liveman2
Members-
Posts
105 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by liveman2
-
Is it infecting an entire machine or just profiles, are are the profiles linked in any way i.e. Staff or Students? Also is it the same couple of people?
-
You could use applocker. This could prevent unspecified applications from running, although you would need to create a whitelist. It's also not guaranteed to protect against every single kind of virus. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-GB/library/hh831440.aspx
-
I second this product! Paid - but really good product!
-
Very interesting... What are you running on the desktops?
-
The "Cards against humanity" game. It's a card game and it's awesome! Guaranteed to be a winner at uni!
-
Has anyone here ever considered migrating a school/put a case together to migrate away from the Microsoft world? even say to setup a lab with Macs or running Linux? Just quite interested to hear if anyone ever has and what were the results? Specifically as the IT curriculum has recently changed. I have always personally been a massive fan of the Microsoft bandwagon, however I can imagine that learning linux when I was younger could have been handy.
-
I have created a tool for sending encrypted messages using gnupg. I just want to see of anyone would like to use this tool, it's very easy to use once setup and requires just a little time to get going. You can create an encrypted attachment in seconds, and open one you have received. Pre-Requisites - GNUPG - Windows 7+ (not tested on other versions, but could work) Setup - Deploy GNUPG to machines (this could just be teacher machines, or staff and student too) - Register public keys created for use with GNUPG (copy them to a local folder on the HDD and use a batch file to register them) - Manually register the users private key and put the password into the program manually. This is one-time as it will be saved. Would anyone find this of use?
-
Could you just place the shortcuts on the users desktop and bypass the start menu ?
-
As far as this goes it requires a personal email for each user and must be re-authenticated once a year. I'm not sure that it's meant for mass-deployment in an organisation. You could get around this by deploying it and asking them just to each sign up. In this case a first-use guide would probably come in handy.
-
Why it's better to pretend you don't know anything about computers.
liveman2 replied to jinnantonnixx's topic in General Chat
These are pretty cool posters. -
I am not sure, it definitely makes the annoying annimation dissapear though.
-
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon] "EnableFirstLogonAnimation"=dword:00000000
-
AUP for Guests, Parents , Visitors etc?
liveman2 replied to MattDLEA's topic in Learning Network Manager
You can also do this via Group Policy. Windows 7: How to Show a Custom Text Message Before Logon through Group Policy Preferences - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki -
[bug/error] Loading posts not working?
liveman2 replied to Edu-IT's topic in EduGeek.net Site Problems
No problems here using Safari, OSX. -
You can also get one that sounds when the charger is removed: A.L.A.R.M. - A Laptop A/C Removal Monitor v1.01 IMO this is a better solution as no additional USB is required.
-
Lenovo X1 Carbon: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon i7 8GB RAM 240GB SSD Win 8 Pro Ultrabook Laptop | eBay These are pretty lightweight.
-
MS Outlook 2010, iCloud and Gmail contacts issues
liveman2 replied to Gaz's topic in Office Software
I had a family member who was having issues recently with Outlook and iCloud. I figured that rather then keep having the issues i'd use the imap protocol instead and uninstalled the plugin. In relation to contacts I know that there is a setting in iTunes for contact syncing that is able to sync with Outlook. So it should work like this: iCloud > iPhone > Sync Service (iTunes Connector) > Outlook then the user could also make a change on Outlook, and when they sync with iTunes it would sync with their phone. This is how I understand it to work. Check: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12317?locale=en_US -
Update seems pretty stable since I installed it. Also upgraded to Office 2016 which is super speedy.
-
Make Windows 10 start menu like Windows 2016's (Multiple folder levels)
liveman2 replied to DrCheese's topic in Windows 10
It actually depends on the requirements. I agree that my first choice is not third party software but however if you can't achieve what you need with the built-in tools, this is a good third party alternative. -
Make Windows 10 start menu like Windows 2016's (Multiple folder levels)
liveman2 replied to DrCheese's topic in Windows 10
Classic Shell is still worth a look if you want more customisation. It's freeware and has some configurable options. Classic Shell • View topic - Apply start menu settings and customizations to All Users -
NetSupport Notify - Multi platform alerting solution - This tool could work. Not free but includes 50 PC Trial for 30 days.
-
Warning... This update takes time. I just downloaded over a fibre connection and installed on an i7 Haswell, SSD, 16GB of RAM. Took at least a few hours. After the first restart the system was slow and crashy so I had to force a cold boot. After that, it works fine. I noticed that the built-in Mail app is significantly improved with support for S/Mime certs and also the option to turn off the awful conversation view.
-
Administrative Access and the works
liveman2 replied to GRitchie's topic in Learning Network Manager
True it still has its downsides and ocasionally we did have a few problems. It was mostly about making the users feel that they had partial control and IT would just facilitate their needs. I found that backup solutions such as Crashplan Enterprise are quite good for recovering from Ransomware... but again... depends on Budget, Time & Resources etc. -
Administrative Access and the works
liveman2 replied to GRitchie's topic in Learning Network Manager
Glad to hear this went well, just my 2 cents. When I worked at a University, we had a script that would give a user local admin access to any PC on the network. Maybe this is something that could be considered. The idea was that if a user requires something specific they could install etc on their own workstation and access would be removed after a specified time automatically. This also meant that they never needed network admin access. -
Windows 10 Pro Here - It just found and downloaded it.
