_Bat_ Posted September 20, 2007 Posted September 20, 2007 I know you're making the best out of the situation; but that is a very bad set up for prolonged use. To be honest, the monitor is rarely used. I'm not sure you what you can see from the photo, but the projector is connected directly to the computer. The monitor is disconnected. This is how it is in most classrooms and this is how it stays almost permanantly in most. I sent an e-mail around asking if they wanted the laptops connected to the projectors, or the PCs (stating the consequences of using the PCs) and this is how they wanted it. We cannot afford a VGA splitter for each classroom. So basically the kids use the interactive whiteboard in the classrooms... the keyboard and mouse aren't used for long periods at a time (mainly just for eportal - marking the register). Any word processing etc. for the teacher or pupils is usually done in the ICT Suite which is obviously a much better setup.
enjay Posted September 21, 2007 Posted September 21, 2007 Baseunits need to be on the floor Only if you fancy constantly having to crack them open and go at them with an air duster - I find the PCs on the floor suck all sorts of dust and fluff through the fans, and I clean them far more frequently than the others. Wherever possible, I make sure they are on the desks - less likely to get kicked, too.
meastaugh1 Posted September 23, 2007 Posted September 23, 2007 Apparently there are plans to put the base units underneath, which will help recover some space. We installed some of these Duoflex to attach base units to the underside of the benching. Installation takes slightly longer, but once they're in they look good.
localzuk Posted September 23, 2007 Posted September 23, 2007 I would suggest that it goes further than being uncomfortable for use, I would say it is a health and safety risk. Speak to the health and safety people at your LEA if the school isn't paying any attention.
FN-GM Posted October 2, 2007 Posted October 2, 2007 Keyboard should be infront the screen with mouse to the left/right of the keyboard Not all our classroom PCs are like this See here on our virtual tour for example: http://www.theovalprimary.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13 You can see that the keyboard is to the left of the monitor and when the monitor is in use, they just turn it so they can see what they are doing. There is no room to do it any other way. The desk cannot be any larger due to the doorway being just to the right of it. That just happens to be where the network point is located Bat I like the portrait of you here http://www.theovalprimary.co.uk/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=22&page=view&catid=1&PageNo=1&key=5&hit=1
_Bat_ Posted October 2, 2007 Posted October 2, 2007 Heh... it looks nothing like me, I promise! The sad thing is, as I'm leaving on Friday, that picture will probably come down soon . I'll be honest... I'm finding it very hard to let go
FN-GM Posted October 2, 2007 Posted October 2, 2007 Yes you are going working in a church aren’t you, I know what you mean I didn't want to leave high school but unfortunately sometimes you have to let go. Can you go back when you have finished?
_Bat_ Posted October 2, 2007 Posted October 2, 2007 Can you go back when you have finished? Who knows. I was offered my job back in one school but two years is a long time... things change.
FN-GM Posted October 2, 2007 Posted October 2, 2007 Your going to Preston aren’t you, I think I know were it is (the church) is it a white building? I stay in Preston regular as on of my close friends lives there.
_Bat_ Posted October 2, 2007 Posted October 2, 2007 Yeah, a very big white building with a big white tower that can be seen for miles around. I attached a pic to this post. It isn't the best pic, but there you go.
_Bat_ Posted October 2, 2007 Posted October 2, 2007 Interesting point: They have no IT support on site... they had a glint in their eye when I told them what my job was
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now