+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Undo dual boot in Technical; Not sure if this should be in here or Windows 7 but here goes. I have a machine that dual ...
    Thank Post

Undo dual boot

Not sure if this should be in here or Windows 7 but here goes.

I have a machine that dual boots to either XP or Win 7. The Win 7 installation is on a virtual disc within the machine. If I want to stop dual booting can I just delete the virtual disc? Or do I have to do something else? If so what? I followed a step by step to set it up, unfortunately it didn't mention anything about the fact that you might want to stop using it

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This should probably still work in the same way as a Vista wipe to restore the old boot loader.

Installing and uninstalling Windows Vista for dual-boot with Windows XP - istartedsomething
    Uninstall

After playing around with Vista for a few days, you may want to remove it from your system, and reclaim the hard drive space. Microsoft has made this step very simple as well.
    1. Boot your computer in to Windows XP.
    2. Ensure you have the Vista DVD image emulated or in the DVD drive.
    3. Go to “Start” and “Run”. Type in “e:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force” (without quotes, and replacing e: with the drive letter of your Vista DVD).
    4. Restart the computer, and you will notice the boot selection menu is gone.
    5. Format the partition/drive where you had Vista installed.
    6. Remove two files (Boot.BAK & Bootsect.BAK) on your XP drive’s root folder (C, these were backup files of your previous bootloader, now no longer useful.
    7. Optional: Restart to ensure it still works.
    8. Use your partition software to merge your partitions together.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

leco (28th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks, I'll have a go at that. Perhaps I could look for the files mentioned to see if they are there. Not sure about which drive letter the virtual disc would be on though. Needs some investigation.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not sure about the virtual disk but you would probably want to clean up the boot loader code that has been installed by 7. You could also do this in the XP repair console by doing a fixboot and fixmbr command to replace the later 7 bootcode with the XP stuff. The XP install should still boot through the 7 bootloader but the 7 install would not if the virtual disk was gone. You could probably run it like this fine but it would be much cleaner to take it back to a standard XP bootloader to avoid unseen difficulties in future.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Not sure about the virtual disk but you would probably want to clean up the boot loader code that has been installed by 7. You could also do this in the XP repair console by doing a fixboot and fixmbr command to replace the later 7 bootcode with the XP stuff. The XP install should still boot through the 7 bootloader but the 7 install would not if the virtual disk was gone. You could probably run it like this fine but it would be much cleaner to take it back to a standard XP bootloader to avoid unseen difficulties in future.
    If you do fixboot under xp will that still detect the windows 7 installation ?

If you delete the windows 7 lines out of the boot.ini and delete the windows 7 virtual disc and then run those commands maybe in recovery console?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    If you do fixboot under xp will that still detect the windows 7 installation ?

If you delete the windows 7 lines out of the boot.ini and delete the windows 7 virtual disc and then run those commands maybe in recovery console?
    No, running a fixboot and fixmbr from the recovery console will replace the older XP bootloader which cannot see or boot to a newer Vista or 7 installation. This will mean that the 7 image will not be bootable as the OP has requested.

I forgot to add you may need to do a:

bootcfg /rebuild

in the recovery console as well to rebuild the list of OSs for the XP boot loader if the old list was wiped.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    Not sure if this should be in here or Windows 7 but here goes.

I have a machine that dual boots to either XP or Win 7. The Win 7 installation is on a virtual disc within the machine. If I want to stop dual booting can I just delete the virtual disc? Or do I have to do something else? If so what? I followed a step by step to set it up, unfortunately it didn't mention anything about the fact that you might want to stop using it
    When I read it - the question was how to stop it dual booting with the windows 7 being the virtual disc and wanting to get rid of the windows 7 side so it will only boot xp - at least thats what I gathered from the question as per the bold text in the quote stating that the windows 7 is on a virtual disc

so am guessing the asker just wants windows xp to be the only bootable OS so getting rid of the windows 7 along with the mounted virtual disc etc etc and altering the boot.ini either by physically editing the file or by doing what you mentioned in the recovery console with the bootcfg /rebuild and the other commands

Thank Post
    Oh guys, now I am confused. I want to return the machine to a single OS - XP which is the one on the main C drive. I don't want the option to choose either XP or Win7 - just start up in XP.

Plain simple instructions please.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The answer depends on how much of Windows 7 you want to clean off. If you don't mind having the beta bootloader from 7 still handling the system startup then you can (under windows 7):
    Right click on Computer in the start menu and click properties, click on advanced properties and then click the system and recovery settings button.
    Set XP to the default OS and set the delay to 0 seconds.

This will just make XP boot automatticly and you should then be able to delete the virtual drive image (assuming it is not a partition and set to system). This gets rid of the option and the OS but not the bootcode that runs it and the extras that load up the virtual image.

If you want to clean it propperly then you can use one or other of the methods that I have posted above to restore the original boot loader for XP then delete the virtual disk image. This will leave you with a standard XP boot sector and boot loader just like you had before you installed 7.

11. Thanks to SYNACK from:

leco (28th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Followed your instructions i.e. "e:\boot\bootsect...." etc. Now have a single boot into WinXP. My Boot Loader looks like this:

Code:
    Boot Loader Settings
    --------------------
    timeout: 30
    default: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

Boot Entries
    ------------
    Boot entry ID:   1
    Friendly Name:   "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
    Path:            multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    OS Load Options: /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
    Is that what it should be or do I need to do anything else? For instance is it now OK to delete the Win7.vhd file?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So long as it now reboots fine into XP it should be fine to remove the Windows 7 VHD from your system. You may wish to edit the timeout to 0 to make it boot right into XP without delay though.

14. Thanks to SYNACK from:

leco (28th July 2009)

Thank Post
    That's great - thanks for all your help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread