-
Posts
243 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by thom
-
Imaging / Cloning / Ghosting Windows Vista Business
thom replied to mattpant's topic in Windows Vista
Have you actualy experienced this limitation because I haven't (Using Vista Business with WDS & WAIK) -
So what is it!!!
-
I do mine at a lot more basic level. In group policy I assign a logon script to the gpo. e.g. I assign "mapStudents.bat" to "Students" GPO The script contains the same text as you would put in a command prompt net use s: \\Server\Share This means I have a different script for each group (staff/students/visitors). IT seems to work fine for us. Are there any advantages to using Maniac's script apart from sorting everybody with one script?
-
***deleted double posting***
-
I found the solution!!! http://newton.montclair.edu:16080/weblog/jimi/techie/Windows+Vista/ It involves installing the Windows AIK and using imagex.exe to merge the install*swm files. It took me about an hour to complete but was definately worth it. Give me a shout if you have any problems. I am only using it in WDS so I haven't tried to actually boot it from a DVD yet.
-
Microsoft have released a new tool that looks quite useful. It works by mining into Sytem Restore data. I've just downloaded it and will give it a try soon. KB Details: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924732 Download (Validation Required): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=097976F8-1124-45B8-9769-B48429A7A6A1&displaylang=en
-
I was there but didn't meet anybody - got stuck talking with sales people. I was quite impressed with their offering. What did others think?
-
Since monday we have been having issues specific to our Dell Latitude D510 notebooks. One by one they have been dropping like flies (we have 20 of them). The problem causes the laptop to hang when windows is loading and has got to the boot screen with the flag and the progress bar. You can get into safe mode and do a system restore and that solves the problem. We have narrowed the problem down to a windows "High Priority" update - KB929338 Is anyone else having this issue. I have blocked the update from the windows update site but I was wondering if this is a known issue and what is causing it. I looked on the Dell forums but that didn't get me anywhere.
-
MIcrosoft told me that if I EduGeek support it then it is OK to put it online
-
AD integrated authentication worked out of the box for us with the sharepoint template
-
I just applied it to my WSUS server and there are no initial differences apart from a security wizard guide on the desktop. Microsoft have given their top 10 reasons to upgrade but lots of them I had already (WDS, MMC3) http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsserver/sp2/top-reasons.mspx Hopefully the wireless (WPA2) additions will help fix my laptop trolley woes.
-
Microsoft have released the updated helpdesk template for the new Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsserver/sharepoint/wssapps/templates/default.mspx I don't know how much it has changed but we have been using the older version very sucessfully at our school. Also, they have developed a lot of new templates that could come in handy. Some of the available templates are Bug Database Call Center Change Request Management Compliance Process Support Site Contacts Management Document Library and Review Event Planning Expense Reimbursement and Approval Help Desk Inventory Tracking IT Team Workspace Knowledge Base Lending Library Physical Asset Tracking and Management Project Tracking Workspace Room and Equipment Reservations Classroom Management
-
Yes, I'm going, mainly for the Learning Platform talk.
-
Imaging / Cloning / Ghosting Windows Vista Business
thom replied to mattpant's topic in Windows Vista
Get an overview here http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_deploy.asp or download the desktop deployment guide here http://www.microsoft.com/technet/desktopdeployment/bdd/2007/default.mspx if you want to use Microsofts new RIS - WDS That should tell you all you need to know. Be sure to feed back your experiences. -
Go to http://www.microsoft.com/education/MSITAcademy/default.mspx to find out all the nitty gritty
-
Thanks, that has really helped me get my head around it.
-
So if I want a PC to be joined to the curriculum VLAN, I can set the port to untagged for VLAN 3 and leave admin and phone as no? Correct? There is also a Default management VLAN (1) what should I use this for?
-
I am also having trouble understanding the difference between tagged, untagged and off. At the moment we have a switch that could have a phone: VLAN 61(routed to a MITEL server) an admin pc: VLAN 2 (goes to the admin DC) or a classroom pc : VLAN 3 (goes to the curriculum DC). It has a fibre uplink to our core switch. Now, I thought, for instance, that if the device connected to port 1 was a classroom PC I need to set the curriculm vlan to tagged and the uplink to tagged for all vlans. What else needs to be set up on port 1? Should the admin and phone vlan be set up as untagged or no? What's the difference or am I thinking about this in completely the wrong way?
-
Grava Website I recieved an e-mail today regarding this and they want our wishlists Send your ideas to Caesar Winebrenner [email protected]
-
I set this up about a year ago, with a piece of software called LogiSphere. It was very basic but did what I wanted (which was to capture a frame/sec to a hard disk. Since then it has come out of beta and looks promising. It worked well for what we needed it for. The only thing was the webcam was to poorer quality to make out faces at the distance we were using it at. The beta was free but you can still download a free trial. Not sure how much the license costs but definitely worth looking in to. LogiSphere: http://www.logisphere.org/en/index_html You might also want to try LuxRiot: http://luxriot.com/ We use this for our new IP CCTV system and you can download a shareware version and I think it works with webcams too.
-
from ramesys Don't think I'll bother wasting another £20. I will work on merging them and creating my own DVD
-
This looks really good. I was going to set up MRBS but never got around to it but this looks a bit simpler. Why did you create your own as opposed to using MRBS? Also, could you give some recommended hardware specs. I am not to confident setting this up so if you could (or know about) a simple guide to setting up all the pre-reqs (Linux/Apache/PHP/mySql) that would really help all us *nix virgins
-
We bought a media kit and 1 license from Ramesys of Vista Business. A bargain at £30 I was expecting a nice shiny DVD that would be 32 and 64 bit on one disk. However, instead I received 4 CDs of the 32 bit edition. Is this the norm? It reminded me of installing windows 95 on 20+ floppy disks. Is there a simple way to merge them all on to one disk, the folder structure is completely different to XP/2000 media.
-
So if I had 350, vista-ready, XP clients that I wanted to upgrade what should I buy/implement?
-
So I would need one KMS Key for the School and enough MAKs for each client?
