Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

acb_

Members
  • Posts

    144
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by acb_

  1. I read Law for my degree, qualified as a Solicitor, walked away from it 6 months post qualification, worked with a deaf charity for years, finishing by running communication services (interpreting) for our region, was made redundant, worked with another national charity, was made redundant, bought some MCSE training with the redundancy (got burned there, they were worse than useless ) and applied for current post purely on spec on the off-chance they might give me an interview and I might get some experience of what IT interviews were like. I had experience of home networking, being an enthusiastic self taught user and of being the Windows/application helpdesk in previous posts. No one was more surprised than me when on the basis of interview, practical tests and a written test, they offered me the job... They were brave enough to go for potential, lucky me The MCPs are ok as far as they go - I have three - but I passed the first one with a score of 972 having used the OS in question only once...
  2. We assign very short leases to PDAs, longer leases to fixed workstations - all within the same scope, differentiated by classid.
  3. This is the script that I used to add our new wireless access points. It's a cmd file which relies on two external text files for input - they should be saved in the same folder as the cmd file. The first (servers.txt) lists the IP addresses of your DHCP servers, because you'll want to make the reservations on all of them; we have two. The second (wapmacs.txt) lists the details of the objects for which you want to make a reservation. It will need to contain as tab separated values the IP address you want to reserve for the object, the MAC address of the object, the name of the object and (optionally) a description for the object. @echo off FOR /F %%b IN (%~dp0servers.txt) DO @call :perserver %%b goto :EOF :perserver FOR /F "delims=," %%c IN (%~dp0WAPMACs.txt) DO call :listit %1 %%c goto :EOF :listit echo %* pause echo %1 + %2 + %3 + %4 ::netsh dhcp server %1 scope xx.xx.xxx.0 add reservedip %2 %3 %4 echo netsh dhcp server %1 scope xx.xx.xxx.0 add reservedip %2 %3 %4 pause goto :EOF NOTE: as it stands, this code will simply echo the parameters it finds and the netsh command it creates; it won't do anything, it's in test mode. To use it in anger you'll need to uncomment the netsh line and comment the echoes and pauses below :listit. Use it at your own risk - I won't be responsible for consequences. Examples of the content of the accompanying files: WAPMACS.txt xxx.xxx.xxx.105 00156CD656B0 WirelessAP29 "Wireless Access Point" xxx.xxx.xxx.106 00156CD656B1 WirelessAP30 "Wireless Access Point" xxx.xxx.xxx.107 00156CD656B2 WirelessAP31 "Wireless Access Point" servers.txt xx.xx.xxx.14 xx.xx.xxx.15
  4. You can script DHCP reservations - I did this for our Wireless Access Points. Can dig out an example script if you want.
  5. Congratulations and welcome to Jamie
  6. I was taught binary at Junior school in the 70s. I learned to count in binary on my fingers - a useful ability which serves me well in my Microsoft exams
  7. My boss just got a glazed 'back in the day' look in his eye then Sadly 'Winchester' means nothing to me...
  8. I've grabbed this, and I must say it's done the job nicely. I now have huge reports on all my servers for future reference should things go askew. It's really nice to have a list of all shares & their permissions, also scheduled tasks, as well as hardware and loads of other gubbins. I'm just debating whether to print it out as a hard copy might be useful in extreme disaster situations...
  9. *applauds heartily*
  10. *knows but won't say anything* ETA eek, didn't notice someone had spotted it already...
  11. Conditional Formatting will do this, you will need to base it on a formula comparing the two cells rather than the value of a cell (it's a dropdown in the dialog).
  12. Our school's main intranet page. We use the intranet as a central feature of our network - all programs are launched from it.
  13. Thanks for the headsup - we both got a place at Bristol
  14. Congratulations to you both and welcome to junior
  15. We have a similar error here. When affected users use another workstation, there is no error. When unaffected users use the affected user's workstation, there is no error. We are testing a fix based on a hunch...
  16. Included in the Server 2003 Resource Kit tools is checkrepl.vbs I have seen mention of ReplMon.exe being included, but I can't find it in mine :?
  17. We do a lot of stuff remotely, so we insist on a machine name before we go any further.
  18. We create a map of the room on an hta (it also doubles as our internet turning on/off interface). If they can't tell us the name of the machine, we refer them to the room plan and they can find it on there
  19. acb_

    Client PC Stats

    @Ric_ We pipe (append) the machine name, event (on or off), username, date, time, server to a central log named for the user, to a central log named for the machine, and to a local log on the machine. At the click of a button, we have a user's logon history, or that of a machine. Very handy
  20. acb_

    Client PC Stats

    This is very similar to our approach. Jolly useful it is, too
  21. PSList shows processes on a remote machine. PSKill will kill processes on a remote machine either by process ID or name. I haven't used them on an XP machine, we're 2K here...
  22. Instead of applying the formatting based on the cell's own value, base on the formula of your choice.
  23. Congratulations, and welcome little Poppy
  24. We've offered our site manager the opportunity of being included in our helpdesk set up, though if we go with the one we're using atm I think we'd need to create a separate instance of it for his team, as the categories that exist now are already more than sufficient to confuse our dear users... We have a setup here in our office where we have a crappy old pc which sits there monitoring our wireless network. I've stuck a local printer on it (a Brother which is mechanically sound, it just produces a crappy quality printout, which we don't mind) and then I installed some 'print email' software which goes and checks a specific mailbox and if there is mail, prints it out automatically. When our sixth form herbert comes in for his two hours after school, all his jobs are sat there ready for him to pick up and trot off and do. We've proposed a similar setup for the site management team.
  25. acb_

    Screen of Mystery

    Har har We killed it last night when it wouldn't respond... I just thought it was an interesting sight and one you don't see every day, so I decided to share it. I'm a sharing kinda gal :mrgreen:
×
×
  • Create New...