+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Tablet PC requirement in Technical; I have read through a lot of the Tablet PC threads and none of them seem to cover what I ...

Thank Post

Tablet PC requirement

I have read through a lot of the Tablet PC threads and none of them seem to cover what I want.

I am in need of a few Tablet (type) PC's to cover a specific need, and that is for PE teachers to take a register while on the school fields.

We have:

Wi-Fi coverage (or will have) over the playing fields.
    We Have Xenapp 6 servers running with SIMS installed (as we deliver SIMS to desktops for teachers this way)

We dont need phone capability on them

I would also rather stay away from Apple devices as you can garuntee that somone at some point will want to connect to something that uses flash.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a decent tablet that woukld acheive a PE teacher taking a register via a citrix session over wifi. Cost does matter, but on the flip side I dont want anythign that will break when placing on a grass blade or ruin if a fly lands on it.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts

Thank Post

Emerge...the solution to non connected registration

I have seen the next generation of Emerge from Group Call and i believe this maybe a solution for your school..

It supports ipod devices and will support andriod powered tablets in the near future.

The software integrates with Sims.net and allows registration without a real time link..it synchronises with Sims once in range ie. wireless network..

Ideal for on field or off campus activities..

We are seriously looking at this as a solution for registers during fire drills.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know this is off topic, but Emerge from Group call is looking like a very good solution to this issue, I have not seen the Sims version, but we are testing the CMIS one at the moment. Very good looking application.

As Yogi72 says allows offline registers with sync when network available.

Fire drill/ registers when the power has failed was the application that I started to look at the app for. However PE and other off site groups look very interesting.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,416 Posts
    Blog Entries
    rather than a tablet, perhaps look at a UMPC with touch interface? they are a bit bulkier but have more power and you can add more RAM, bigger HDD etc if you want too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrews View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations on a decent tablet that woukld acheive a PE teacher taking a register via a citrix session over wifi.
    This month's PC Pro has a round-up of most of the tablets available on the market. The Dell Inspiron Duo might be the most suitible for your needs - a Windows 7 laptop / tablet, but still resonably priced.

Thank Post
    Groupcall Emerge is your best option with an ipod touch. Have tested the tablet route and for PE staff it just doesn't work, they're too big and cumbersome. Don't be tempted by iPads, they are too big for this, the ipod touch fits in pockets easily, also relatively cheap to replace when they get droppped

Thank Post
    For this application (although not for outside, the technical aspect should be the same) we bought an HP Windows tablet, a stylus operated one (older model now).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread