dezt Posted September 12, 2007 Posted September 12, 2007 I've just installed a new DC and started using DHCP from static addresses (finaly), I am having a problem though, when people try to log on they have to wait about 15 minutes to get in. If they reboot the computer and retry it logs them on in 10 - 15 secs. I did a search for dhcp problems earlier and found that censornet may have a dhcp server started by default, so I followed the instructions on how to turn it off but I don't know if tht has cured the problem or not. When I log on as admin and run ipconfig this is what I get: domain prefix: local ip address: 192.168.x.x subnet mask: 255.255.x.x gateway: 192.168.x.x the ip, subnet and gateway are fine, but the domain prefix should say "norden2000.local" When i run ipconfig /all the dns servers are wrong, they list the dns servers that I use for the admin domain that point to the county servers. to get it to logon quickly i have to run ipconfig /flushdns, then ipconfig /renew and it the gets all the correct settings that I have set. I have set ip address, subnet, gateway, dns server, domain prefix. does anyone have any ideas why this is happening, it's driving me mad.
Dos_Box Posted September 12, 2007 Posted September 12, 2007 It'll be a DNS problem. Have you got DNS set up correctly?
Guest Posted September 12, 2007 Posted September 12, 2007 Yeh DNS or maybe a rouge DHCP server running somewhere?
FN-GM Posted September 12, 2007 Posted September 12, 2007 have you pointed the DNS address to your DNS server
mattx Posted September 12, 2007 Posted September 12, 2007 have you pointed the DNS address to your DNS server ?? Do you mean the DNS settings on the client ? If so, DHCP should sort that out - [ if DNS was setup correctly to start with !! ]
ctbjs Posted September 12, 2007 Posted September 12, 2007 I know it might sound obvious but have you authorised DHCP?
FN-GM Posted September 12, 2007 Posted September 12, 2007 Yes that is what i mean wasnt worded well, maybe the DCHP wasn't configured properly.
dezt Posted September 12, 2007 Author Posted September 12, 2007 the dhcp sends all the correct info out after i issue an ipconfig /renew command, so i'm assuming that the settngs are correct. How do I determine if DNS is working correctly? DHCP is authorised
FN-GM Posted September 12, 2007 Posted September 12, 2007 If you go on a connected client and look at the status and see what the IP address is for DNS if it the same as your DNS server that bit is right. Also is there anything on the network such as a router that might be giving DHCP addresses out. Make sure DHCP is disabled on them.
dezt Posted September 12, 2007 Author Posted September 12, 2007 If i go to a connect PC, run ipconfig /all the dns settings are the ones for the county dns servers. If i then run ipconfig /renew the dns settings are for my dns server. Confused.......
mattx Posted September 12, 2007 Posted September 12, 2007 How do I determine if DNS is working correctly? Well the first thing I would do is a reverse lookup... so i'm assuming that the settngs are correct. Don't assume anything - do a ipconfig /all and see what comes up as your DNS servers. You checked the event logs on both a client and server ?
dezt Posted September 12, 2007 Author Posted September 12, 2007 i can see all the leases on the dhcp server. how do i do a reverse lookup? is that nslookup from command prompt? If so when I do that it doesn't show the dns server name just the ip address. I'll check the event logs tomorrow, never thought of that
dezt Posted September 13, 2007 Author Posted September 13, 2007 the dns event log doesn't show anything at all in the dns log, when i run nslookup from a client i get server: Unknow. ip address: dns server ip. then if i type in the name for the dns server it comes back and tells me the full name for the server hand tells me the ip address for it. Help, whats going wrong.
mattx Posted September 13, 2007 Posted September 13, 2007 Whats does a client show when you run ipconfig /all ? [ is it pointing to the correct DNS server ]
dezt Posted September 13, 2007 Author Posted September 13, 2007 sometimes when I run ipconfig /all it does not show the correct dns server. If I then run ipconfig /flushdns and then run ipconfig /renew, ipconfig /all then shows the correct dns server. This only happens on some computers and only happens some of the time.
FN-GM Posted September 13, 2007 Posted September 13, 2007 Well it looks like your DHCP is competing with another DHCP server or a network device such as a router.
dezt Posted September 13, 2007 Author Posted September 13, 2007 I thought that, i've looked at another thread and noticed that censornet has dhcp builtin, as we use censornet for pupil internet I followed the instructions and found out that dhcp was running on that, so i've stopped that one. I don't have any other dhcp servers running on the network so i'll just have to check the Wireless router that we've got, but I don't think that has dhcp setup on it.
FN-GM Posted September 13, 2007 Posted September 13, 2007 sounds like that was the problem, also is there the 1 scope on your DHCP?
dezt Posted September 13, 2007 Author Posted September 13, 2007 there is just 1 scope on my dhcp, everything seems to be fine for that now. Fingers crossed it all seems to be working now. Thank you to everyone who has helped me out with this nightmare time for me. I'll be able to sleep at night now. Thanks again
featured_spectre Posted March 11, 2009 Posted March 11, 2009 to bump this thread, I now have a problem, with the email clients. any advice?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now