+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, TightVNC behind a proxy in General; Our school forces all internet traffic (ftp,http,https) through their web proxy. We have no access to change DNS servers, but ...

Thank Post

Question TightVNC behind a proxy

Our school forces all internet traffic (ftp,http,https) through their web proxy. We have no access to change DNS servers, but I have set up a VPN to connect to my home computer. Is there anyway I can apply the proxy settings through TightVNC or another VNC program?

Thanks,
    mathpie

(Also, tunneling at the home computer is not possible- the router is password protected and it is not the default password.)

Thank Post
    Why do you need to? Have you asked the school techies?

Thank Post
    Well, I'm using this for file transfers and bypassing web restrictions (NO WIKIPEDIA!!!!! Grr...). The techies probobly aren't going to help. Also, if there was a way to just give the proxy server my id, TightVNC would work. I mean, like the proxy asks for id for every program that connects to the internet (i.e. it'll ask for it if I open IE and it'll ask me again if I open Firefox). If there was a way to supply my id every time, it would let me through. I haven't found a way to supply id with TightVNC, though

Thank Post
    You're asking a group of Network Managers and School IT Technicians how to bypass filtering at your school? Full marks for cheek, I suppose. Have you asked why wikipedia is banned (apart from the fact it is unreliable, of course - I could edit an article to say the moon was made of cheese if I wanted to, should that be believed?)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mathpie View Post
    Our school forces all internet traffic (ftp,http,https) through their web proxy.
    The HTTP protocol has no defined default timeout value for a request, it's just that most web servers time a request out after 30 seconds or so. If you write a web server that simply doesn't timeout you can pass whatever data you like over HTTP - this technique has been named "Comet" by some, and works in a similar way to Ajax, with various libraries and so forth available. I reckon it would be possible to write an RDP/VNC-like client in JavaScript that communicated with a server on your home computer - Node.js looks interesting as a stand-alone, JavaScript-powered web server.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your quick replies! However, when we are forced to use the proxy, it won't let the connection through until it receives the correct credentials. Also, all traffic is routed through the web proxy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You say you have a VPN conencted? All the traffic for VNC should go down that regardless of what the proxy is set to do (providing it is connected)

Thank Post
    I do have it over VPN, but it should ask me for my username and password so I can connect to the VPN's IP. However, since TightVNC doesn't support it (to the extent of my knowledge) I can't access my VPN'ed computer through TightVNC

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mathpie View Post
    However, since TightVNC doesn't support it (to the extent of my knowledge) I can't access my VPN'ed computer through TightVNC
    Have you tried UltraVNC? The client works as a stand-alone application, no installation needed, and you can set a comprehensive list of options via athe command line.

Thank Post
    Thanks! Will try tommorow.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Node.js looks interesting as a stand-alone, JavaScript-powered web server.
    JavaScript conquers the server | Application Development - InfoWorld

Nope, scratch the above - the one thing Node.js is going to be completly unsuitible for is keeping an HTTP connection open as the server isn't multi-threaded.

Thank Post
    Hmm... Seems that it won't ask me for the school's proxy password, so it won't work. That's too bad... I wonder if there is one out there that does.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread