+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, 2008R2 Backup Methods in Technical; I am currently doing backups using BackupAssist. I have decided to choose system backup "Windows Imaging" backups using System Volumes ...

Thank Post

2008R2 Backup Methods

I am currently doing backups using BackupAssist. I have decided to choose system backup "Windows Imaging" backups using System Volumes (Bare Metal Recovery) in the event that a complete server recovery is needed. These are being backed up to RDX disks.

I recently however found out that because RDX disks are being used, this method does not allow you to restore individual files, should someone delete a file.

I just wondered what other people have done to get around this and what backup methods people have chosen?

I am currently considering changing this to Windows Imaging backup once or twice each week and a File Backup using File Replication or Zip based backup for the other 3 or 4 days to allow individual files to be recovered. I guess this will be OK as long as the disks are changed daily.

Thank Post
    Au contraire mon ami.

You can (quite easily) do folder/file recovery from a Windows Server Backup file, not by using the backup/recovery tool itself, but by mounting the VHD file in Storage Management.

Here's how. From either Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2;

1. Right click My Computer->Manage -> Storage -> Right click Disk Management then Attach VHD, Select the appropriate VHD backup file.
    2. Once it is mounted you may need to assign a drive letter (right click in the disk area of the Window).

Very easy and very powerful way to recover files.

Note: If you have configured Windows 2008 R2 to backup incrementally to the same media/drive (as it was really designed to be used), then it is possible to select the backup date/time as well, I just can't remember how it's done as I haven't needed to do this for a while.

Your method isn't a bad way (at all) to backup physical servers (for both DR and file recovery). However, for VMs I would use a method to backup the server at the Hyper-V host level.

Thanks,

Bruce.
    Last edited by Bruce123; 2nd December 2012 at 07:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi Bruce,

I have looked into this and it is not possible to restore backups from RDX drives using that method.

Windows Server 2008 Image Backup and REV / rdx drives | BackupAssist: The Windows Backup Software

"However, the operating system sees these devices as “Removable drives” meaning that it will backup to these devices just like it backs up to a DVD drive – by compressing the VHD file.

It turns out that compressed VHD files cannot be mounted, and therefore you cannot restore individual files and directories, or individual applications, from within the standard Windows Server Backup restore wizard.

This is a limitation at the operating system level. We have not yet found a way to work around this limitation (but we’re trying)."

This is why I ask what people are doing in this situation, baring in mind this is a primary school with one server and no money to buy a expensive backup solution.

Thank Post
    I have now found a way around this, so no need for anyone to worry about replying now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    @CommodoreS If you think what you've found out will help others please post your solution.

Thanks

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CommodoreS View Post
    I have now found a way around this, so no need for anyone to worry about replying now.
    I would be interested in your solution

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CommodoreS View Post
    Hi Bruce,

I have looked into this and it is not possible to restore backups from RDX drives using that method.

Windows Server 2008 Image Backup and REV / rdx drives | BackupAssist: The Windows Backup Software

"However, the operating system sees these devices as “Removable drives” meaning that it will backup to these devices just like it backs up to a DVD drive – by compressing the VHD file.

It turns out that compressed VHD files cannot be mounted, and therefore you cannot restore individual files and directories, or individual applications, from within the standard Windows Server Backup restore wizard.

This is a limitation at the operating system level. We have not yet found a way to work around this limitation (but we’re trying)."

This is why I ask what people are doing in this situation, baring in mind this is a primary school with one server and no money to buy a expensive backup solution.
    Hi,

you manage to buy a new server?

I have few spare servers lying around....let me know if you need and I will donate it to you.

Thank Post
    The solution is a logical one and not ideal, but it works so it is a solution.

1. Connect an external USB HDD to the server.

2. Configure backups to backup to the External Hard Drive using the Bare Metal Method.

3. Configure a pre-backup task of:
    rd f:\WindowsImageBackup /s/q
    rd g:\WindowsImageBackup /s/q

Where F: is the RDX drive letter and G: is the external HDD letter.

4. Configure a post-backup task of:
    XCOPY g:\WindowsImageBackup\* F:\WindowsImageBackup /s /i

4. Configure a windows server scheduled task to run FreeEject to eject the RDX backup at a time you know the copy would have finished. Free Removable Media Eject Utility

Now individual files can be restored from the backups, as well as creating an extra backup on the external HDD which is useful incase someone has forgotten to put the RDX disk in.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Get2theChoppa View Post
    Hi,

you manage to buy a new server?

I have few spare servers lying around....let me know if you need and I will donate it to you.
    Thank you for your kind offer, but I have now found a solution which works. Thank you once again.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread