MrDylan
Members-
Posts
99 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by MrDylan
-
Everyone here bar the Head wants to get a Leasing Scheme running. Unfortunately, like I said, the Head doesn't.
-
Yes, yes it is. Unfortunately it wasn't so much the content of the emails, just the sheer amount of time they would spend on it. Teachers here seem to view the removal and/or banning of something the only way to prevent it, as opposed to discipline.
-
I've recently rolled out Firefox so our students and staff CAN access Hotmail. I don't see the point in blocking it, they'll only find some other web based email provider. Also, we've had more trouble with our internal email, which has been banned for anyone not in year 11 or up. When it's enabled for lower years they spend all lesson emailing each other rubbish, but they don't seem to bother doing that on hotmail, presumably because they don't know the little girls address they want to abuse.
-
I've just installed Liberum for people to report problems. Until then it's just being the tried and tested method of people ringing/popping into the office and telling us what was wrong, then us writing it in out book of problems.
-
I don't have an RM network and I know nothing about them, but I've had similar password problems on our AD setup. I've found resetting the affected users' passwords will clear it up though.
-
Have you looked through the suggestions on this page? http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=3019&eventno=149&source=MRxSmb&phase=1
-
Did you remember to check the box for Search System Folders and [search Hidden Files and Folders[/i]? If you know there's definately some there that would explain it. Other than that you could do with setting some Recycle Bin GPOs. Find these under: User Configuration ¦ Administrative Templates ¦ Windows Components ¦ Windows Explorer Here you can set a maximum size for the Recycle bin, or stop it being used altogether. Incidentally, you'll find that if items are deleted from a mapped drive, the Recycle Bin will not be used, whereas if items are deleted from My Documents, then it will be used.
-
Well it's taken me a while to look into, I got distracted with your blog, tut, and then the Liberum link, which amused me as a got an error when trying to look at the demo....simple minds, simple things. Anyway, on topic. It seems to have being fixed. Turned out not to be a macro setting, or security related in any way. It was the printer. Yes, the printer. It's picky about the default printer it seems, and although I'd looked into that and thought I'd tried removing it and putting another there, I mustn't have. Some machines have our netowork PDF writer as default, if that's the case then it Access has issues, set a real network printer as default, it's all happy. Strange but true. Thanks for your time indiegirl, have a good weekend. (that doesn't mean I'm going home now mind...)
-
Hi, When anyone, administrators included, try to create a report with the wizard they receive the following error: Wizard was unable to create report If they try to run an existing report nothing at all happens.
-
We have a mandatory profile that everyone gets at logon. Local logons are disabled, without server connectivity there's no logon at all except local Admin. The profile is the same for everyone, except the Start Menu, and noone can change anything at all, and if they do it's undone at logoff.
-
It's dreadful, we've had nothing but trouble with it. It's aimed at more Test Centres I think, where security isn't as tight as in a school, so there's lots of problems. We've had it installed for months, and never had a smooth test run, which wouldn't be too bad but there's an £8 charge and if it fails, well, tough. After all the problems we wanted a refund but NCC (Litmus) said they'd charge £500 for a call out we had if we went ahead with it. I believer we're ditching it when the current candidates have completed. The KS3 stuff is much better from an Admin POV, though I'm not sure if any tests have being run with it yet.
-
aha! Thankyou DMcCoy. I've managed to my vLAN and assign it to a port, thankyou very much, problem solved. See, Menu's are good, it's just a matter of knowing where to find things.
-
I've had a look in that but can't find how to change the vLANs at all. I can do with it is view the MAC addresses of devices attached to the default vLAN of the switch.
-
Hi, We used to be completely Cisco, which had the lovely Cisco Management Suite, y'know you just can't beat a GUI when you're simple like me. Anyway, we not have some HP Procurves, they cost a third of what the Cisco switches do and come with a lifetime warranty. The problem is we don't have the GUI that the Cisco ones had, so we had out contractors draw up some simple telnet instructions so we can still change vLANs. It's important we can change them as teachers can block internet access from rooms using ISA server as the main ICT rooms are all on their own vLAN. These instructions have worker fine for other switches, but we've had a new one installed and I'm getting an error, this is what happens: I telnet into the switch. If I don't have the # prompt I type enable I then type show int status This should list all ports and their current vLANs, but instead on this switch I receive this: Invalid Input: Status Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Like I said, it works fine on the other Procurves just not this one.
-
Lockdown showdown: NetOp, Net Support, Ranger, LanView
MrDylan replied to ITWombat's topic in How do you do....it?
Whatever you go for, stay away from Sanako, which used to be Imperata. -
Yeah, http://www.sun.com works absolutley fine. Tried it with Firefox1.5, IE6 and tried with Administrator and pupil accounts.
-
I installed it on Monday, don't seem to be experiencing any problems, not really seen any improvements either though so maybe not worth the risk if problems have being reported.
-
There's a way to assign access, so presumably remove access, in Exchange System Manager, on the server. Have a look at the security settings on: ***** +Global Settings +Recepients -Administrative Groups - -First Administrative Group - - -Servers - - - -SERVERNAME - - - - -First Storage Group - - - - - -Mailbox Store (SERVERNAME) Check the security settings on that, and the 'Mailboxes' folder and see if they corrispond to the issues you're having.
-
Well... you learn something new every day! I've always wondered how many ways there are to protect yourself from a vampire mmmm Buffy Summers to the rescue me thinks ....... /me goes away thinking happy thoughts Buffy? What's she gonna do, stake them with her nose? God she's ugly.
-
I've had a simolar problem. I had loads of trouble with my Mandatory profile for months after upgrading all our servers. It had worked fine for a year or so until then. There seemed to be no pattern to it either, you could set it up on a computer with a brand new user, then apply it to another test user and it wouldn't work, or it would work for all users on only a couple of PCs, then it would stop working altogether. It seemed to be a user issue at times, and a computer issue at others. In the end it turned out to be Group Policies. I had to remove them all and completely redo them. This sorted the problem. It didn't make any sense, but it worked.
-
Shadowcopies is a great feature as nearly all our restore jobs were accidental deletions and such. The only bad thing I've found is that when you delete something they shouldn't have (flash games, too much music etc), they have a habit of restoring it again! I may look into the GP of removing the tab for users who abuse the system though, at the minute I have to create a new account and copy only allowed things to the new area!
