featured_spectre Posted January 30, 2014 Author Posted January 30, 2014 Not my mind. LOL. Posting on his behalf. lol
Rawns Posted January 30, 2014 Posted January 30, 2014 Last thing I'll say - you can never have too much space. +1 for this statement. 100% correct. 1
jbailey Posted January 30, 2014 Posted January 30, 2014 "remember, it is for a personal build, not a school build or a business build!" Okay I can see what your saying, but the difference from 60gb ssd and 120gb ssd according to google is around £20 quid. So as its your boss, cut yourself some slack and get the one you know you don't have to worry about. As opposed to the one that will begin to slowly fester and nag away at the back of your mind to the point that a year from now every time they walk into the office the first thing you will think is "oh crap, they are going to tell me its running out of space on the OS drive, and I am going to have to migrate all their crap to a bigger drive and reconfigure stuff" and even when you clone the sodding thing to a new drive they will moan on and on for weeks about how its "just not the same" now its upgraded, and now you are the butt of all their personal computer woes and the single undeniable reason for anything ever going wrong on their computer for ever from now until the of time or your suicide, which is now starting to look like a bloody good option btw, as it slowly starts to dawn on you what a terrible, miserable existence your life has now become all because I didn't spend £20 quid extra on a 120gb ssd drive. but you know, he will probably never need more than 60gb anyway, that's loads... 2
Mr.Ben Posted January 30, 2014 Posted January 30, 2014 (edited) @Mr.Ben where are you getting 128GB for £50? and what brand? BT business direct have SANdisk ones at that price - not the best brand, but if its not your data partition I figure it can't do much harm :-) http://www.businessdirect.bt.com/products/sandisk-128gb-ssd-sata-6gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-870X.html?refs=56350000 Edited January 30, 2014 by Mr.Ben 1
Norphy Posted January 30, 2014 Posted January 30, 2014 I wouldn't do this personally. Reason being, smaller SSDs are usually slower than the larger ones in the same range. As I understand it, SSD controllers have a number of channels to be filled. The more channels in use, the more data that can be transferred from the flash at once. The smaller SSDs don't use all the channels, therefore they're slower. I think SSDs around the 240gb mark are supposed to be the best performers. If he's really desperate to have a separate boot drive, get one about that size and partition it.
synaesthesia Posted January 30, 2014 Posted January 30, 2014 For a personal build I wouldn't touch a 60gb. I managed it, just about, with just windows and everything else directed to a mechanical drive, but after just a few months of windows update caching and what-not I was having to otherwise manage my space. Now on a 120gb Samsung and haven't looked back, that's just enough for windows, office, few apps and a couple of my favoured games leaving my mechanical for larger storage where speed isn't an issue (other games, media, general storage).
jamesfed Posted January 30, 2014 Posted January 30, 2014 My home PC uses a Seagate 2TB HDD SSD hybrid drive - seems to speed along quite nicely and it means no pain of having to work between two different drives (e.g. moving your steam library or mucking around with sym links). All work PCs running 120GB SSD - no point in going any more here as our default image is very small as applications are served through App-V.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now