Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

acb_

Members
  • Posts

    144
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by acb_

  1. That's a nice approach. Thanks
  2. acb_

    Screen of Mystery

    I don't think so. It's possible, but I discounted it. He's a year 12 who works for us two afternoons a week, very gifted little script kiddie he is, but he tends to go pink when under pressure, and he remained pasty white when reporting it... Nope I'll have a squint when it's back up again
  3. Aaaarrggggh!! Escaping quotes in vbs is my arch-nemesis!! :twisted:
  4. acb_

    Screen of Mystery

    Nope, both of them will become active and both can be moved around the screen with the mouse...
  5. acb_

    Screen of Mystery

    OK, here's this week's mystery. Our sixth form herbert has been out on his travels, checking suites. I just got an email inviting me to VNC into a specific machine. When I did, this is what I saw. Both would become active, and move round the screen in response to mouse input. But neither would respond to Ctrl-Alt-Del. What do you make of it?
  6. VNC is a handy tool, no? Watching kids doing what they shouldn't during lessons over VNC and hitting random buttons as they attempt to log in to hotmail or Kings of Chaos or other such 'educational' sites. We could only imagine their puzzled little faces as their passwords failed to work. Again and again. My favourite is a quick command line and 'pssuspend //remotemachine UnrealTournamen' . Then you wait for them to get fed up, kill the UT session, start it up again, just get going then it's up arrow, enter and it freezes all over again... Bless :twisted:
  7. We use Dell Axim x51s. They are OK - they do what they need to do, they need rebooting a lot because of roaming issues but I'm not sure that's an issue with the units themselves...
  8. Go on post it then. Pretty please OK, here you are. I've spent a little while annotating the code - you'll see we do things very much our way here. The code is scrappy and needs overhauling, but as it was my first attempt, and it has grown incrementally over time it was inevitable... Er, you use it at your own risk, of course lilacadmin.zip
  9. Front page is here but it won't tell you much...
  10. Xnview. All kinds of conversion, resizing, all sorts. Comes with command line version, very handy for scripting
  11. *nods* I wrote an HTA (my first) which sits at the corner of my screen and launches all sorts of stuff at the click of a button: log on history of user (full history or last event) log on history of machine (full history or last event) opens documents folder of user opens IE history of user displays information about user's profile size backs up and zaps user profile pings remote machine opens vnc session on remote machine displays MAC address of remote machine displays date remote machine was built logs current user off immediately reports timestamp of last startup fires up PSExec aimed at remote machine, also PSKill and PSList takes and saves a screen dump of the remote machine restarts remote machine kills/enables internet access on remote machine sends message to desktop of remote machine The concept started off as a bunch of batch files I summoned from the command line. Over time I've developed it and we stick stuff on it as and when we think it's a good idea. It's an invaluable tool for sitautions where a quick response is needed. I was amazed how easy it was to create something so useful
  12. I like the offhand way they say 'oh well, we only ever run it at 12 teraflops...'
  13. Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes. I have been known, on occasion, to trawl through the Audit Logs to prove to the individual who reported the mysterious loss that it was caused by a human agent, in fact, quite often by them...
  14. Seconded
  15. We've found unbalanced useage in our pooled printers too. If you find a way of cracking it I'd be glad to hear it.
  16. The only free disposal place I have found is pcb-plus. They're based in Derby, so we have to wait until they have a batch of local donors before they'll make the trip. The driver we've had on a couple of occasions seemed a bit miserable, but he took the stuff away Not a charitable donation, I appreciate - but a solution to our problem, nonetheless...
  17. Thanks for the heads up - downloading right now
  18. I sincerely hope not! Although it would be a minor miracle if he did... 8O Congratulations to you, hope it all goes well :thumbup:
  19. We bought a huge programmable one off eBay. It's the size of a brick It also has LCD screen and stylus. I trained it with the single remaining remote, and it works like a dream, has all the functions of the original.
  20. When we wanted to locate a machine whose IP we know, but whose location we didn't, we executed a script on it remotely which sounded the internal speaker (Ctrl G) at frequent intervals, the idea being that we'd be contacted by whoever was nearest to it reporting a problem with it. In the end, no one got in touch; they didn't need to, the machine was sat just outside our office, on our workbench :oops:
  21. acb_

    Share Permissions

    Heh, got caught like that on my home network last week. *&%$^ing piece of software re-ordered the share permissions on my server, so I reinstated the shares but forgot it would only be read. Took me far too long to work it out :oops:
  22. We have smartwater and selectamark. I always wondered how effective selectamark was; we had a test of it at the end of last term when a herbert stuck one of our science laptops under his jumper and walked off with it. Unfortunately for him he was seen and squealed on, and the machine was returned to us a few days later. He'd managed to remove the selectamark labels but it had left a sticky mess on the case of the machine, and he'd tried to get rid of the etched blobs but they were still happily readable. I wonder if he thinks it was worth it?
  23. I'd love to come to this, and the summer hols are the perfect time, except that's A Level results download day
  24. No probs, happy to help. CPC are great, never had a problem with them.
  25. CPC do a few: example
×
×
  • Create New...