6Foot2 Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Our core switch is not booting after we had a power cut this afternoon. When power was restored I found that the 'Fault' LED [below the power LED] and the the DIM LED [on the console] were both blinking orange about once a second. I am waiting for HP to call me back but if anyone could point me in the right direction as to how to solve this before HP get back that would be great. Thanks.
glennda Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Take one module out at a time and try turning it on. If its not one of the main modules it could half borked the management card
FN-GM Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Have you tried plugging into the console port? Might throw some light onto it. 1
6Foot2 Posted February 11, 2013 Author Posted February 11, 2013 Take one module out at a time and try turning it on. If its not one of the main modules it could half borked the management card Have you tried plugging into the console port? Might throw some light onto it. Thanks both. These are both ideas that I had not considered [i am not familiar with the switch as it has just sat there and done its job since being installed] Actually I am hoping that the problem is not too serious as it this switch holds our VLan configuration and so without it we are dead in the water.
glennda Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 If had my old one crash a couple of times randomly. I guess you have already tried the basic power cycle. On the management card there is a rom stick which requires flashing if the management as borked itself, although it should have 2 images on itself to roll back if the first is unusable.
6Foot2 Posted February 11, 2013 Author Posted February 11, 2013 If had my old one crash a couple of times randomly. I guess you have already tried the basic power cycle.... Yes. Tried the power cycle twice. Same result. ...On the management card there is a rom stick which requires flashing if the management as borked itself, although it should have 2 images on itself to roll back if the first is unusable. Not sure how to do all that. I guess HP will be able to talk me through it? Will I need any hardware to do this? [a specific type of cable etc] Thanks.
pritchardavid Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 You might need a new management module, we had to have a new one a few months ago, similar problem
6Foot2 Posted February 11, 2013 Author Posted February 11, 2013 Thanks. Looks like I have my hands full tomorrow. Night all.
FN-GM Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Maybe you should look at getting a second core switch? I assume you have redundancies in your servers? Seems a waste if you don't have it in the network
twin--turbo Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 Any news Dave? Console port will hopefully throw some light. Else take out all cards and reseat, and if that does not work take out all the line cards and restart. Any POE cards? it may bee that the PSU's are over subscribed due to a PSU failure. Rob
crt404 Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 Had the same problem years ago... Agree with most of the posts above - take all cards out and reboot the switch. If the switch boots properly, replace the cards one by one, rebooting the switch with each card you put in.
Geoff Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 BTW you can backup the HP Procurve's configuration to a text file via tftp or SSH scp. TFTP: copy run tftp 10.1.1.10 config1.cfg SSH (from a client PC): pscp -scp -l USERNAME -pw PASSWORD -2 192.168.100.1:cfg/running-config c:\switch.cfg Assuming you have TFTP/SSH file transfer enabled on your switch (which you should).
glennda Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 BTW you can backup the HP Procurve's configuration to a text file via tftp or SSH scp. TFTP: copy run tftp 10.1.1.10 config1.cfg SSH (from a client PC): pscp -scp -l USERNAME -pw PASSWORD -2 192.168.100.1:cfg/running-config c:\switch.cfg Assuming you have TFTP/SSH file transfer enabled on your switch (which you should). you can also download it from the web-interface.
jamesfed Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 Just for the future is your core switch on a UPS? Ours is (simlar model) after we got bored with the length of time it takes to start up after a powercut
Geoff Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 you can also download it from the web-interface. The web interface is bloody awful and I'd suggest you avoid using it where ever possible.
Domino Posted February 12, 2013 Posted February 12, 2013 If you've multiple devices with configs that may change, Rancid is a good idea: Shrubbery Networks, Inc. - RANCID will backup/monitor various device configs, and send a mail when diffs are made. 3
6Foot2 Posted February 12, 2013 Author Posted February 12, 2013 Any news Dave? Console port will hopefully throw some light. Else take out all cards and reseat, and if that does not work take out all the line cards and restart. Any POE cards? it may bee that the PSU's are over subscribed due to a PSU failure. Rob No news. Waiting for HP's call back. Don't want to try anything new until after I have spoken to them [This via my phone]
6Foot2 Posted February 13, 2013 Author Posted February 13, 2013 (edited) And we're back! A new Management Module in the core switch fixed it. Now: Business as normal. Edit: I typed too soon! All of our fibre connected rooms are having problems. Something to do with the VLans on the fibre module. Edit 2: Looks like it is all up and running again. Resolution: Take the fibre module out of slot C and put it in slot D. Reconfigure one VLan in favour of the new slot. Tested stations work. Move the fibre module back to slot C configure VLan back to original state and check stations. All found working. Called it a day. Edited February 13, 2013 by 6Foot2
hcyuan Posted April 18, 2013 Posted April 18, 2013 I know it's been a few months, but I thought I throw in this update. Today I experienced the same issue as the OP. I scoured the web and this was the only relevant post I found with no real resolution for me. Here's my story. Restarted my switch today to quickly restart a bunch of PoE phones. The switch never came back up. It flashed the fault light and the DIM light. Tried power cycling, re-seating the management module, removing all modules except the management module, and re-seating all the modules. None of them work. I noticed that there was a CF card and a memory DIMM on the management board. Right above the DIM light is a CF light, so I thought...meh...what the heck, it's already broken. So, I replaced the memory with another one I had spare (replaced the 256MB PC2700U with a 512MB PC2700U DIMM). 'Lo and behold, the switch came back on!!! Thank you God for us being pack rats and having those old memory around!! Anyways, just thought I post this up on here. This solution worked for me and thought it might help some poor soul who stumbles upon this thread. Keep a spare chassis!! It'd be less stressful.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now