chris_uk Posted May 13, 2013 Posted May 13, 2013 (edited) Hi, Does anybody have any suggestions for a weather API? It needs to be able to do historical look up for a specific post code. An added benefit would be free as well! Thanks Chris Edited May 13, 2013 by chris_uk brain fart
JimmyTown Posted May 13, 2013 Posted May 13, 2013 I would suggest MetOffice DataPoint but I dont believe you can get historical data from it. There is historical data available from them but probably not as verbose as the forecast API they provide. Use it myself.
chris_uk Posted May 14, 2013 Author Posted May 14, 2013 Hi, thanks for that. I've managed to use Weather Forecast & Reports - Long Range & Local | Wunderground | Weather Underground to grab historical data. I'll have a look at the metoffice for a daily download. Chris
Ephelyon Posted May 14, 2013 Posted May 14, 2013 Wouldn't it be great if the actual weather had an API? this.call(sunShine); 1
pcstru Posted May 14, 2013 Posted May 14, 2013 Does anybody have any suggestions for a weather API? I don't know of one that exists in that form. Historical data is available - usually geo coded Lat/Lon. I think HadCru (n) & GISS are available which will include UK. Real Climate has a good list of available data sources. What exactly are you trying to achieve?
chris_uk Posted May 14, 2013 Author Posted May 14, 2013 What exactly are you trying to achieve? Cue sysadmin proving he isn't wrong! I got into a discussion with a member of staff basically saying that the weather effected the behavior of the students, she turned around and said it was rubbish. I've now proved my point that on days that the wind goes above 15mph the behavior in the school decreases and our behavior logs increase on those days. I'm now just putting the data together based on temp. Can we say geek?!
pcstru Posted May 14, 2013 Posted May 14, 2013 Ha! Fantastic. Try Citizen Weather Observer Program (specifically APRSWXNET members), find a station nearby and pull the data.
Marci Posted May 14, 2013 Posted May 14, 2013 Check out https://developer.forecast.io Current forecast - https://api.forecast.io/forecast/APIKEY/LATITUDE,LONGITUDE Time based forecast (past or future) - https://api.forecast.io/forecast/APIKEY/LATITUDE,LONGITUDE,TIME Results spat back as JSON. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now