Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

CyberNerd

Members
  • Posts

    9,169
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CyberNerd

  1. I really need the live test data with thousands of users/computers.
  2. How do you do it? I want to replicate my Active Directory environment - complete with all of the data and use it in an isolated test environment. What's the best way to do this?Is there a standard MS tool for this? I was tempted to create a new member server, DCPromo it and then take it offline - but I'm sure that cleaning up the mess afterwards would be non-trivial, besides I'd like to keep the name of the DC. Could I just use VMWare to replicate the machine, export it and run on a separate box? Any gotchas (other than it accidentally going back on the original domain)?
  3. being from Cern means that its not wholly dependant upon volunteers to maintain it.
  4. A school is going to have the same interference sources as any other business. Our wireless survey (just under £1000) among other things picked up that we were using an active infrared alarm system (on 2.4GHz). It would never have occurred to me that this was a source of interference without expert help. We replaced the alarm system before deploying the WiFi. The survey was a drop in the ocean compared to the cost of controller and AP's.
  5. I'd concentrate on support. The H3C/3Com kit is much more common (its better kit) so it is easier to get hold of qualified technical people to help fix things. If you move on they'll find it easier to get someone who knows HP than netgear. It has better debugging features (I don't know that for a fact as I don't really know the netgear, but the debugging features on A5120 and A5800 are significant). The HP has a lifetime warranty.
  6. I suspect you can do this en masse through GAM. https://code.google.com/p/google-apps-manager/wiki/
  7. Most staff use Chrome and FF which we keep updated. The IE is the default install for XP and win7, whatever that is. I don't get many calls about it as no-one really uses it.
  8. Its XBMC. oh wait...
  9. How come that's Flash not Silverlight?
  10. They installed one at the beginning of the year. Serial connection to the boiler. XP only - no updates or Win7 support. I was not amused and made the company put in their own PC to maintain.
  11. That MS have been in the smartphone market a LONG time and they completely dropped the ball.
  12. MS should decouple Office from the rest of the company and it would make even more money. I couldn't imagine a scenario where a non-MS company wouldn't sell office for the majority of platforms - ie unix based telephones and tablets.
  13. It depends on how selectively you use your figures. In 2004 Microsoft had 23% of the smartphone marketshare. Getting 3.5% marketshare in 2013 isn't too good. Microsoft plans
  14. So it has a camera on it and doesn't switch off. hmm.
  15. ^ that would do. looks like the generation above ours.
  16. I've done this. Been in place for 2 or 3 years. Works well except when kids kick (extremely well aimed) footballs at it. IIRC We get around 300Mbs at probably 200-300M We use 5GhZ ubiquiti nanostations
  17. We've got a few of those 5120's and a A5800 core. I'd thoroughly recommend them. Make sure you get a bid price from HP - a 48 port A5120 should come in less than £1350 IIRC.
  18. Apparently you can turn it off AND on by voice. Not sure how that works, unless it's always on.
  19. Some nice looking IRF stacks in the HP list !!!!
  20. If you follow Becta's technical specifications for institutional infrastructure you won't go far wrong. We did when it came out (in 2005) and BYOD was a breeze because everything was pretty much setup for it. It was in a large part because we took the open standards parts seriously. Here's a link: http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20101102103654/http://schools.becta.org.uk/upload-dir/downloads/techspec_institutional_infrastructure_version_d_final.odt
  21. 99% of the people here didn't take any notice of BECTA, or at least cherry picked the bits that suited them.
  22. we got these for £400 ea. Lenovo with 5yr warranty from Misco.
  23. • Intel® Core™ i3 processor • 4GB RAM • 320GB hard drive • DVD-RW • Microsoft® Windows® 7 Professional • Keyboard • Mouse • 19” TFT monitor • Vesa mount bracket. + 5yr onsite warranty
  24. Starfish does kill cats. I wasn't advocating it!
  25. I did this a few years back (2005 IIRC) at the time Zimbra was way ahead of exchange for functionality and ease of use. We've ditched them both now and have Google hosted email which is *significantly* less admin time for me.
×
×
  • Create New...