pete Posted October 4, 2007 Posted October 4, 2007 I'm out of touch with UK-based webhosts who don't suck and a project has come along that requires finding an external host for the promotion of an engineering diploma for our cluster. It's a site with about 20 5-10mb flash videos, which will be lucky to see 1000 hits a fortnight, but 2 or 3 times a year it may be hammered for a few weeks. My main concern is clueful tech support, stability and avoiding running into the limitations of shared hosting for those periods of increased activity. Beyond reccommending the host and keeping an eye on the people responsible for maintaining it, I will have no direct involvement with the site. Requirements are: Linux, php5, mysql db, access to crontab 10Gb bandwidth / month 500mb of disk space Backup etc Shell access Root would be nice, but shouldn't be necessary - I'm mulling over a VPS, a dedicated box would be overkill I think. Trouble-free hosting > Cost.
MK-2 Posted October 4, 2007 Posted October 4, 2007 I've used Streamline.net for a few years now. They offer varying packages, but they have one for about 50 a year that is unlimited bandwidth, unlimited webspace, up to 20 sub domains etc. overkill maybe but its worth a look. http://streamline.net/ plus the tech support has helped me out a few times and its about a day max resolution time if I recall hope it helps
plexer Posted October 4, 2007 Posted October 4, 2007 We signed up to streamline and then cancelled due to issues with what they cannot do regarding dns of sites. Ben
pete Posted October 4, 2007 Author Posted October 4, 2007 @plexer you mean the "fail to understand how school.area.sch.uk is assigned issues". The site will be using a bog-stand TLD, not a school/lea one.
plexer Posted October 4, 2007 Posted October 4, 2007 No I mean their inability to change mx records for our email they could host the sch.uk domain fine. Ben
localzuk Posted October 4, 2007 Posted October 4, 2007 Avoid Streamline at all costs - they are incompetent and have cost some friends of mine a significant amount of money through their inaction when asking to free up dns records.
dhicks Posted October 4, 2007 Posted October 4, 2007 > I'm out of touch with UK-based webhosts who don't suck I find the Positive Internet Company (see http://www.positive-internet.com/) to be excellent. Technical support requests are answered efficiently, and they understand the Slashdot Effect and allow a bit of leeway with bandwidth usage. -- David Hicks
pete Posted October 10, 2007 Author Posted October 10, 2007 Any more requests before I hand the reccommendations to the webmonkeys? NB: I don't want this hosted internally. It is nothing to do with me, beyond a bit of initial oversight and suggestions. If it is hosted internally, I have to deal with the associated crap, got enough of my own TYVM.
alan-d Posted October 10, 2007 Posted October 10, 2007 UK2.Net are very good. I've been using them for 3 years and I can't remember any time I've had to call them for a bad service or the site being down.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now