Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I've decided to "upgrade" my home Win2000 machine to XP by virtualising my exisiting machine and then wiping old C Drive and installing a fresh XP install on it.

 

Downloaded VMWare Convertor - chucked as much data off the C Drive as I could and then converted the Win2000 to a VMWare image on a portable USB drive.

 

1st time took 4 hours and failed at 97% :Cry:

 

Seems that you have to change some reg settings to do with setting the reg size (applies to NT and Win2000 setups) - I wish they'd mention this before I started.

 

Re-tried again this morning while out doing a bit of summer extra work and came back to a lovely working Virtual Machine of my old setup. :D

 

(I sacrificed all my MOHAA, Call of Duty, Flight Sim/Combat games as I didn't think these would work too well inside a VM and I managed to get my image down to 60GB)

 

Just posting to say that the software does what it says on the packet :)

 

regards

 

Simon

Posted

Funnily enough, I used this today for the first time as well. I converted a MS Virtual PC image to a VMWare Server image with no difficulties whatsoever.

 

Good stuff this VMWare...

Posted
Hmm should try that with my PC to virtualise my XP Pro so I can run it on Vista, saves SATA lead swapping. Not that I have swapped from Vista to XP at all since I installed it as it works pritty darned well for me, small niggles but I'm fixing them or have fixed them no issues.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...