_Bat_
Members-
Posts
1,352 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by _Bat_
-
Thats very interesting indeed, haha. Incidently, is kickarse a college friend of Jak by any chance? Wow. If you can do this with 100% accuracy short of blacklisting all sites except those in a whitelist, you are in the money mate. ingenuity is the wrong word to select in my opinon. It's not difficult to create a proxy and as he said, he just jumped on a bandwagon. Not a wise decision, but I admit I may have made the same decision before I matured and got a job.
-
@Kickarse... I'm not sure it was ever stated that it was illegal, which is why i'm sure he just got away with a warning. It's mainly the fact that he was encouraging others to do illegal things with his proxy. As you said yourself, using it to bypass security is illegal according to T&C of the educational facility they are at. If you would like quotes, here are some: Im response to He replied For another similar question on a different forum, the response was: Am sure more has happened through word of mouth. He even admitted he knew he was bending the rules: This was edited out earlier today by examstudies.com to protect himself, but what he originally said still remains in a quote from GrumbleDook just afterwards. He may not have done anything illegal, but encouraging others to do so is just as morally wrong in my opinion, and he knew it because he admitted it in above quote. Not only do the T&C of just about every educational facility I know of make bypassing the filter illegal, but it allows students full access to the internet which puts the network managers job is a dodgy position because he is the one that is supposed to have locked this down. Can you now see why people are annoyed? As for there being thousands of other proxies out there... I didn't know that because a lot of people are doing something that it makes it morally right. None of this would have happened anyway if he hadn't come to this forum to "bragg" about his other domains that we didn't know about. This too has been edited out I believe, but we all saw it. He simply got picked on because he made himself an easy target by doing this.
-
Examstudies: I think that just about says it all. It's not your internet connection so if the person/organisation who does own it says you can't use it to do something, then it's not right to do it anyway or help others to do so. If your attitude is "well I have a placement at university anyway" so it doesn't matter if they kick you out... well I just hope your university never see that attitude for your sake.
-
Ugh, it's too early to be testung response times on a public forum
-
Timed out several times for me, im forced to browse the site at 3am cos then I know no-one else is using it
-
Hey, Having only recently come out my college myself (I am 20 years old and now work as an IT Technician at a couple of schools) I can easily speak on behalf of both sides here. I was a student at solihull sixth form college and admittedly I was one for trying to bypass the filter. I was a bit of an idiot really, at one point I even sent a message saying 'hello world' across the entire network (this was before service pack 2 was released and patching that). They found out it was me of course, but fortunately the technicians found it funny and I didn't get into trouble. But now working on the other side of things, I have realised now that if a student accesses something on a education network that they shouldn't have done, the blame really does lie with the person responsible for that network and they could possibly lose their job, regardless of how well they tried to lock down the network. They blocked hotmail at my college, not to stop the students accessing their e-mail (as I first thought) but because the technicians were fed up of people downloading viruses that keep going through the hotmail servers and causing them hours of work. I think at the end of the day they'd rather be sure (some people even go to the extent of blocking all sites by default and whitelisting sites they want students on, though this is rare) simply for their jobs sake. If the students can't go without their e-mail or myspace for a few hours a day then it is them that has an issue, not the other way around. I can appreciate what you have done though, i'd have done the same a couple of years back if I had the time. You really do have to work on the other side of things to understand. I would post more, but its late and I need to go to bed. Take care!
-
Only people who don't understand why things shouldn't be unplugged in a room full of server and communications equipment. *edited due to not saying very nice stuff about people who unplug servers*
-
I just hope they never get a job in a hospital.
-
Argh!! Do people still unplug stuff without checking exactly what it is powering first? :?
-
Just one more question before I think I know all I need to ATM about this... will gpupdate /force cause the computers to possibly reboot or just simply install the new msi? It'd be quite worrying if they did, haha.
-
Lol, has that by default anyway. Thanks Geoff!
-
Geoff mentioned setting permissions for 'authenticated users' on the share that the MSI resides on to 'read and execute'. Is this the only group that needs to have permissions set, or does 'system' need to be set as well? If so, what to?
-
Checked all of those... our LEA is on the ball again, every single one was blocked. Very sneaky though... I wonder, have they ever considered making a proxy website that doesn't actually contain the word 'proxy' and all the obvious key words/HTML that admins are definately going to block?
-
K, these results so far from Geoffs webserver using IE to download and 7ZIP to extract: - Animals & Plants successfully unzipped - Environment threw up this error: "CRC failed in WMV\ca_bbc_0483_flashflood.wmv" file is broken - History 1 "not supported archive" - History 2 "not supported archive"
-
"The internet is a bit slow today"
-
I started a download from Irazmus' server at about 8:15 cos I thought that internet wouldn't be in major use until about 9. Anyway the download thought it had finished about 10 mins ago after only about 190mb and I got a similar error message as well. As for Geoffs, they appear fine so far, but still downloading.
-
Thanks a lot for the mirrors Geoff and Irazmus
-
Geoffs mirror seems okay to me. But... go to bed! Work tomorrow! I'm tempted to leave the rest downloading at work overnight, this is taking too much time.
-
Birmingham unfortunately
-
Yeah, I mean the ones that were mirrored on a school web server. They keep failing about half way through, each one of them . It's not my internet connection cos I stayed late at work one night to do it and it failed there too.
-
Nope... failed again
-
These downloads keep borking Every single one of them failed eventually last night and the same happened a few days ago at school. I'm gonna try one at a time now and see what happens. Did anyone else have this trouble?
-
IT Technician: Buckinghamshire, Salary TBD
_Bat_ replied to indiegirl's topic in Educational IT Jobs
I meant history as in your browser history or some other form of network history... unless you keep clearing it, haha. I can understand exactly why you are so fustrated with him from what you have said though. -
IT Technician: Buckinghamshire, Salary TBD
_Bat_ replied to indiegirl's topic in Educational IT Jobs
Indiegirl... forgive me if i'm assuming too much here but... you don't like your network manager do you? *does a search for posts by indiegirl* Ah... and there is my answer, haha. In all seriousness now... how do you know he doesn't read this forum? Surely he must have seen your history at some point? -
I found this out the hard way They used to provide directly to schools though. Probably why they are so big headed that they don't feel the need for good customer relations, end user or not . 'Deal with' are the key words here. I totally agree, haha.
