Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

JRA

Members
  • Posts

    952
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by JRA

  1. Hi all - as title really. I'm not sure it's 'safe' to use both at the same time to deploy packages, but I really don't like WPKG (or rather, un-picking the dependencies of dependencies of dependencies and caveats of packages on this network I've inherited.) I'm tempted though. One of my techs accidentally tried it, and there wasn't carnage, but this might have been more luck than anything else. Anyone out there know what the score is on using both together? Thanks any and everyone!
  2. Hmmm - that worked for me when (on the linux box) I ran:
  3. Have a stab at FOG? Back in the day when I first saw SCCM I though "funk this" to myself, and never looked back. We use WPKG for software deployment (which is flexible as anything but I don't like, and I'd say you're as good with Group Policy and scripts) and that suits us. Not used SCCM since, but the rumour mill of it being an utter piglet of a thing puts me right off.
  4. Thanks, that got me to it - hadn't defined check_sda1 in /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg on that host, added in: and now all is well.
  5. Hi all - hope this is in the right section, might also do in the network management bit... Anyways, reinstalled Ubuntu server on an old server, uses HP hardware raid so root is on /dev/cciss/c0d0p1. Use nagios here which now gripes as per the title, but, well, yeah there is no /sda1 so that's kinda right, however nagios I don't want you to look for /sda1 I want you to look at /dev/cciss/c0d0p1! Anyone know how to steer it right? I have a feeling I'll need a plugin of some sort on the client to tweak the output to say /dev/sda1 is really /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 but idk. Thanks in advance for any bones thrown!
  6. Well I'll be funked, used that download and my batch file and it all worked! You're the daddy Ryan thanks for that step! Got mysql-5.7.17-winx64 zip from that link. Okay, looks like we're cooking! That's the whole dealey then from start to finish! :)
  7. Thanks both! Ryan, what are you using/did you download that gave you a mysql.exe? I've got a mysqlsh.exe specifically, which I think I got from the mysql-shell-1.0.5 download for Windows. If you recall do let me know, I'll try that out too. Thanks again all.
  8. I understood that changing it to (specifically that) in /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf allowed access from any ip. That right? Can't remember where I googled that up from but it checked out somewhere...
  9. I must admit I can't for the LIFE of me get this bit to work! Linux-side, set the option in /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf thus: # Instead of skip-networking the default is now to listen only on # localhost which is more compatible and is not less secure. bind-address = 0.0.0.0 Then $ netstat -nlt | grep 3306 tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:3306 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN Seems aight. So, create a test kid, or even with the mysql root account. Get myself on a Windows PC with mysql on it. Pass the following to C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Shell 1.0\bin\mysqlsh.exe in a batch file: "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Shell 1.0\bin\mysqlsh.exe" -h 10.10.10.10 -u testkid -p (Where 10.10.10.10 would be the address of my server.) Where I get the following back: MySQL Error (2002): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it connecting to 10.10.10.10:33060 Hmm, so I pass it the port that 10.10.10.10 is listening on with: "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Shell 1.0\bin\mysqlsh.exe" -h 10.10.10.10 --port=3306 -u testkid -p This time I get: MySQL Error (2027): Unknown message received from server 10. Awesome! Thanks MySQL. Is anyone getting the same doing what I'm doing? Have I missed anything obvious? I mean, at this stage students *can* log into the php site and do the work there, but I'd certainly rather they have the shell. Guhh?
  10. ...And promptly forgot. I'll try again tonight!
  11. Gf is a dental nurse. I'll ask for the inside story.
  12. Ooh yes please Ryan, me also. Folks, some awesome teamwork went on in this thread!
  13. Might just be worth mentioning THIS THREAD too, just in case people are looking.
  14. Go Ryan! Let us know how you get on? Post up any juicy/not-so-juicy bits you find?
  15. Yes probably not a bad call. I just got on with vi/vim from the start as pretty much everything's got it out of the box. My old boss hated it and always used joe, but yes there are 'friendlier' text editors out there in the world. And you found another bit I typo-ed and re-wrote!
