thinstation image. Like I said - give me a week and instructions a plenty will be available.
ChrisH Posted December 8, 2005 Posted December 8, 2005 Nice they have released a GUI config since I last looked
tarquel Posted December 8, 2005 Posted December 8, 2005 um....guys - I think your straying from what was asked hehe e_g_r - I have a half 98SE and half XP setup here - ALL connecting on our 2003 SP1 domain controllers.... *take a bow* It *is* possible and it *does* work. What happens is that sometimes when a kid does some work on them and logs off the file contents (but not the folders) of their my docs folder in their user area disappear Not 100% sure what you mean there... can you re-word it so half-asleep folk like me can understand :) If you wanna chat on MSN about anything - feel free. I think I've got it as locked down and workable as it'll get without 3rd party software Cheers N.
e_g_r Posted December 8, 2005 Author Posted December 8, 2005 OK here's what is happening. 98 PC's, drive map to user my docuents does not work, they find docs by navigateing through My Computer ''Think i may need to set user areas as old style share?" They save work as usual in My Doc's on server Sometimes when they log off all of their files but not their folders just go.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now