-
Posts
243 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by thom
-
The RTM version of the Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows-AIK or WAIK) is now available for download from Microsoft downloads. This download contains the production version of the tools necessary to create a Windows Vista image such as Windows System Image Manager, Windows PE 2.0, and Imagex. It also includes the production version of Windows Deployment Service so that you can upgrade your RIS boxes to WDS. http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/6/d/86d6ba9c-98ff-444e-87ed-3e76772eb2a6/vista_6000.16386.061101-2205-LRMAIK_EN.img WDS will also be part of Windows 2003 SP2 (released in Q1 2007). Microsoft have also released version 3.0 of Windows SharePoint Services. Not sure if i dare to upgrade yet http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d51730b5-48fc-4ca2-b454-8dc2caf93951&DisplayLang=en
-
The RTM version of the Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows-AIK or WAIK) is now available for download from Microsoft downloads. This download contains the production version of the tools necessary to create a Windows Vista image such as Windows System Image Manager, Windows PE 2.0, and Imagex. It also includes the production version of Windows Deployment Service so that you can upgreade your RIS boxes to WDS. http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/6/d/86d6ba9c-98ff-444e-87ed-3e76772eb2a6/vista_6000.16386.061101-2205-LRMAIK_EN.img WDS will also be part of Windows 2003 SP2 (released in Q1 2007). Microsoft have also released version 3.o of Windows SharePoint Services. Not sure if i dare to upgrade yet http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d51730b5-48fc-4ca2-b454-8dc2caf93951&DisplayLang=en
-
I'm not sure - i will try to have a look at lunchtime. What should the data rate be set to?
-
I recently gave a new member of staff a Dell Latitude 600 laptop. The previous user left the school in the summer and never alerted me of any issues with it. However, it now is apparent that when connecting it to an XGA projector the image is garbled at best. If I plug it in to an old SVGA projector then it works perfectly. The graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9000 and I have updated it to the latest drivers from the Dell support site. Has anyone else experienced this. Is there anything I can do about it?
-
Update: It Worked!!! I didn't even need to use the other network card. All I did was set up a host in the curriculum DNS (this step wasn't even necessary - I could have just used the IP address of WSUS) and pointed to that in the Windows Update GPO. IE7 was installed everywhere in a couple of days without me having to do a single local install!!!
-
I have a Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) Server that currently updates all our Admin PCs. It is working really well and I want to use it to update our curriculum domain as well. Is this possible and if so what do I need to do? The domains are on different IP ranges and don't communicate between each other (although they do if you set up a host address in DNS) I am thinking I can set up an unused network card in the WSUS server with a curriculum IP and then point clients to that through GPOs. Am i going the right way about this? Is this creating a security risk?
-
I know these are acers but it is a really great spec Acer TravelMate 4233WLMi - Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 GHz - 15.4" TFT http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~Q90667~WW~/ACER%20TM4233WLMi%20%2F%2015.4%20WXGA%20%2F%20Centrino%202%20Duo%20T5500.htm 1 year warranty Processor Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 / 1.66 GHz ( Dual-Core ) Hard Drive: 120 GB RAM: 1 GB (installed) Only £629.99 ex VAT
-
I read about this in the TechNet UK magazine it says got to http://www.microsoft.com/education/slk.mspx for more details. The article also say the full kit will be available for download in early 2007. They are also releasing a Community Kit that helps you create sites for clubs and events
-
Just wanted to add that it also comes with an administrative template to configure a few settings in Group Policy. It only has computer configuration, no user configuration. I found the adm in c:\windows\inf after I installed it on a PC
-
Windows Defender (formerly Windows Anti-Spyware) is now out of beta and has been released officially on the microsoft security website. It is not that much different to beta 2. I have installed it on a couple of PCs and it upgraded from Beta2 without a hitch. Does anyone know if this can be installed silently using the standard msi? It beats the McAfee solution we use here hands down. If you have never used Windows Defender before I suggest you give it a try. * It's free * Runs as a service * Protects all users - not just admins * Updates can be installed through WSUS.
-
I think the bottom line is that IE6 is installed on all windows PCs whether it is used or not and presents a greater security risk than if IE7 is installed. The only reason not to install it is if you have a particular programme that won't run in IE7. Even if that is the case it is really the software vendors problem not Microsoft.
-
I can also provide a reference if needed, pm me for a true case study
-
Sharepoint works fine for me in IE7. What have you seen that doesn't work?
-
Keeping on topic, more details on managing the install Source: IE7 Blog
-
I've been using IE7 since beta 1. It works really well - I love it. The only concern I have is that last time IE updated through AU it crashed out on loads of the PCs and messed them up. I am planning on blocking it through AU with this tool and installing it manually over the half term. I've already tested everything we use IE for and they all work with no problems. To get more info follow the links on Bink's article
-
Are definitions are always up to date as they are centrally managed and deployed at startup. I will check to see if they are scanning inside archives though. OK, I take your point. I suppose I just thought it would be a cool feature to have. I would still like to know if it is possible.
-
I've got the following 388 PCs and Macs 132 laptops 6 Servers 30 IP Phones 60 Projectors and we are just about to add an new IP CCTV system! It is pretty much all down to me, I have a Tues-Thurs modern apprentice and a part-term lady who manages our independent learning centre (38 PCs) and she deals with all the consumables. I wanted to get 2 full-time technicians but the management said that would be to expensive and they would be more likely to buy into a managed service. I was talking to a networking consultant who made me realise that schools have probably larger networks than most big companies! He has 150 PCs in his company that are managed by a team of 5 technicians.
-
That's what I thought, until we had a couple of viruses that weren't detected!
-
We would like students to scan all of their USB drives before they use them in a PC. Normally you would open up My Computer, right-click on the drive and choose "Scan for Viruses". However, we don't allow students access to the right-click context menu. I though it would be handy if the students could select the drive and then use a link in the system tasks (on the right hand side of explorer windows) to scan it. Can this be done through some kind of registry tweak? Or is there a better way of managing this? We use McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i as our anti-virus solution.
-
1 Domain + 1 domain + syncronised users = possible?
thom replied to tarquel's topic in Wireless Networks
Authenticating across a wi-fi bridge should be fine. I would continue using your current domain controller but keep a local terastation in the music room for files. Then you can sell the business case to have the money for a proper gig link between the music switch and the main comms. cabinet in next years budget. It wouldn't cost that much and would save you the hassle of running two domains. I tried re-naming my domain using the above tool and it crashed out, meaning I had to go round and re-join all 300 clients to the new domain manually - causing two days downtime!!! Just a caution, I'm sure it works fine. -
I use Microsoft Max for our photo slideshows. They look really stunning. I'm not sure if you can embed them into powerpoint. Max uses the new microsoft graphics foundation so you will need to install latest versions of bits but that is built in to the install
-
I just got told by one company that using POE Cameras outside is a bad idea because they will steam up or frost over. They said what we need is a camera housing with a heater that is powered from the mains. Is this a problem other people have experienced or is the company just trying to sell me more stuff? Also does anyone now how the Milestone XProtect software varies to Classview (provided by CSE). I also read about zoneminder, a Linux CCTV system, in these forums. What is the best/flexible/cost effective option?
-
Thanks guys, that's just what I needed to know.
-
Not quite sure if I follow what you mean, the right antenna pointing up and the left antenna at 90 degrees?
-
What is the best direction to point the 2 antennas on our wireless access points? Does it matter? Vertical/horizontal/45 degrees??? The reason I ask is because we want to use one existing AP to give a signal in a mobile hut just outside the classroom and I want them to get the maximum signal.