  16. A decent server setup guide follows at: system installation - How do I install Ubuntu Server (step-by-step) - Ask Ubuntu Only changes I myself would make would be to install OpenSSH only at stage 26 (and it's VERY IMPORTANT to remember that the RED mark DOESN'T mean it's actually selected! Press SPACE and a little star appears, then it's selected, then arrows up/down and tab to ok) and pay some attention to the order of some options in these stages as I'm SURE a couple of screens have changed. Anyway, the above will get you to a point where, once you know the IP address of it (either get it to take a reservation, or once logged in type ifconfig to display it) that you can download putty on a regular Windows PC like what normal, sensible people use and connect to it that way. If you want to set a static IP address for your server on the server itself now you'll *sigh* need to edit a text file. Summary follows: networking - Assigning a static IP to Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS - Ask Ubuntu To actually DO that though, do this: $ sudo su (This'll change you to the root acct. Note the prompt will change as follows.) # cd /etc/network/ (This changes the working directory to the /etc folder, and then the /network folder inside of that.) # cp ./interfaces ./interfaces.BAK (This backs up what's there currently so that if we really screw up we can un-screw it up. Note full-stops there.) # vi ./interfaces (This opens up the file in the world's worst text editor. Srs. If at any time you do something you didn't want whilst editing this or you get scared and want to start again, press the ESC key four or five times, then type ":q!" and enter, without the "". Press the down arrow and right until you're hovering under the 'd' of 'dhcp', where it differs in that link above (as in, where we'd want that word to say 'static' now, usually under the "# The primary network interface" bit.) Press the 'x' key four times. The letters 'dhcp' will disappear. Press the 'a' key - you're now in "insert mode." Type the word "static" then press ESC key. Press the 'o' key. Now press the tab key, type out each line (with regards to the settings you'll need for your network) pressing enter at the end of each line, then tab once at the start of each line. When you've finished the last bit of the last IP address on the last line, press the ESC key about four or five times, then once you're definitely sure it's all reading as it should, type ":x" without the "" and press enter. Acid test will be when you restart the box and try to putty back in/ping it! Oh, and restarting is usually only done by the root acct out-of-the-box, and is # shutdown -r now
  17. Katy you're a legend thanks SO MUCH! Think there's any merit in knocking up a click-by-click guide for non-Linux users? If so I'll get the ball rolling. Please amend as an ongoing concern if it'll be any use to anyone. Pink text means an incomplete area and I'll get back to this when I can (meant to put it up whole but work :/ ) [color=#000000][font=Arial]Here’s how to (or how I do.) Oi oi.[/font][/color] [color=#ee82ee][font=Arial]Install ubuntu server to a VM or a mouldy old HP pizza box in a toilet somewhere. You’ll be prompted to set up an account just to log in as, so do. Note the IP addy. It’ll want to be connected to the internet too.[/font][/color] [color=#ee82ee] [/color][color=#ee82ee][font=Arial]If you wanna go sit in your office to administer this box now, download and run putty from your Windows machine. Log in with that account you set up whilst doing the above.[/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial]Once up, you’ll want to install mysql and phpmyadmin, so we’ll get on. If you’ve just logged in, we’ll change to the root account first: [/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial][i]$ sudo su[/i][/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial](Prompt then appears wanting this box’s root password:)[/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial][i]# apt-get update[/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial] [/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial](Takes a little bit.)[/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial][i]# apt-get install mysql-server[/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial] [/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial](Takes another little while. You’ll be prompted twice for a root account password for mysql. Note this is going to be a different root account to THE MACHINE’S root account, this one’ll be just for the mysql root account.)[/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial][img=https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/jvt267qf3_Bu5QHhPOryVUhwAYNlyH1b-ONtdNDuUkkRpmYE9iYJuVvdQzY3vR7_rch20VkEWo3pZH8duq5kK_j1xePaGhHnIF1gAMx9UTYk7cGMG5RiIWLDX33qCiPV3-Ig5Wsv][/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial][i]# mysql -u root -p[/i][/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial](Then you’ll be prompted to enter the mysql root account password. This is just to test that it works and the prompt will change to “mysql>” - if it does, top notch! Type “exit”.)[/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial][i]# apt-get install phpmyadmin[/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial] [/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial](Now, it’s VERY important you read the following when you see this box:[/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial][img=https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/WoxMRlUM9ldyrPs8uW5BLvh7Zyg2wSXyJ3ntllaqH3p3-NbWTepF_XzexwT_JqL1yV_g4Npe6ttfRiVkYISkE4KHyvgVYObaRQ6OVW3fUSbwu9d-YEni41Wt0O06Fmxrg3kc5Jln][/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial]The RED square here means that the option is HIGHLIGHTED but NOT SELECTED! Press SPACE to insert a little start into/select the top/apache2 option, then TAB to ok as below:[/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial][img=https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/g6bWa1h5xRTrP7--zAtUbI_adWgFjMP-wzqunSwS10cOLE2mai_-oDPZ4QuBTVPSPUhIPhMBON0ABsOfdZYgqaEFoFSaCrkEVl9M1FLiJVWEtXSWogY8FGFZ1gCLfLPi0B3Z99gv][/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial]At this screen, opt for a quiet life and select yes:[/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial][img=https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/7b2UUrFvzHfkacjS46JKUNnBsOHnEZkDVKCA6bVZIf6PCwDWRiI1Ek3FXsl_jJJ6Qasc437TRw8U3c-oQO5UGZXfgUlVkrmf2Z74MojQqGdp3HdudFrkinLQrwGknkZ9xo6rXSkp][/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial]Now you’re prompted for ANOTHER password![/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial][img=https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_abDaa2mhE4hoOieGGCJY_4d6fDwUzEOHkWHxpIEaUtlxXacBuWbl9Puj2hX23Rx7Z4Zt7kbNwDBaYkR2FIyqPIqI-6FkKuypStP1f0njH92_jt9snrTn0G3PWz2EDbnJ9mEqOED][/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial] [/font][/color] [color=#000000][font=Arial]Now once that’s all done, go to a normal PC for normal people that runs oh I dunno Windows, and type into a browser: [/font][/color][url="http://myservernameoripaddress/phpmyadmin"][color=#1155CC][font=Arial][u]http://myservernameoripaddress/phpmyadmin[/u][/font][/color][/url] [color=#ee82ee][font=Arial]That’s it BUT if you want to get PROPER CLEVER just for a bit of polish, you can edit that stupid sailing ship thingy to your school logo:[/font][/color] [color=#ee82ee][font=Arial][img=https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/UMDTGTmEYuufPlA9P_Pqs7-RLJdiyTiOJLA9XN2tLgHRN7r4XabkwQXFUd4alqJmWsQhAHlWRrBpMYoPr8Z5QduBxj-7DJu5BypFkQxnMFHcOt6G0G_YiW8fmv6ObwkaAlEUDc96][/font][/color] [color=#ee82ee] [/color] [list] [*][color=#ee82ee]Make up a .png of roughly the same size[/color] [*][color=#ee82ee]Put it in /usr/share/phpmyadmin/themes/ and call it “logo_right.png” without the “”.[/color] [*][color=#ee82ee]# service apache2 restart[/color] [/list] If there's not really any merit in it then no worries.
  18. Ooh, yes please, and if you can knock up anything resembling a walkthrough you'll pretty much be a new deity around here!
  19. Hi all - have read a little bit on this, hoping to get some war stories on setting it up. If you have it, was the process horrible or ok? Is it good/bad day-to-day? I think we'd be looking to not initially integrate with biometrics and go Eclipse-hosted. Anyone with anything to say I'm grateful to read it!
  20. Ooh cheers - I'll take a look.
  21. Cheers for all that - I'll add those in. I'm trying to lock the things down so hard they are forced to connect to and use just one wifi network and proxy which they can't change, have a profile picture and wallpaper set for them that they can't change, skip any and all of the MANY Google feature exploration presentation shows that happen before you actually get anywhere with a chromebook, and not change their usernames to "Spicy Spicy" all the time with pictures of Ainsley Harriott all over them. In short, I need them to log in, open Chrome and use Google drive and that's their lot. They also won't be taking them off site. At least not yet.
  22. Hello all - trying to make all this brief. Pretty much just want to lock down Chromebooks so that the kids get no access to anything with regards to settings (changing wifi network etc,) have a desktop wallpaper and avatar/profile picture enforced with no ability to change it, can only log on on-site, and effectively just open chrome and gmail. We're a GAFE school with gmail which I've inherited. It seems to work fine for the most part but I detest completely the 'Google experience' vibe that goes with it all; I'm old-fashioned in that I don't want freedom and expression and creativity and collaboration and clouds and fairies, I want tight policies and locking down and kids not fiddling with anything! Anyone have anything similar to what I want above? I've tried setting anything relevant in Apps Console > Device Management > Chrome > User/Device settings but not winning on the above. Thanks any and everyone.
  23. Hi Jenny - sorry just saw this, you already have done. Came back to post that, full disclosure, some of the setup was done by a rather 'keen' SLT without myself and TASC being involved all the way, and made a bit of a pig's ear of the whole deal (my words, not TASC's, who were altogether more diplomatic.) TASC rep came in for half a day at very very short notice and helped us put it right, and the helpdesk support is still as decent as ever. Still finding our feet with it, but more 'there' than not.
  24. "I gotta fill this nappy in time for Rainbow." ^ Haven't thought that one in about 34 years.
  25. That was all very very good to know thanks both.
×
×
  • Create New...