Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi All,

 

I am trying to prepare for the installation of Python 3.3.2 for our ICT departments.

 

I have downloaded both MSI files for 3.3.2 and 2.7.6.

 

During my tests, the default install location is c:\python33 or c:\python27. However, students are 'blocked' from 'seeing' the root of the C:\

 

I am attempting to edit the MSI file using InstEd! but for life of me, cannot find where to edit the default install folder.

 

Is anyone using this software and have you managed to install this software to a more conventional area such as c:\program files\ or c:\program files(x86)?

 

Any advice is welcome.

 

many thanks in advance,

 

Cookie

Posted
For some fairly obvious reasons we keep our programming environments virtualised (using virtualbox) so it doesn't matter where they are. The virtual machines have full admin rights for the kids doing ICT. After all, they wouldn't be able to run what they've created anyway on many a network.
Posted
The following works nicely to store it in a different directory.

 

msiexec /i "\\Location_of_msi\python-3.3.0.msi" TARGETDIR="%ProgramFiles%\Python33" /qb-

 

oooo thank you....

 

I think I also forgot to mention that I/we intend to deploy the MSI via GPO.... any further suggestions?

Posted
You may need to create a MST file to set the install path if your deploying it via GPO, which is easy to do with Orca

 

thank you!

 

Heard of Orca, but never had the pleasure of using it :(

Posted
You may need to create a MST file to set the install path if your deploying it via GPO, which is easy to do with Orca

Ive created a .mst file using Orca with what I think are the correct amendments to the correct fields..... but how do I know 'merge' the two together so I can deploy just the MSI with GPO?

 

Also I tried Simply editing the msi, I have changed each instance where I have found TARGETDIR="" to TARGETDIR="%ProgramFiles%\Python33".

The fields I have amended are:

AdminExecuteSequence>InitialTargetDir

AdminUISequence>InitialTargetDir

InstallExecuteSequence>InitialTargetDir

InstallUISequence>InitialTargetDir

 

I then ran the MSI, but now the default path is simply c:\ instead of c:\python33

 

Anyone point out where I am going wrong please?

 

thanks

 

Cookie

Posted
You don't combine the two files.

When you are deploying via GPO, you have the option to add a transform file, which is when you point it to the MST.

 

Ahhh

 

see where and what you mean now BoredGuy....

 

tested it on a test UO but it still installs to the wrong location. Am I changing the wrong field(s) or entering the wrong syntax?

Posted (edited)

This is the only thing you need to change...

 

InstEd-001.png

 

I have attached an MST which does this for you. Deploy this MST with the MSI and Python will be installed to the Program Files folder.

python-3.3.2.mst

Edited by Arthur
  • Thanks 1
Posted
This is the only thing you need to change...

 

InstEd-001.png

 

I have attached an MST which does this for you. Deploy this MST with the MSI and Python will be installed to the Program Files folder.

 

Arthur..... I cannot thank you enough!!!!

 

I amended the one field and it worked....well worked to a certain... I have a 64bit program trying to install to c:\program files (x86) but its a start :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...