+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
Mac Thread, RM CC4 & Apple Mac in Technical; Good morning everyone. My school currently uses CC4 for its curriculum network and Server 2008R2 +Windows 7 clients for its ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    314
    Thank Post
    197
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    RM CC4 & Apple Mac

    Good morning everyone.

    My school currently uses CC4 for its curriculum network and Server 2008R2 +Windows 7 clients for its Admin network.
    I am interested to know if you are able to add Apple systems (whether this be OSX or Boot camp Windows 7) to the CC4 windows based network we use for curriculum.
    Is this an easy task to perform, or would I have to get RM $upport for this?
    Last time I contacted RM for help on adding a macmini running bootcamp to CC4, I was told it was not possible and that I needed an Apple support plan on my account for them to discuss this.

    Any help would be super.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    mnah mnah!
    Posts
    1,127
    Thank Post
    275
    Thanked 227 Times in 173 Posts
    Rep Power
    113
    Yes. A CC4 network is just a standard Microsoft network with a fancy front end. Follow the guides that are stickied on this forum for authenticating a mac to a windows domain and you're done.

  3. Thanks to Roberto from:

    talksr (9th January 2012)

  4. #3
    clareq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    777
    Thank Post
    57
    Thanked 199 Times in 131 Posts
    Rep Power
    103
    You will need to smartclient the windows side, and we have a macmini as a server to manage the mac side of the machines. Use deploystudio to put images of both the MacOS and windows on the machines, and reFIt to allow students to select which OS to use at boot.

  5. Thanks to clareq from:

    talksr (11th January 2012)

  6. #4
    rh91uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    877
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    Or do you have access to extend the schema?

    (Extending Active Directory for Mac OS X clients « Michael Kuron's Blog)

  7. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    210
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq View Post
    You will need to smartclient the windows side, and we have a macmini as a server to manage the mac side of the machines. Use deploystudio to put images of both the MacOS and windows on the machines, and reFIt to allow students to select which OS to use at boot.
    Pretty much all you would need to know is above! This is exactly what we do. Although the image i've created for our windows partitions seems to build as client number 8 for every machine... Has this happened to you clareq?

  8. Thanks to SC92 from:

    ste1988 (10th January 2012)

  9. #6
    ste1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    185
    Thank Post
    81
    Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    We are doing just this here, and works well, although because we are running windows xp, we can longer add any more new macs, due to them only support windows 7, but because you are already running win7, you shouldnt have a problem, you will need the smartclient tool to be able to build the windows partition as cc4. Most time consuming part for me, as bootcamping all the macs, but now i have a mac mini server and deploystudio setup, i can build both partitions in under an hour, and multiple machines, the mac mini server is defintely worth the £600 they cost!


    Quote Originally Posted by SC92 View Post
    Pretty much all you would need to know is above! This is exactly what we do. Although the image i've created for our windows partitions seems to build as client number 8 for every machine... Has this happened to you clareq?

    SC92, i seem to have this problem too, mac side will pick up the computer information from deploystudio, but the windows side does not, not a big problem, but annoying to manually rename every machine, when studio has a feature to do it!

  10. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    210
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    26
    I'd be interested in how you manually re-name machines after they're built onto CC4 ste! Only asking because we've had 8 macs stolen over the weekend and the mac side will be stupidly simple to re-build but I don't really want/have the time to sit through and smartclient a windows partition on 8 machines as you can probably imagine! Thinking building then manually changing the names if it saves me more than several hours...

  11. #8
    ste1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    185
    Thank Post
    81
    Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by SC92 View Post
    I'd be interested in how you manually re-name machines after they're built onto CC4 ste! Only asking because we've had 8 macs stolen over the weekend and the mac side will be stupidly simple to re-build but I don't really want/have the time to sit through and smartclient a windows partition on 8 machines as you can probably imagine! Thinking building then manually changing the names if it saves me more than several hours...
    As far as i know, its just the same as renaming any other xp machine, or you can do it on the RMMC. Depending what permissions you have etc.

    Id be tempted to reimage, and call the machine you image something else, like rebuild machine, just so it doesnt effect the machine you orginally imaged, like having 6 machines on the network called machine 8.

    Failing this, which is what ive had to do here, its simply make a clean xp image, with a few bits on and smartclient, and then smartclient everyone, this is only because of what rm suggested, but i was hoping my theory would work.

    The key is not to have deploy add them to the domain, so to give you time, to restore image, rename, then add to domain,

    As you said, its still pretty user involved, but better then smartclient everyone, then wait 2-3 hours for them to build.

    Sorry to hear about them being nicked though mate

  12. Thanks to ste1988 from:

    SC92 (10th January 2012)

  13. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    210
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    26
    I really like the idea of creating a base image of just bare Windows 7 which I can instantly roll out to the new machines at once. Will save a LOT of time installing Windows over and over and then applying the bootcamp updates too. thanks a lot!

  14. #10
    ste1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    185
    Thank Post
    81
    Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by SC92 View Post
    I really like the idea of creating a base image of just bare Windows 7 which I can instantly roll out to the new machines at once. Will save a LOT of time installing Windows over and over and then applying the bootcamp updates too. thanks a lot!
    Yeah it does save alot of time, i have win xp here, and installing that, really does get very boring after the first time lol, plus smartclient needs .net framework as well

  15. #11
    clareq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    777
    Thank Post
    57
    Thanked 199 Times in 131 Posts
    Rep Power
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by SC92 View Post
    Pretty much all you would need to know is above! This is exactly what we do. Although the image i've created for our windows partitions seems to build as client number 8 for every machine... Has this happened to you clareq?
    No, I created a syspreped image with fully patched Windows and the RM Smart client on it, unnamed and not on the domain. I use deploystudio to put on the image, it runs mini setup and then I use Smart client to add it to the domain and rename it.

  16. 2 Thanks to clareq:

    SC92 (10th January 2012), ste1988 (10th January 2012)

  17. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    210
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 34 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq View Post
    No, I created a syspreped image with fully patched Windows and the RM Smart client on it, unnamed and not on the domain. I use deploystudio to put on the image, it runs mini setup and then I use Smart client to add it to the domain and rename it.
    Sounds like a great idea, think that's what ste does too! Thanks for the input this will really help me, and hope i've helped out a little too.

  18. Thanks to SC92 from:

    ste1988 (10th January 2012)

  19. #13
    ste1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    185
    Thank Post
    81
    Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by SC92 View Post
    Sounds like a great idea, think that's what ste does too! Thanks for the input this will really help me, and hope i've helped out a little too.
    Yeah thats exactly how ive got round it, clareq, what does your mini setup do?

    Cheers

  20. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    314
    Thank Post
    197
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    Thanks or all of the posts and help.

    Just to clarify, would the macmini (or similar) need mac server to do the job, or could it get away with just running osx?
    We have a mac mini dual core at the moment, which may be a good one to use.

    Thanks again

  21. #15
    clareq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    777
    Thank Post
    57
    Thanked 199 Times in 131 Posts
    Rep Power
    103
    When you sysprep a windows installation it automatically runs a mini setup once the image is put onto a new machine - resets the SID and so on. Mac server has workstation manager, so you would need that to manage the macs.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Virtual RM CC4 Machine on apple mac
    By tj2419 in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 3rd October 2011, 02:53 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20th February 2009, 09:41 AM
  3. Get a Life - You Apple Mac Fans.....
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 23rd February 2008, 08:20 PM
  4. School Apple Mac Open Day
    By Rozzer in forum Mac
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 4th July 2007, 10:50 PM
  5. How to punish an Apple Mac
    By Roberto in forum Mac
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19th September 2006, 12:00 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •