+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Edexcel Promissor (problem) in Technical; Originally Posted by Gerry I know! It's not very secure, but it works. So far, the GOLA system has been ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    I know! It's not very secure, but it works. So far, the GOLA system has been used for the last few years, and nobody has messed around with the share.
    Yeah, it's the way they recommend doing it. I'm at a complete loss with edexcel over onscreen testing. There is SO many things that are wrong with it - it's quite unbelievable that they've been able to carry on like this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Lucky you, they just refused point blank to support us
    It has taken nearly 2 months of chasing to get to this point and currently the pupils here have not been able to successfully sit their mock examination on the software either!

We've tried testing the software with admin accounts, network & local and still haven't been able to get it to run on all computers!

Not long to until the real GCSE exams now either....

Thank Post
    I feel a complaint to QCA is in the making

Thank Post
    I really do not think that Edexcel meet the Regulatory principles for e-assessment on a number of levels. Security, application compatibility, suupport etc
    The specification layed out by ofqual is here Ofqual - Regulatory principles for e-assessment

feel free to complain:
    Ofqual - How to complain

Thank Post
    I'm a little worried to find that most people had installed it around October time - I only got handed it today!

Thank Post
    Wow thought we were late getting the download details!! We had to wait until Feb '08!

Have finally got to the bottom of our problem with the 'Promissor' software ...... it doesn't work with IE7!

Requirements stated IE6 and above was supported.......................... obviously 7 isn't above 6!! ;-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jack0w View Post
    Wow thought we were late getting the download details!! We had to wait until Feb '08!

Have finally got to the bottom of our problem with the 'Promissor' software ...... it doesn't work with IE7!

Requirements stated IE6 and above was supported.......................... obviously 7 isn't above 6!! ;-)
    You have got to be kidding. I'm just rebuilding a new image to roll out across the school with XP SP3 and IE7. Friggin awesome.

Thank Post
    I've had no problems with Promissor Administrator client software with IE7. I had the tests running as a local administrator with group policy running the software as a custom shell and locking down things - go into the room before the test, log on all the PCs and get them at the Promissor login screen ready for when the kids arrive.

The only security flaw i could see with that was when getting to the end of the test, if the default printer was set to something like MS XPS document writer, this presented a "file -> save as" style dialog that allowed browsing of the disk.

Installing the software, then rebooting, then performing a reinstall straight away solved almost all DLL problems I was seeing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_f View Post
    I've had no problems with Promissor Administrator client software with IE7.
    After testing on 28 computers in our ICT Suite we found that we got a random number of failures - plus the computers affected by no Graphics/Text changed every time we ran the test!

Pearson Vue (who I believe produce the Promissor software) took one of our computers off-site for some extensive testing and after a couple of days they concluded that it was Internet Explorer 7 causing the problems. We've since received the computer back and have successfully run the test three times now with a 100% success rate now that Internet Explorer 7 has been removed from all 28 computers.

We're running the Edexcel Applied French Reading exam here, which exam are you running? I'm just wondering if perhaps the issue that has been identified is relating more to the exam which is being run as opposed to the client software itself.

Thank Post
    Numeracy and Literacy Level 1 and 2 OnScreen Exams here.

Thank Post
    It was Adult Literacy and Numeracy, thankfully no longer my concern! I believe the tests embed HTML content into them via the IE rendering engine, and the ALAN tests just have static images and multi-choice options. Fairly bog-standard and unlikely to cause trouble.

Thank Post
    This is where you make technical complaints.

Ofqual - Welcome to Ofqual

The exam boards are not going to admit to problems, and are unlikely to change their behavior unless they are forced to

Thank Post
    Only found out about the IE6/IE7 fiasco this morning. Reverting to IE6 on 100 machines is not an option.

After a bit of stalling, Edexcel have agreed to send us the tests in paper form! Result!!

KS3 tests - RIP! Promissor - RIP! Ain't technology wonderful?

Roy

Thank Post
    Edexcel dida requirements needs IE7, no IE6

Edexcel - DiDA: Home: SPBs: Moderator's toolkit

Edexcel promissor requirements

The only version of Internet Explorer that is supported is IE6. If IE7 has been installed, this must be removed and replaced with IE6 before testing begins.
    The fact that they dictate which operating systems schools must buy is bad enough, but they can't even agree within their own organisation !

mayhem

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We ran nearly 40 odd ALAN Level 1's and 2's today. Only one machine borked during the test and the student was able to retake it later in the day. And that we think was due to the student clicking on things multiple times.

Interestingly, the sample tests sent to us by Edxcel which we installed on to the network fell over when 20-odd students all tried to run the same one.

Relieved it's all done and dusted now. Until next time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast