+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Students cant access 40D videos on youtube in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Students cant access 40D videos on youtube

Hello,

I have a media studies teacher that wants to show 'Skins Season 1 Episode 1' to a class. Students can access YouTube and watch videos, however all the TV shows from 40D on YouTube donít load.
    The videos load for staff accounts. Does anyone know if there's a separate domain I need to unblock for students to be able to view these videos?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Isn't skins an 18?

Thank Post
    Yes it is, So does anyone have any idea's why 40D content cant be loaded for students?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    I think the fact it's an 18 is a clue... I'd advise the teacher not to show them, it's inappropriate material for school age children, and the school could get in to a lot of trouble for it. Plus I'm pretty sure that the public screening of 4OD content is illegal anyway...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not one to argue with LosOJos, I am unsure on the current ERA licence and scope, you might be able to show them, but not record (just to be clear).

This however does not get around the fact it is an 18 rating and has no place in a school.

6. Thanks to GREED from:

LosOjos (24th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the concerns regarding the age rating. Some of the students are 18+ (All of them might be, I'm not sure) as it's an A-Level group. I will check with the teacher before she goes teaching a lesson on it.
    I don’t believe the fact that it's an 18 has anything to do with the content not loading though. All 40D content on YouTube will not load for students. 18+ or not 18+ content, it will not load for student accounts if it's 40D. The video keeps trying to load on an endless loop.
    Regarding the public screening. I cant comment as i do not know the laws for this, but why would 40D put the content on YouTube if it cant be viewed?

So can anyone help me as to why NO 40D content will load for a student’s account but loads on a staff account?

thanks very much.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Your filtering could be blocking this. Are you saying all 4OD content is blocked, but other similar material is fine? Can staff load it ok?

The fact that it can be viewed is immaterial to the fact that the school should not be showing it to a public audience without the proper licence. ERA licence is the one to look for, and depending on what you pay will tell you what you can and cant show.

I can download TV programmes without a TV Licence, but I shouldn't legally (and won't).

Thank Post
    Thanks GREED.

Here's a link to the 40D youtube page YouTube - Kanal von 4oDDrama
    Any video uploaded here can be viewed on a staff account. If you try to load one of the videos on a student account the page loads up and then the video attempts to load and never does load. ( I left it for 30 minutes just incase it was being deadly slow..)

I'm wondering what could be getting blocked to prevent students loading these videos? One theory i have is the 40D videos on youtube have 4 advertisement videos before the 'Main video' starts. Could it be these advertisement videos that are being blocked preventing the main video from loading?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts
    What is your filtering is done at a school level or by lea?, does the filtering offer different levels of access to your teachers than your pupils, these things only you can find the answer to yourself.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's possible but unlikely. This tells me that there is definately a block in place with student accounts. Web filtering, and often this includes ads, but not the ads in the video, but other ads on the page. My experience of web filter defaults is it clean sweeps pages. Could also be the player that is getting caught. This really needs to be compared to staff settings to find the answer.

Or... as Plexer said above while I was typing
    Last edited by GREED; 24th November 2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: modification

Thank Post
    plexer, we are using smoothwall for our internet filtering. It is set up to use different groups, eg StudentInternet, StaffInternet etc. Any AD user account that has the student internet filtering cant get the 40D content to load.

So yes, pupils get more restricted access than staff.

Thank Post
    to find out what the browser is looking for try downloading fiddler2 it logs all broser traffic and it tells you if a location is blocked.

Fiddler Web Debugger - A free web debugging tool

i use it quite a bit here

hope it helps
    screen shot
    http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/images/sshot-1.png

Thank Post
    If you have smoothwall then can't you use the logs and a test account to track where the fault is coming up?

If it's a smoothwall block then you'll see it in the logs and then can make adjustments accordingly......

The other possibility is, do you have enforce safe search or something of that nature in Smoothwall for students? Our sixth form have access to YouTube but we enforce safe search, it might be possible that 4OD is blocked via the safe search due to the fact some of the content on their will be innappropriate?

The other option is that the video is being blocked because of adverts, we had this problem and Smoothwall had to sort the issue;

----

In 'Domains & URLs':

googleads.g.doubleclick.net
    s.ytimg.com
    bbc.co.uk/emp/10player.swf?revision=18269_19216

In 'Regular Expression URL':

pagead[0-9]\.googlesyndication\.com/pagead/

We were having the problem in iplayer and youtube that it was just showing 'BLOCKED' over the video and wouldnt play. Create an allow policy for the students, in the filter link it to a new user defined category with the above information in and maybe give that a go?

The above might be barking up the wrong tree but its there anyway.

----

Again, the Smoothwall logs should be able to help quite a lot if you have a test account / machine you can play with to find exactly where the problem is coming from.........
    Last edited by RTFM; 24th November 2010 at 01:05 PM.

15. Thanks to RTFM from:

nile_c (24th November 2010)

Thank Post
    You also may not want to change the default studentinternet filter as this will apply to all students including those who are under age to view age restricted content. You may need to look at creating extra groups for students to provide different levels of filtering.

However, I think you need to look at your policies on what you are willing to allow access to and what should be filtered before playing around with anything. It's too late if you have a parent complaining at something their child accessed while in school.

Thank Post
    it is blocking the Adverts/

I tried blocking their adverts at home my modifying my hosts file to point their ad server at 127.0.0.1 but it did exactly what you said by going in and endless loop. its probably querying the address and being returned a blocking page and doesn't know what to do with it.

Huyton teacher banned for showing violent film Sin City to pupils - Liverpool Local News - News - Liverpool Echo

18. Thanks to oxide54 from:

nile_c (24th November 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast