Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

pbrian49

Members
  • Posts

    51
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by pbrian49

  1. Our maths department bought this last year without telling me, and then promptly put it on my desk to install on the network saying it was urgent and was essential for their work. If memory serves me right, the version we had was bugged and wouldn't install so we had to wait to get get updated discs. Still wouldn't work as a network install even after following instructions to the letter and talking to support. I finished installing it on staff laptops and workstations as stand alone versions. After many hours of frustration trying to get this to work and finally putting it on half a dozen laptops and workstations, I have since found out that some don't use it as, in their words "it isn't really what we wanted". Since then I don't know of any member of staff that does us it. Any machine rebuilds don't have it on and no one has questioned where it has gone.
  2. I bought a 7" Kodak one from Argos the other week, very impressed with it. They have some good deals on frames at the moment.
  3. We are going with the sln2.net option and intend to carry out some staff training on the first day back in the new year. I have been busy putting on content so that we have some examples to show the staff how they can use it. This includes a IT support page with a wiki of common problems and issues so that staff can use that as a reference point. (I can then say if they can't do something like "I know you have told me and shown me this before but...." - "go check the wiki!"). I do have a concern over bandwith when we will be using it in anger - 5th January will be enlightening. Also the issue of writing back into Sims from sln2.net may be resolved next year, according to one of the breakout sessions at the seminar last week.
  4. Same here, this happened yesterday afternoon on two workstations. Both were working fine in the morning. I couldn't find any reason for it though. Active Studio 2 has been installed locally, however, I am replacing with a Active Studio 3 RM Package supplied by my LEA which doesn't appear to have the same problem. I see you are in Staffs Jim, contact SLT and ask them for the CC3 Active Studio 3 package and they will come and install it, provided you have a service agreement. They have a brand new package which was installed here last week.
  5. Here are a few more customer reviews Cheap Laptops, Hard Drives, LCD Monitors, TVs and more at Ebuyer Got mine from ebuyer, don't know how it compares to Dabs prices though.
  6. Hi Dos_Box I have the 885 and on the whole have found it to work very well, set up was fairly straight forward though I had to program the remote for my DVD/HD Recorder as the codes weren't available. I have it operating the TV, Sky Box and DVD/HD Recorder. Recently I updated it and it seems to have forgotten all I taught it so I need to start again from scratch, a bit like school staff there then. It is supposed to be a learning remote and from the help you can tell it what is and isn't on and it should remember for next time but it doesn't seem to be doing this at the moment. Battery life is excellent and I have to very rarely put it in the recharger and when I do it charges very quickly. Don't know anything about the other one.
  7. Very clever, our kids haven't found this yet as I have just done an audit of websites visited and it doesn't show up. Backspace doesn't work but the back button on the browser does. So I guess it is fairly quick to get back to the "my documents folder".
  8. We have had a hall setup for over 3 years now which has been very trouble free so far. Consists of a 116" x 87" rear projection screen from DaLite (motorised so drops down at the front of the stage), Sanyo XT16 projector mounted on the back wall of the stage and a Windows Media Centre PC connected into the hall sound system, all operated with a media centre remote. It was installed by Computacentre (Our LEA has a preferred supplier contract with them) and works very well indeed. A survey was carried out initally to determine exact requirements and specification, so I would say that an on site survey is a must.
  9. 200+ workstations, 6 servers, 25 IAWB, 30+ Laptops, 800 pupils, Website, VLE and Intranet. Just me, going up to around 21K after JE, - was originallly going to have a pay cut of around £800 pa on first round of JE. Advantage is I live no to far from school, so I can be at home with 10 mins at the end of the day.
  10. I really dislike walking round the school at the end term switching off all the bits of kit that are left on such as DVD Players, Amplifiers, Projectors etc because everyone else is in too big a hurry to go home.
×
×
  • Create New...