+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Duplicate My Documents / Documents Folders when using Redirected Folders in Technical; Good morning fellow EduGeekers Right, I'm struggling to find out what the heck is going on here, I suspect is ...
    Thank Post

Duplicate My Documents / Documents Folders when using Redirected Folders

Good morning fellow EduGeekers

Right, I'm struggling to find out what the heck is going on here, I suspect is might be a permissions things somewhere, but, well, I'll run through the situation.

Been using 2008R2 with Windows 7 for over a year now and everything has been fine. This summer, with the additional of new people, whole new class structures and the like, I decided to revisit my GPO settings and started also using GPP for somethings.

Now, the setup is basically locked down on most of the standard settings for GPO, which seems to be working fine - still need the odd tweak here and there which I missed, but that's part of our roles really.

GPP I use for Drive Maps (which I'm loving as it means one set of rules not hundreds of different ones with the Targetting) and also for the Printers (again using the Targetting to make sure things all get round properly) and a few shortcuts (to the likes of Espresso Primary and our ICT Help Desk).

Now, within the GPP, I'm using Folder Redirection to redirect Folders based on Security Groups to three different locations:
    • Staff
    • Students
    • Class Logons

I redirect all the various folders you can do (as some staff are starting to use their contacts for storing, well, contacts) apart from AppData.

Now, when a user logs on, all the above applies perfectly, the only issue is that either Windows 7 or Server 2008R2 is creating a duplicate folder most times they log on which contains some of, but not all of, their work. Now, I can easily go onto the server and move the files over into place, but then the next day (or sometimes even the same day) I need to do it again for them.

It's not even like it's creating a Documents folder and a My Documents Folder, it's actually creating 2 My Documents Folders, something I thought would be a bit impossible in the first place, but hey, Microsoft have found a way.

One of my drive maps maps the My Documents Folder to M:\. This is a legacy thing that staff have been used to over time for saving their work into, and sometimes you can get the M drive pointing to one My Documents folder and the Documents on the computer being redirected to the other, which is highly annoying.

Does anyone know why this might be the case? I suspect it might be permissions, as I said at the top, but even when I've check the permissions are all the same, it still goes ahead and does it, there's no real rhyme or reason to it and I can't seem to find anything on Google either.

Thanks
    Andy T

Thank Post
    Right, ok, I think I've cracked this one.

Basically, the duplicate folders were identical other than one thing. When I right clicked and when to properties > sharing, the network path for one was \\domain.name\userfolder\username\Documents and the other was \\domain.name\userfolder\username\My Documents.

Sometimes, the folder was actually called something else (so amongst my trying to fix, I had set some folders to being old.documents and they were the ones showing as being shared as My Documents, with the folders called My Documents being shared as documents).

So anyway, I went through and having right clicked myself to death with checking the sharing, copied the files into the right place and deleted the other folder and all seems to be well. I shall be keeping my eye on it all just to be certain, but with any luck, that should be the end of that so no more staff wanting my blood as their files had gone walkies!

Thank Post
    You have a mixed desktops, some are Windows 7, which uses the "Documents" folder, and the other is XP/Vista which is using the "My Documents".
    And then something is changing the desktop.ini file in the Documents folder to call it "My Documents"

It's a bug, or possibly WAD depending on you point of view.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    You have a mixed desktops, some are Windows 7, which uses the "Documents" folder, and the other is XP/Vista which is using the "My Documents".
    And then something is changing the desktop.ini file in the Documents folder to call it "My Documents"

It's a bug, or possibly WAD depending on you point of view.
    Wish I did have mixed desktops, they're all Windows 7, this has only started happening since the install of Windows 7 SP1 .. anyway, certainly a bug somewhere, but all seems to be sorted now (or should that be for now).

Many thanks though

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread