+ Post New Thread
Virtual Learning Platforms Thread, Switching from Moodle to Frog in Technical; This summer the secondary school I am a technician at will be switching from Moodle to Frog. I have read ...

Thank Post

Question Switching from Moodle to Frog

This summer the secondary school I am a technician at will be switching from Moodle to Frog.

I have read up all the post on here, and elsewhere about Frog, but wanted to hear back about some of the problems that others have encountered when switching VLE.
    I have read that some people had problems with using Frog with IE 9, and haven't found out if such problems have been resolved.

Just any notes that anyone has on the set-up/transfer from Moodle or other VLE's, and what work can be expected would be greatly appreciated.

Also we have renewed our licence with ClickView, which integrates with Frog as well, any notes on this would also be appreciated.

Last of all will Frog be able to integrate with library software, we are currently using autolib library software, again any notes would be appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you very much in advance if you reply.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 782 Posts
    Blog Entries
    *from* Moodle to Frog?

*facepalms*

3. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

themightymrp (27th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Sorry I can't help because I am a big Moodle fan but if you have a moment I would be interested in understanding why the move from Moodle to Frog.

Thank Post
    As a Frog school I have to say, not impressed Do you know if you are going straight in with the new Frog OS 4? Which, may I add, I have had no test of yet.

You may want to contact @mthomas08 on here, he is a big lover of Frog and knows a heck of a lot more about it than most.

PS - the IE9 stuff seems to be ok these days. I'm running IE10 on Windows 7 and have had no issues so far

Thank Post
    Having learnt more of moodle/Frog over the times I am still Pro Frog especially on the development plans and I really do see massive potential with it. Frog was a no brainer at the time for us, we had a lot of staff who wanted develop areas, websites, interaction and develop their work/courses online for quick/simple access.

Anyway, as for the Library software I am not too sure that integrates in to Frog. I know they have done it with Eclipse.

Our problems with frog:
    Unable to create online databases using the forms
    Homework function could be simpler, although there are two ways one very simple and one with all the details perhaps one in the middle could be added.
    Our Active area had problems
    When we changed DFE number (long story and not frogs fault) this caused massive problems for data replication from SIMs.

Adding the users/sims data was a walk in the park to setup and maintain especially comparing to the way moodle is. That really is the biggest difference, frog is pre-ready setup and can go right away. Moodle requires the know how and the time to develop.
    Having seen several setups, VLEs, portals I have to say if I had the choice it would be Frog or Moodle. I hope you get FrogOS asap, I have seen it and I am very impressed with this. Although I will be moving on to another job much closer to home, they have moodle and I dont have intention on changing this.

7. Thanks to mthomas08 from:

musejay1 (2nd April 2013)

Thank Post
    I introduced FROG at the last school I was at and moved jobs, the new school I moved didn't really want to fund the purchase of FROG due to the cost but weren't happy with their current VLE so we started our own Moodle have to be honest this started off slow and was a bit of work (but to be honest no more than FROG) but has gone from strength to strength.

I think either is a good system and to be honest thought Moodle would be alot more work than FROG but hasn't really proved to be. FROG looks very pretty, but if you put a bit of work into Moodle you can make it look reasonable, we have linked in users using AD so SSO internally, with help from another company made our own Subject\Class importer from SIM's so staff can assign resources and tests\quizzes to their classes with these being automatically marked.Built in things like Twitter, Facebook own youtube channel etc which gives it a more modern feel.

We also had a member of staff come from another school that were using FROG and really was one of the drivers of FROG at their as I speak to the schools ICT team and we introduced her to Moodle and our Web Development Manager gave her some initial training and support, I left it for a few months then we had a loom at what she had created and I had a word with her about what she thought about the two systems, she said that the feed link in FROG was really good as it displays information to students relevant to them but in general she found Moodle easier to use and their wasn't really anything she could do in FROG that she couldn't really do in Moodle from a teaching perspective.

The other thing I found really useful from FROG was the Remote Access to PC's although this had issues with Windows 7 initially but has been resolved now and was an extra cost but found this really useful for staff and students, although we have developed our own where I am now.

Two things I wasn't happy with with FROG was their Parental Portal bit was very Poor and didn't work well and the school I introduced this moved to Insight from Tasc the same as we use once they had a looked at it where I work now. The support could also be a bit and hit and miss for a couple on months it could be excellent then for a couple of Months be really poor.

Not sure if any of this helps, just my eperience.

9. Thanks to Steven_Cleaver from:

musejay1 (2nd April 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    *from* Moodle to Frog?

*facepalms*
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldowl View Post
    Sorry I can't help because I am a big Moodle fan but if you have a moment I would be interested in understanding why the move from Moodle to Frog.
    The reason why is simply because we have been told to.

Thanks for all your posts, you experience will hopefully give us incite as to how the change will go.

Thank Post
    I'm also a big frog user. We have 3rd party integration into quite a few products but not our library system: eclipse.

Happy to help, just reply here or pm me to arrange a phone call / virtual tour.

Graham

12. Thanks to S.C. from:

musejay1 (5th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by musejay1 View Post
    The reason why is simply because we have been told to.

Thanks for all your posts, you experience will hopefully give us incite as to how the change will go.
    Good luck with Frog, I found it to be an excellent VLE along with Moodle probably the best two I have used, the one issue I did have with Frog was everyones expectations especially SLT as with paying so much money they expected this to be up and running and making an impact almost imediately which is obviously not possible as it takes a bit of time to get going and needs proper planning and structure as does any VLE, so would deffinately make whoever decided on Frog, presume a member of SLT get them to drive this with staff to make sure it is used and try to start with a couple of key departments who will set an example and possibly provide training for others, we started with two then another 5 followed by the rest.

Opposite with Moodle because it was free, expectations weren't so high so was easier to meet expectations and to be honest exceed what was expected initially and Staff and SLT are much happier with this than the comercial one they had originally but again get SLT on board always key as I am sure you know.

If you are any where near us (Birmingham) I could put you in touch with a couple of schools that are using Frog really well for some ideas.

14. Thanks to Steven_Cleaver from:

musejay1 (5th April 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread