teejay Posted June 7, 2010 Posted June 7, 2010 Ok, what are the 'must have' apps for Android? The ones I really like so far are: Advanced Task Killer - a must have Daily Strip - get your daily dose of Dilbert, Garfield etc. beebPlayer Places Directory Google Sky Map RAC Traffic Services Robo Defense
glennda Posted June 7, 2010 Posted June 7, 2010 ping, port scanner vnc that might just be me being geeky! 1
SimpleSi Posted June 7, 2010 Posted June 7, 2010 Calendar Snooze together with a calendar home page widget (if you use your Android as a PDA) Google Sky Map (finally I can replace my I-Spy book of astronomy) Google Navigator (only thing so far that required a reboot to get working) and OpenSpeed with SimpleSi mod (hello ) to auto set speed limit based on a Google Earth KML file of speed limit signs. (Beta testers welcome ) regards Simon 1
webman Posted June 7, 2010 Posted June 7, 2010 Barcode Scanner K-9 Mail (better mail client than standard IMO) Unit Converter ConnectBot (SSH client) Wifi Analyzer Dropbox 3banana (notepad with sync) Twitter for Android Gesture Search Rimshot (sound effect) androidVNC ASTRO File Manager Last.fm 1
teejay Posted June 7, 2010 Author Posted June 7, 2010 Calendar Snooze together with a calendar home page widget (if you use your Android as a PDA) Google Sky Map (finally I can replace my I-Spy book of astronomy) Google Navigator (only thing so far that required a reboot to get working) and OpenSpeed with SimpleSi mod (hello ) to auto set speed limit based on a Google Earth KML file of speed limit signs. (Beta testers welcome ) regards Simon Openspeed sounds good, can't find it on the market, where can I get it? Oh, forgot airhorn, next time my techs start bickering I'll plug my phone into my speakers, wack up the volume and hopefully shut them up ;-)
SimpleSi Posted June 7, 2010 Posted June 7, 2010 @teejay Any chance of a copy of beebplayer as author has withdrawn it pending imminent abilty for droid devices to work natively (but who wants to wait?) regards Simon
Dos_Box Posted June 7, 2010 Posted June 7, 2010 Dolphin Browser. Makes the default browser look antique.
teejay Posted June 7, 2010 Author Posted June 7, 2010 @SimpleSi Yeah, np, if you could point me in the direction of how to get the app off the phone :-)
SimpleSi Posted June 7, 2010 Posted June 7, 2010 Openspeed The team that started this had the idea of mapping all speed signs as you go along and then using that as a ref - but thats not something to be doing while driving! I've modded it to work in MPH and to load in a csv conversion of a Google Earth KML file. I've already entered about 50 points which should cover my normal work routes. regards Simon
SimpleSi Posted June 7, 2010 Posted June 7, 2010 @teejay I was hoping you had a .apk - I've got no idea how/if possible to transfer an installed app Si
teejay Posted June 7, 2010 Author Posted June 7, 2010 @teejay I was hoping you had a .apk - I've got no idea how/if possible to transfer an installed app Si Figured it :-) Two useful apps, APKoptic and ES File Explorer :-) PM'd you Si, send me you mail addy and I'll send it to you.
SimpleSi Posted June 7, 2010 Posted June 7, 2010 Just sent this via dophin, maybe possible to post from pub after confs now
Hightower Posted June 8, 2010 Posted June 8, 2010 I've got an old, and slowly outdating G1, so memory is limited for me. Getting to the point now where when I install an app I get a low space message - so I had to remove all the stuff that wasn't 'necessity' such as Dolphin Browser. Now my complete list is: AnySoftKeyboard (soft keyboard as standard one stopped working) Bloo (facebook) CallFilter (block unwanted numbers) DailyStrip (dilbert etc - xkcd doesn't work on it though!) Documents To Go (free version allows read only, but that's enough for me) Facebook Sync (pulls facebook pictures down and stores them for each contact) Handcent SMS (awesome SMS app) Movies (flixter - watch trailers etc) PS3 Trophies (so I can see who is online without turning my PS3 on) Sky News (includes widget which is awesome) The Weather Channel (also includes widget) TjekFootball (live to the minute football scores and stats) UltraMate Diary (so I can log when the neighbours are being noisy) World DroidCup (like TjekFootball but for the world cup specifically) That's quite a lot of apps actually, but that's my phone memory pretty much maxed out!
creese Posted June 8, 2010 Posted June 8, 2010 Got a HTC Magic, desperate for December and a new contract. Shazam - for that what's that song? moment. Settings Profile - a profile for every occasion. Chomp SMS - Txts as a conversation. Wavesecure - Security. Trapster - to warn of the yellow boxes at the roadside. Goggles - useful now and then. Maps - for the free sat nav. LogMeIn - not tried it yet. I downloaded last night. Open Home - for the multiple screens etc.
featured_spectre Posted June 8, 2010 Posted June 8, 2010 I am going to buy out my contract and move to O2 and get a HTC Desire, and add the majority of the apps here. YAY
SimpleSi Posted June 8, 2010 Posted June 8, 2010 Got a HTC Magic, desperate for December and a new contract. and I am going to buy out my contract Phones4U will buy out your contract for you - mine was due up on 18th Dec and they bought out mine = my wife's was due next Feb and they bought out hers as well! regards Simon 1
featured_spectre Posted June 8, 2010 Posted June 8, 2010 (edited) is that right! I will look into that! *EDIT* They dont do the desire on O2, which is what I want as my friends and most of my family are on o2 so they'll get free texts to me. Edited June 8, 2010 by featured_spectre
featured_spectre Posted June 8, 2010 Posted June 8, 2010 Just checked with orange, to buy out my contract now (it has 5 months left, and its a £30 a month contract) would cost me £68.08 - how cool! lol. Just gonna phone the o2 shop on Thursday, see if they have the phone, if they do, I will go down, buy out my old one there and then, get a PAC code, set up contract and get the new phone!
alan-d Posted June 8, 2010 Posted June 8, 2010 *EDIT* They dont do the desire on O2, which is what I want as my friends and most of my family are on o2 so they'll get free texts to me. Oh yes they do! Go online o2.co.uk The shops are pants! My local one didn't even know what the Desire was!
featured_spectre Posted June 8, 2010 Posted June 8, 2010 (edited) I meant that phones4u dont do it...I know O2 did it which is why I asked them... Gonna see if carphone warehouse will buy out my old contract etc Edited June 8, 2010 by featured_spectre
tech_guy Posted June 8, 2010 Posted June 8, 2010 If you want a cool app for your Android - try the augmented reality app LAYAR - it's really interesting.
alan-d Posted June 8, 2010 Posted June 8, 2010 I meant that phones4u dont do it...I know O2 did it which is why I asked them... Aaaahhh that makes sense now Back to Apps Google Sky Maps Tracker - very good if you are a walker and want to transfer the data etc to Google Maps. Shop Savvy - Already saved me £3 on a tin of paint at B&Q Fast Reboot xScope Lite - I didn't like Dolphin when I tried it, but I may try it again now I'm used to the phone.
featured_spectre Posted June 8, 2010 Posted June 8, 2010 Just spoke with a guy called Tony at carphone warehouse - nice guy to talk too, gave me honest answers to my questions (rather than giving vague answers), and even told me how to save money when buying out my old contract! What a thoroughly nice bloke! I will call him back on the 12th (my billing date for orange) and then order the phone!
creese Posted June 8, 2010 Posted June 8, 2010 Got a Carphone Warehouse and a phones 4 U at the top of the hill. Might take a walk up later or tomorrow.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now