-
Posts
2,108 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by supportman
-
Yeh ParentPay are not going this year, they mentioned that to me recently.
-
2 x Dell R330's + Windows 2019 Standard edition assuming you have EES already would be less than 2.5k probably. Maybe throw in a couple of aftermarket SSD drives pushes the price up a bit but cheaper that buying from Dell.
-
For oldies like me in the south, there is something called the network railcard that you can get at any age but is only valid for London and the South East. It also allows friends to travel with a 3rd off, so the savings add up quickly. https://www.network-railcard.co.uk/ EDIT: Map here: https://www.network-railcard.co.uk/clientfiles/files/Map.pdf
-
Unifi is an absolute game changer in the market and has an excellent set of products and easy interface to use while keeping it cheap as well. Certainly I will be looking at this in the future I think.
-
Thats HCSS right? Another school locally had moved to this from FMS and said it integrated well with "budgeting software" and was very modern. I love the look of that one, but yet to hear many reviews. EDIT: It does look beautiful, very material design like
-
Is it really that bad? I was holding out hope for Sims finance as they seemed to be moving it to the web and centralised cloud like other providers have recently done.
-
Gave up in the end myself, might try another install at some point. Just kept getting activation errors immediately.
-
Digital signage for IT phobic staff
supportman replied to Theldron's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Xibo is old, requires a server and has a terrible interface, I certainly wouldn't recommend it for staff even I had trouble and gave up with it Google slides seems to be a great way of doing it these days and very easy to use, all online. Just make a computer that launches a web page in kiosk mode which is the google slide. -
Nice always wanted one of these in the past but I also moved to 4K now. I prefer an Nvidia Shield these days as it does 4K fine and just installs Kodi from the App store.
-
Scope of IT Manager for cashless catering system.
supportman replied to genesis's topic in Learning Network Manager
I'd look at your system choice as well, we previously had Tucasi which was a nightmare to manage with their terrible sync software which basically didn't work. Parent pay is much better and had no issues therefor no need for IT Support. -
The latest defender in windows 10 has very good ransomware protection as far as I know. I don't think I would trust 3rd party solutions these days, had some nightmares in the past with dodgy upgrades or whatever. I much prefer Microsofts inbuilt solution.
-
We paid for it. 5 year support license was less than 2 grand I think at the time. I'm not even sure if you need to extend the license once that's up so its a great price for a comprehensive "best of" backup solution.
-
Their Roadmap also shows they have delayed it another 6 months due to the development staff working on legacy Sims. Its like watching Kodak trying to keep everyone using old camera film
-
For Banks like Monzo this is a non issue, although knowing them they will probably manage to make it work with smartphones at some point For the legacy banks its massive as it takes a lot of money to process bits of paper. This puts them at a disadvantage to the new challenger banks who are simply skipping it to old ways of doing things.
-
Just seen this on Bromcoms social media feed, looks like the blog came out yesterday: Bromcom's Finance | Bromcom Computers Plc | Cloud Based Management Information Systems Very interesting...
-
Basically yes, My standard Hyper-V host is a simple Dell r330 with a single 512gb SSD and 64gb of Ram. It tends to be able to run up to about 5 virtual machines on that without any issues. I use Veeam to backup each night.
-
I should probably post i that other thread but SANS are designed for datacenters really, not single educational institutions. You are hugely complicating your setup if you use shared storage and teaming NICs. Saying that though... there is nothing wrong with doing it and I see many people on these forums doing exactly that, just seems like over engineering to me. Start simple!
-
Hyper-V in its simplest form with local storage should have no issues, been running it 8 years here I think now. Never had a single problem.
-
Thats an ongoing cost though... Unifi has no ongoing licensing needed which is why its so special and its cheaper to buy up front as well. We have Aruba and are moving to Unifi soon due to this.
-
I would advise going virtual then the hardware is pretty irrelevant as you can move to anything if needed in the future. SSD is also a must with SQL databases.
-
Potential Move from Meraki to Ubiquiti
supportman replied to mattysmith80's topic in Wireless Networks
How does the management of Ubiquiti work? Does it have a controller or is it cloud based? Also how did you migrate? Did you just keep the same SSID and passcode? EDIT: The interface looks lovely! https://demo.ubnt.com/manage/site/default/dashboard -
£200 quid a year per screen is a lot of money for a twitter feed!
-
Yes absolutely! There are far better finance packages out there such as HCSS which are modern and cloud based. FMS is poor in comparison.
-
Thats pretty much what they did We did our tests on an AWS virtual machine. Worked well.
