rusty155
Members-
Posts
107 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by rusty155
-
I seem to be slowly grasping Smoothwall now. I have a few rules set up and functioning correctly. My next step is to try and set up a Domain Trust between the two networks and so need to open the relevant ports on Smoothwall. I found this article from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179442 So do I need to open the listed server ports for each DC or just the Forest Root? Also, I assume that I need to open ports 1024-65535/TCP for each client that will need to access resources on the trusting domain? Is there any way that I can set up groups of machines by IP Addresses in Smoothwall? I have had limited experience with Symantec Raptor Firewall and I know that I could with that. Would certainly make things easier and make the rule table a little less cluttered! BTW, I am hoping to set up a two-way trust but with only selected clients and users from the curriculum domain able to access selected resources on the Admin domain. Thanks!!
-
Hi all, After some advice if anyone can help? My little sis recently purchased some goods from Ebay, and was having trouble contacting the seller following the end of the auction. The seller eventually got back to her and apparently has returned from holiday to find that his account has been hacked into. The money has left my sister's account and has gone to the hacker. She paid via Paypal and has reported the issue to Ebay and Paypal, as has the seller. I have also told her to contact her local Citizens Advice Bureau and Consumer Direct to see if they can help. She has also printed out all transaction paperwork and correspondence and taken it into her bank. I was just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation, or are seasoned Ebay veterans and can offer any further advice that has escaped me? Presumably these things can take a while to resolve? I would be grateful for any advice and suggestions. Thanks, Charlie.
-
Thanks for the reply Tom, but please can you be a bit more specific:confused:
-
Ok, I'm getting there - I can get access from the Admin network (green zone) to everything on the Curriculum network (red zone). I have opened up a couple of ports from the curriculum (red) to admin (green) for file sharing for my desktop pc as a test and this works. I cannot ping anything though although ICMP Ping is not disabled on the smoothwall. Also, what is the best way to go about the routing? The two networks are on completely different subnets, and the only way I am able to connect between them currently is by manually modifying the route table on the individual machines. I could setup some scripts to add in the relevant routes at logon but is there a better way of doing this? Is there anyway within smoothwall itself? I'm guessing not as unless I modify the route table on the machine, it will try and pass all traffic through the default gateway (internet) which obviously won't get through. Can I setup Routing and Remote Access on Server 2003 for both networks? Any guidance greatfully received!
-
Hi, I am in the process of giving Smoothwall a go and have a quick question. I have installed it and have it running but feel I may have made a mistake already! I set the admin network as the green zone, and curriculum network as red zone. When I log into the smoothwall web interface it shows the local connection as my curriculum primary dns server and the remote connection as my curriculum default gateway to internet. Is this correct? I was expecting something more like: Local= Admin Ip Address of Smootwall Remote= Curriculum Ip Address of Smoothwall I'm going to have a dig around but thought I'd raise this first. Thanks, Charlie.
-
Ok - Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling tired and remarkably stupid today and I'm having difficulty working things out in my head. I'll try and explain what I need in a bit more detail. Smoothwall sounds like a good option if I can get it to do what I need. I have a redundant Dual Processor PIII 1100 Server lying around with 2 onboard GB Nic's so that could do the job. Basically we have two separate Networks / Domains here - one Admin and One Curriculum. The staff and student accounts and shares are all on the Curriculum network. The Admin Domain is home to Sims, Bromcom (E-Registration) and all of the Admin staff user accounts and shares. The Bromcom Server has 2 network cards so that the registration app (on the Curriculum side) can send registration data back to the server on one port. The SLT need access to resources on both networks, and I would like to be able to map network drives from both domains if possible. The SLT have accounts on both domains but with different usernames and passwords. How would I go about the authentication issues? Would I need to use something like Smoothwall in conjunction with Domain Trust Relationships? I have never setup Trust Relationships before but have heard that they can be quite a headache. Also, our Mail server which currently resides on our Curriculum PDC also has two network cards in so that both Domains can access E-Mail (we are migrating to Exchange soon). Furthermore, the Bromcom Server has a web-based feature whereby staff can access detailed attendance and behaviour information. Staff on the Admin Domain can access this as it uses Domain authentication, but I need Curriculum staff users to be able to access it also. Sorry for the essay, I've probably left things out as well! Can anyone offer any further advice? Do you have similar setups and needs? Thanks again.
-
Hi everyone, We are looking to purchase a hardware firewall to place between our separate Admin and Curriculum networks to allow Senior staff access to Admin resources from the curriculum network. Can anyone recommend something that is reliable and fairly easy to setup and manage? What do those of you that have separate networks do? Thanks.
-
Unless it's the M Roadster
-
Indeed it is an awesome sound!! Makes forking out a fortune for petrol worthwhile alone!
-
Got a Mk3 Golf 2.8 VR6 - not the most economical car in the world but it's all about smiles per gallon!! Love it and really looking forward to getting an R32 at some point next.
-
Thank you. You have just brightened up my morning Just read that back!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Ok ok anal tablets on the brain!! Meant repositories!!!
-
I tried vista for a while but ditched it after a couple of months. Now absolutely flying on Ubuntu Gutsy - the speed that I see now, even compared to XP is amazing! Can't recommend it highly enough. It really makes you realise how awful Windows is with regard to drivers - just install and go, everything just works from the off! So many great features too - my current fav being the synaptic package manager (similar to add/remove programs) - you wan't some new software?? just do a search and it downloads it from the online suppositories! Oh yes, and it's free!!
-
I am in Bridport, yourself?
-
We're already running NOD32 on our DCC Admin network. Seems pretty good so far and no way near as resource hungry as Sophos. I would give the DCC Helpdesk a call and they can probably do a remote install for you. As far as I was aware they don't support Sophos anymore and haven't done for a while. Trying to recall when we moved over - been at least a few months.
-
Amiga A500+ -Dune 2 -Barbarian 1&2 -Flood -IK+ -Projectile -Lotus Turbo Challenge -Sim City Other Platforms: -Gauntlet -Golden Axe -Altered Beast -Double Dragon -Duck Hunt!!!!!!!!!
-
Thanks very much - i'll look into it!
-
Fantastic! Can you perhaps recommend a linux distro and/or point me in the right direction of how to set it all up? Thanks.
-
Hello all! I have two physically separate domains for Admin and curriculum here. For the most part this is fine until SLT start demanding resources from both networks. The immediate problem I have is that We have a CCTV server on our Admin domain, which the SLT gain access to via a software client on their Admin workstations. They would like to enable access to the CCTV from one machine on the curriculum domain in a staff member's office. This office is located in an area of the school where we do not currently have access to admin switches and so can't simply put two NIC's in the Curriculum workstation. Is there a way that I can put a software-based firewall such as Smoothwall between the two networks and allow access to the CCTV server? Longer term I would also like to set up a one-way trust relationship between the domains so that Admin staff and SLT can access curriculum resources. I am not sure however what I need between the two networks in order to do this. Both domains are completely different subnets and i am not sure what i need to do the job - router or firewall or both? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-
Have you tried booting up with BartPE or a live linux distro to see if you can mount the drive that way? I have had many "dead" drives in the past that windows has refused to recognise but slap a linux cd in the machine and bingo!
-
Have your users got legacy programs enabled? Also how is the software installed? - Curriculum Choice Package - A package that you have created? - Network (RM Public) Install - Virtual CD?
-
What deny rules are preventing it from running and whereabouts are the "random" locations?
-
Double Post :oops:
-
In the RMMC you need to open up Software Restriction Settings under the Configuration Settings and create a new path or file rule to allow the software to run.
-
Prob a dodgy bit of software has installed itself. Usually as a side-effect of products like limewire etc. Have a check through add/remove programs in control panel for anything suspect.
