+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, exchange 2010 - maximum recipients in Technical; After about a year of having exchange 2010 in place we've only just noticed that we haven't changed the settings ...
    Thank Post

exchange 2010 - maximum recipients

After about a year of having exchange 2010 in place we've only just noticed that we haven't changed the settings for students maximum recipients....bit of an issue when one rogue student deciding to send naughty images to all the other students in the school >_<)

Now on exchange 2003 back in the day, i remember a way of freely stopping students being able to send to both groups and to more than 2-3 other people. I can find the "maximum recipients" setting on exchange 2010 but that's per mailbox, is there a universal method for applying this to all users of a particular security group or applying it to all mailboxes within a mailstore (students and staff are in seperate stores)?

Cheers

EDIT: oh and a method for stopping students from being able to send to particular groups too.

Thank Post

3. 2 Thanks to PiqueABoo:

davipton (28th September 2012), mrbios (6th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Go into the properties of a Distribution Group, select the 'Mail Flow Settings' tab. Select 'Message Delivery Restrictions', you can then restrict who can send to the group.

5. 2 Thanks to K.C.Leblanc:

davipton (28th September 2012), mrbios (6th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    To restrict the number of recipients members of a database can send mail to:

Get-Mailbox -Database "Database name" -ResultSize Unlimited |Set-Mailbox -RecipientLimits 5
    Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Go into the properties of a Distribution Group, select the 'Mail Flow Settings' tab. Select 'Message Delivery Restrictions', you can then restrict who can send to the group.
    While that'll solve the problem i'm sure i remember another method in 2003 that was a bit less arduous than going to each group one by one? Maybe i'm dreaming

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Perfect

While that'll solve the problem i'm sure i remember another method in 2003 that was a bit less arduous than going to each group one by one? Maybe i'm dreaming
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post

I guessing then from this that you can not set the default on the Mailbox Database so that every new user that gets a default recipient limit. From the way this has been written you would need to run the powershell script regularly to make sure all the users have the limit set?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davipton View Post
    I guessing then from this that you can not set the default on the Mailbox Database so that every new user that gets a default recipient limit. From the way this has been written you would need to run the powershell script regularly to make sure all the users have the limit set?
    Yes, create a schedule with the PS script or look into creating a custom scripting agent.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    With Exchange 2010 does that stop them from expanding the group and then sending to the list anyway as a list of individuals? Some of our folks worked that out quite quickly as a method of getting round the restrictions.

Thank Post
    That was the same in earlier version, I will have to check that out as expanding the DL is sending to individuals so that would be allowed, but there was a fix on the client side (outlook) which prevented the expansion of a DL. I will have to get this info.

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread