+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Just bought a Mac Mini, so next - Monitor! in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Just bought a Mac Mini, so next - Monitor!

Just bought a new Mac Mini for use as a server on site replacing our ailing Xserve (remember them!)

Now, it doesn't come with a DVI or VGA port at the back, instead comes with HDMI and Thunderbolt. I don't particularly feel the finance department will be pleased with £899 for an Apple Cinema Display. So, can someone please recommend a monitor that will work with HDMI (or Thunderbolt but I doubt anything is out there!) that will work well with the Mac Mini and ideally carry sound (Just in case it is needed!)

I believe it is possible to use a HDMI to DVI to VGA converter for use with our current monitors, but we need to purchase a new monitor anyway, so, I'll weigh up the options.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thunderbolt is directly compatible with DisplayPort, and HDMI is directly compatible with DVI.

So, you can go with *any* monitor that has any of DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI or VGA.

I bought some BenQ 22" screens recently - http://benq.co.uk/products/LCD/index.cfm/product/1164 to be precise.

Very crisp, vivid colours, bright, responsive and sleek looking. I got them locally so they cost a bit more than online but they can be got for < £100.

Don't go with DVI-VGA though, as you'll lose some definition in my experience.
    Last edited by localzuk; 3rd August 2011 at 09:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Does DVI-VGA work when your source is MiniDisplayPort/HDMI? Those sources are both digital, aren't they? -How do you get an analogue (VGA) signal from those?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dayzd View Post
    Does DVI-VGA work when your source is MiniDisplayPort/HDMI? Those sources are both digital, aren't they? -How do you get an analogue (VGA) signal from those?
    I believe there is a small circuit in the adapters (as doing the conversion wouldn't be a hugely complicated thing) - Apple provide their own DisplayPort -> VGA adapters.

Thank Post
    Nice research
    There is a hdmi > vga and mini display port (aka thunderbolt) > vga adaptors sold by Apple or various accessory people. I believe the 'brains' are in the motherboard connection themselves, detect a VGA screen and send an analogue signal instead...

PS Why no KVM?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread