+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, HP 620 Imaging problems in Technical; Not sure if this is a Win 7, WDS or a hardware problem TBH. I have built an HP620 and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts

HP 620 Imaging problems

Not sure if this is a Win 7, WDS or a hardware problem TBH.
    I have built an HP620 and run sysprep on it from inside system 32 etc. All seems to go as you would expect
    When I try and capture the image as I have done on other machines before, I do not get any syspreped volumes come up in the list.
    The machine was OEM so I reimaged with a volume license just in case this was the problem.I also removed the partition so that there is only one drive in case it was looking at the wrong one.
    I follow the same set of instructions I always have: booting from network card, F12 again, capture, then I get the wizard as you would expect. But no volume.
    Any ideas anyone? This is driving me mad

Thank Post
    you probably need an updated storage driver installing on your wds boot media as i believe its one the win7 disk dosent support by default (could be wrong) just be aware i have imaged these and whatever method i chose (and on various networks) they are slow to deploy images to

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed, you can check by droping out to command prompt and trying to get a dir listing of d: (c is usually the unencrypted boot partition)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    you probably need an updated storage driver installing on your wds boot media as i believe its one the win7 disk dosent support by default (could be wrong) just be aware i have imaged these and whatever method i chose (and on various networks) they are slow to deploy images to
    I'm not sure what you mean - I have already imaged a whole set of windows 7 machines using the same method so wouldnt the drivers etc all be there - or are they specific to the HPs?
    If they are, how do I find out and where do I put them??
    Last edited by witch; 21st March 2011 at 10:05 PM.

Thank Post
    If you addon MDT you can inject drivers into the PE environment and into the images during the image process.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean - I have already imaged a whole set of windows 7 machines using the same method so wouldnt the drivers etc all be there - or are they specific to the HPs?
    If they are, how do I find out and where do I put them??
    same as any driver for any hardware if your lucky the windows disk has it built in if youre not it dosent. To add drivers to a wds boot image you need to download the waik kit and then use dism to inject the appropriate drivers into the image then re upload the new image to wds

if you are using mdt just add the drivers to its repositry and rebuild the deployment share and reupload the new boot images

Thank Post
    ..or I could just use Ghost instead???

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    ..or I could just use Ghost instead???
    well yes but being able to boot from a network without having to find cds set up seeesions etc is much better and its not that hard to inject drivers just a bit of a pita

Thank Post
    Yes I agree - what i might do is ghost for now (they wanted these machines yesterday) and then try and sort out the driver issue when I have a bit more time (hah!)
    Thanks for your help

Thank Post
    if it helps instructions for adding drivers to win7 below (some of this is more relavant if you want to make a pen drive for a specific pc but what you need is in there)

You may need to do this if the sata / network drivers are not built in. Sata important full stop network if you plan to use wds (mdt can add its own drivers you just need to remake the boot images but you will still need to do this if you plan to wds out the image at a later stage)

on a pc/server download and install the latest version of windows aik (about 1.6gb iirc so go have a coffee)

go to start\all programs\microsoft windows aik\deployment tools command prompt (if you are on a pc/server with uac enabled then run as administrator or it wont work)

to make it simpler copy the boot.wim and install.wim from your install media to say d: and make a temp dir on d: called mount

first you need to work out which part of the image to mount so type the following

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:d:\boot.wim
    or
    dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:d:\install.wim

if its boot.wim personally I add drivers to both parts 1 and 2 to be on the safe side with install you probably want index 3 pro and can probably safely ignore the rest apart from possibly ultimate (4 I believe)

now to mount the image to the mount dir (this allows for adding drivers but you can also manually add any files you want as well

dism /Mount-Wim /wimfile:d:\boot.wim /index:1 /MountDir:d:\mount
    or
    dism /Mount-Wim /wimfile:d:\boot.wim /index:2 /MountDir:d:\mount
    or
    dism /Mount-Wim /wimfile:d:\install.wim /index:3 /MountDir:d:\mount

while waiting now is a good time to extract all your drivers so they are in sensible folders and contain .inf/.cab files (exe/zip files arenít any use) best bet is to create another temp file on d called drivers then have drivers\audio drivers\video etc you may as well add any drivers you can that way when booted into win7 properly the pc will have them all installed (there are some exceptions apply to this for instance hp quicklaunch keyboard stuff needs running from the exe)

DISM /image:d:\mount /Add-Driver /driver:d:\drivers\ /recurse

if you have a lot of drivers this again may take a while

when thatís finished you need to write this back to the wim file make sure you have the /commit on the end or you will have done nothing

dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:d:\mount /commit

repeat for any other wim files/indexes needed. Boot.wim is basically winpe so this needs to be done for wds and initial boot from dvd/pen drive. Install.wim is the actual windows 7 you will install

then just add the boot.wim back to wds

Thank Post
    Sorry - too thick to understand any of that I'm afraid. I think I would only get it if I could watch someone do it. Am I on the laptop in question or the server? Which 'install media'? The only install media I have is a Win 7 disc
    Do I presume that when you talk about extracting drivers you mean from the laptop?
    Don't understand the commands or how to use them.
    Going to stop there because I will just make myself look even more stupid than I already do..
    Ghost didn't work either - couldn't put a CD rom driver on the laptop so that was a non-starter...unless someone knows how I get round that?
    I'm only a part-time tech and some days I wish I wasn't. If I don't get these laptops out by Friday I probably won't be anymore so that'll be one less worry....
    Can I use anything else to image it - something EASY

Thank Post
    This might help:
    Building a Standard Image of Windows 7: Step-by-Step Guide

Going to give it a go myself today....

Thank Post
    in a nutshell then

download waik and install it on a pc (dosent really matter where just preferably not the pc you are making the image of or one you are about to wipe)

get your win7 install media and copy the file x:\source\boot.wim (with x being cd/pen drive you use to install windows from) to your pc hard drive

create a folder on the same hard drive called drivers

download the relavant drivers from hp (so in this case network and sata (probably included in chipset)

using something like power archiever or winrar extract the exe files the drivers came as to a usefull format and place in c:\drivers\network or c:\drivers\sata

open up a wiak command prompt (as administrator iy you pc suffers from uac) and navigate to c:
    run the dism command above
    when you have an updated boot.wim open up wds and add it as a boot image (with an appropriate name)

14. Thanks to sted from:

witch (22nd March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are you certain that all recovery partitions and such have been excised, they can mess up WDS.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Are you certain that all recovery partitions and such have been excised, they can mess up WDS.
    Yep - when I upgraded it from OEM to my volume license I deleted all the partitions.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread