FN-GM Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 (edited) Whats happened to this thread???? - http://www.edugeek.net/forums/internet-related-filtering-firewall/114447-urgent-google-image-search-filter-12-numbers-showing-explicit-images.html Edited June 6, 2013 by ZeroHour
ZeroHour Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 We will be posting a message later today about that thread, we are just awaiting further information.
synaesthesia Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 Was wondering that, we've started a heavy audit on such things here as a result and making more use of Impero for it. But still, was rather expecting that thread to be moved to BTRD.
FN-GM Posted June 6, 2013 Author Posted June 6, 2013 Why though? It had some handy stuff in relation to fixing the issue......
localzuk Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 Why though? It had some handy stuff in relation to fixing the issue...... Indeed. A post needs to go up asap to explain stuff, so other visitors know what's going on - further info could be added later.
ZeroHour Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 Just to clarify, the thread disappearing doesnt mean its gone for good or deleted, when we have a serious concern raised we will remove the whole thread until the relevant concerns are resolved. Like I said earlier please just hold on, we are going as quickly as possible.
FN-GM Posted June 6, 2013 Author Posted June 6, 2013 Oh thanks, so now we are all in the dark? I thought this site was here for this exact reason. Well done......
elsiegee40 Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 Oh thanks, so now we are all in the dark? I thought this site was here for this exact reason. Well done...... FN-GM it is the way of this world that sometimes things happen for reasons that cannot be made public at the time, sometimes ever. This is not an insult to you personally, any member of the site or anyone else for that matter. The admins have spotted something untoward and, while they investigate, the thread has been removed from public view. It can be restored, if appropriate, once investigation is complete. ZeroHour has explained this and that they will comment further. Until that time we all have to be patient. You seem to demand a full explanation every time something happens and sometimes this is not possible... not just on edugeek but anywhere in life.
FN-GM Posted June 6, 2013 Author Posted June 6, 2013 (edited) @elsiegee40 i am sure you will agree this is an urgent matter to resolve. Edugeek have now removed the resources that will help to address this serious issue. Edugeek was here to help us, all its done by removing it has made things harder. Edited June 6, 2013 by FN-GM
elsiegee40 Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 (edited) @elsiegee40 i am sure you will agree this is an urgent matter to resolve. Edugeek have now removed the resources that will help to address this serious issue. Edugeek was here to help us, all its done by removing it has made things harder. No I don't agree actually. It hasn't been gone weeks. Just a short length of time. Chucking your toys out of the pram achieves nothing. Like I said, sometimes it is necessary and this is one of them. Be patient; the admins are working as fast as they can. Edited June 6, 2013 by elsiegee40
tom_newton Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 My fault this was removed: I asked Shaun to do this, and I can tell you it was NOT for commercial reasons, it was to protect you, and to protect edugeek. 1
tom_newton Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 FWIW, the google/https issues are discussed in a number of threads, and a mitigation for the "interesting" searches is in the latest blocklist, so hopefully little "new" useful info is lost.
CyberNerd Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 Seems it's Google's fault anyway - the images are in safesearch. I've reported to Google and suggest others do too. (feedback button at the bottom of the page)
ZeroHour Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 We have posted and restored the thread at: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/security/114447-urgent-google-image-search-filter-12-numbers-showing-explicit-images-3.html#post979588 Sorry for the delay but we wanted to be sure before restoring the thread and posting.
FN-GM Posted June 6, 2013 Author Posted June 6, 2013 (edited) No I don't agree actually. So you dont agree that getting porn on google images isnt a serious issue......?? Resolving this issue is the highest priority in our school at the moment. Shame others dont agree. Edited June 6, 2013 by FN-GM
ZeroHour Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 So you dont agree that getting porn on google images isnt a serious issue...... FN-GM, this is not a clear cut case of porn, the thread was removed at 3:05pm approx and restored at 4:53pm, we are not talking about a huge amount of time given the concerns. We had wanted to be quicker but that couldnt be helped and considering it was regarding CP I would hope no one would think we didnt act as prudently as possible. This was not to defend companies but prevent people browsing to sites which could cause questions to be raised (even though it was innocent) if discovered in logs later. 2
FN-GM Posted June 6, 2013 Author Posted June 6, 2013 FN-GM, this is not a clear cut case of porn, the thread was removed at 3:05pm approx and restored at 4:53pm, we are not talking about a huge amount of time given the concerns. We had wanted to be quicker but that couldnt be helped and considering it was regarding CP I would hope no one would think we didnt act as prudently as possible. This was not to defend companies but prevent people browsing to sites which could cause questions to be raised (even though it was innocent) if discovered in logs later. I didn't say it was about companies. Its just there is good info on there to prevent this from happening. As you say its a CP issue and its serious, i am shocked that @elsiegee40 doesn't agree! The problem now is we are unable to work on it anymore today... Thanks for getting it back.
elsiegee40 Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 So you dont agree that getting porn on google images isnt a serious issue......?? Resolving this issue is the highest priority in our school at the moment. Shame others dont agree. FN-GM, this is not a clear cut case of porn, the thread was removed at 3:05pm approx and restored at 4:53pm, we are not talking about a huge amount of time given the concerns. We had wanted to be quicker but that couldnt be helped and considering it was regarding CP I would hope no one would think we didnt act as prudently as possible. This was not to defend companies but prevent people browsing to sites which could cause questions to be raised (even though it was innocent) if discovered in logs later. I didn't say it was about companies. Its just there is good info on there to prevent this from happening. As you say its a CP issue and its serious, i am shocked that @elsiegee40 doesn't agree! The problem now is we are unable to work on it anymore today... Thanks for getting it back. To summarise... get real and grow up! This is a very serious issue and the CP and Safeguarding threat meant that it had to be addressed urgently on edugeek too. It took ZH a little over an hour. i would love to think Google would act this quickly. 1
FN-GM Posted June 6, 2013 Author Posted June 6, 2013 To summarise... get real and grow up! This is a very serious issue and the CP and Safeguarding threat meant that it had to be addressed urgently on edugeek too. It took ZH a little over an hour. i would love to think Google would act this quickly. So why in post 11 did you say "No I don't agree actually." When i was referring to this google problem? Then you say it is serious?
elsiegee40 Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 No I wasn't agreeing with you regarding taking the thread away
FN-GM Posted June 6, 2013 Author Posted June 6, 2013 No I wasn't agreeing with you regarding taking the thread away @elsiegee40 I wasn't even saying that. I wasn't talking about the thread being removed. Have a look not once did i say that you would agree with it being removed. I was talking about the google issue. I quote myself from post 10 "I am sure you will agree this is an urgent matter to resolve. Edugeek have now removed the resources that will help to address this serious issue." I agree that i should have been if it was a CP issue. It would have been nice to be told.
localzuk Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 Good call taking it down if it was CP related. Hopefully the IWF will sort that particular site out if it has CP issues!!
ZeroHour Posted June 6, 2013 Posted June 6, 2013 (edited) As you say its a CP issue and its serious, i am shocked that @elsiegee40 doesn't agree! The problem now is we are unable to work on it anymore today... She did agree, you quoted only the first sentence of her point, the point is that it had only been a short amount of time I suspect and not that blocking porn was not urgent. This thread is descending into trolling so its on the cusp of being locked. Regarding the timeline, there is nothing we (edugeek) can do about when you finish work etc, we have said we wanted to get information as fast as possible but not as the risk of being incorrect or useless just so people get the half facts before 3:30. The timeline is what is it... I posted a statement which gave as much as could safely confirm with the hopes that people would realise we are going as fast as possible and no its not ideal removing the whole thread but its better then leaving the issue open, especially since we were hoping to restore the majority of it once concluded. Have faith all, we were trying to prevent issues for you the user while collecting as many facts as possible, we couldnt say more at the time, it sucks but thats life. EDIT: We only removed the thread because we have to check each post for issues before putting it live again, that thread had a lot of replies and rather than miss a quoted post leaving the CP issue live we removed the thread until we were sure. This is a common sense approach I think at least. Edited June 6, 2013 by ZeroHour
FN-GM Posted June 6, 2013 Author Posted June 6, 2013 (edited) I wasn't even saying that. I wasn't talking about the thread being removed. Have a look not once did i say that elsiegee40 would agree with it being removed. I was talking about the google issue. I quote myself from post 10 "I am sure you will agree this is an urgent matter to resolve. Edugeek have now removed the resources that will help to address this serious issue." If i was talking about the thread being removed my quote would not make sense. I agree that i should have been if it was a CP issue. It would have been nice to be told. Edited June 6, 2013 by FN-GM
Recommended Posts