+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Facility Eportal in Technical; This is probably another stupid question, but I still haven't quite gotten to grips with this program (CMIS or EPortal). ...

Thank Post

Facility Eportal

This is probably another stupid question, but I still haven't quite gotten to grips with this program (CMIS or EPortal). Can anyone tell me how to change the teachers login name and password to access eportal?

I understand that the login name and password for EPortal are seperate from the standard CMIS logins (they are edited in CMIS under options >> Users >> Resource Passwords?). When I use the current login username and password for a teacher (the one that appears to have been generated by the system) it works, but if I change it and click modify, the logon no longer works using the new credentials. Is there something I need to click to update the database or have I hit another bug?

Cheers

Thank Post

Re: Facility Eportal

once you have changed the password in CMIS for e-portal, you need to stop and restart the eportal service on your eportal server. that should do the trick, you have to do this each time you change passwords.

Thank Post

ops:

Thank Post

Hi
    The teachers login names and passwords for ePortal are held in the resource password list within Facility CMIS. When you alter these, you then have to goto the ePortal Controller and rebuild the user accounts list and then restart the two facility services, the Facility Data Server and the Facility ePortal services for these changes to be applied. I have also found that any alterations to the usernames or passwords during the day will be applied overnight, and ready for the next day.

Hope this helps.

Thank Post

you dont need to rebuild, just stop and start!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by danIT
    once you have changed the password in CMIS for e-portal, you need to stop and restart the eportal service on your eportal server. that should do the trick, you have to do this each time you change passwords.
    Just tried this, but didn't appear to work. Is there just this one service needed to be restarted or two like stitch & monkeyx said?

Quote Originally Posted by stitch
    I have also found that any alterations to the usernames or passwords during the day will be applied overnight, and ready for the next day
    Have you found this as well Dan?

Thanks guys.

Thank Post

Not sure you have to do steps 1 and 2 anymore(I was originally advised to when we first had almost 4yrs ago) it only takes a few second to do anyway.

1)Rebuild login name table (facility controller)
    2)Send security details to the server (facility controller)
    3)Stop and start both services.

4)Stop facility CMIS service (eportal should then stop automatically after a prompt) and then wait a few seconds. Had one issue when I think I was too quick.

5)Restart facility CMIS service
    6)Wait another few seconds Restart facility ePortal service

Spoken to a Serco guy on this and he agreed it was best to wait just in case thing took a little while to stop/start properly. He also confirmed the services do stop/start automatically at night to pic up changes. Which makes me think steps 1 and 2 may not need to be done. (You may have to with brand new users?)

Thank Post

Sorry to bring up an old thread again, but we are -finally- getting this put into some use in school. We were waiting for a new server which has now arrived and been set up.

I am hoping to do staff training on EPortal today and have them using it by Monday, but it seems that teachers not only have access to their own class via EPortal, they can also access everyone elses. This is not something I am keen on and i'm sure there is somewhere in the many security options to change it, but there are so many options available that I don't really want to fiddle (seeing as this has to be working by midday).

Does anyone know which option I need to change which will disallow access to student records from other classes?

Thanks

Thank Post

You can stop access to other teaching groups, but you cannot stop teachers accesing other pupil details as they have access to the student records section of the menu and on the front billet screen.

Well by cannot you can just edit the xml files and comment the bits you dont want out, if your unser of how to do this let me know and i will upload the changed xml files for you

Thank Post

Do most people allow teachers access to all pupil data then? If so, i'll just keep it that way and explain that it does have its advantages.

Thank Post

We did just allow this for all teachers and there are advantages for the teachers if we do this especially for heads of years, form tutors etc but there are downsides too, especially if stave leave pc's unattended and logged in although this is aided by timeouts on logins and eportal.

Thank Post

Its generally well accepted that staff may have a need to access pupil details of those not directly in their own class - for example obtaining assessment results etc.

As long as staff follow basic security procedures (log out etc etc) then there isnt a problem - lets remember that most teachers keep their desk/filing cabinet full of personal info on pupils!

Thank Post

I think its designed (wisely) to let staff access student details, it takes the pressure off admin staff every time a teacher needs a phone number. It also allows a more holistic view of students

However it does raise important process issues in areas such as contacting students families where there may be issues with a family that may not be known to all members of staff. One of whom may then contact the family.

E-portal does require a slight step change in the way that systems are used as they are no longer closed. This becomes more important as you give parents access and increase functionality in areas such as behaviour. It really does force staff to think about the data they are entering.

From a purely practical point of view it is possible to obscure most bitlets if you are desparate to by altering the xml file. This is most commonly done to give all staff access to all groups for assessment but I have seen it used in my travels to obscure a particular piece of information e.g. medical details.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread