Right, I've been asked to price up some FlipCams (or equivalent as far as I'm concerned, the brand name dictates the style of thing needed, not the item I need to buy .. but it if does the job .. ack, you get the idea).
Now, the purpose for them isn't really to edit masterpieces as such, but is a tool to get the kids using video and media (we already have a few handheld sound devices and a single flipcam) so that they have an enhance learning experience, and a bit of fun too.
The clips will mainly be used on the website and related things, but there may be the odd need to do something a bit more special (so PGL Weekends - recording it and creating a DVD etc, but I think I'll be recommending they buy an actual camcorder if they really want to start doing that) therefore, the HD one might be a bit OTT, but having said that, it appears to have a longer recording time than the standard ones, so the extra £25 or so might be worth spending.
I'm just after peoples experiences. Do the HD FlipCams also record in VGA if you set them too, or do they just do HD?
So, advice (and if any suppliers feel like giving pricing too, we're looking at buying 2 or 3 for the school initially).
Does anyone have any experience with Apple iPod Nanos for recording?
Just thinking, for most of what I've been asked to get, they do the job, then we can get a single HD device to go with.
We have used Flip Mimo HD and non HD. I've also had a look at another schools Kodak Zx1 I would consider the following points
1) If going for Flips get the mimo as these charge from the USB port and so you are not looking for batteries or charging stations
2) If Hard drive space is limited at your site and HD is not really needed then go for the standard 640 by 480 model as the files are smaller.
3) The Flips have no settings apart from Date and time so are very easy to use
4) They don't take stills so if that is required go for the kodak but that has more buttons to get used to so a bit more training
5) Have a policy about who is responsible for saving the video and to were. Once I get them back all the stuff is wiped and so the teacher's have to save what they want before returning.
6) Codec !!! if you install the Flip software which is on the camera it also installs the codec to allow video editing and playback in Microsoft and apple software. if not it is pain.
7) The HD software and Non HD is different and they don't like being on the same computer together.
if you think of anything else PM me and I try and help
Very helpful post thank you, especially the...
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)