djones
Members-
Posts
332 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by djones
-
Thanks for that! What about updating FMS? We are on 6.85 on the existing workstation but the CD will install something like 6.7x on the new workstation. Will this be automatically updated as well on first run? Edit: Capita are sending me v6.83 on CD which is an installable version apparently.
-
Ok, to answer my own question...theoretically as haven't had a chance to test yet! Install SIMS using '\\servername\adapps$\sims\setups\simsinst.exe' and then specifiy server location of connect.ini. Before doing anything make a copy of the 'FMSApplicationSetup.exe' and 'FMSApplicationsetup.exe.signature' files from within the 'S:\SIMS\Setups' folder as the CD setup will overwrite these with older versions. From the Capita Support site courtesy of Ron Pender: Before running FMS, copy back the 'FMSApplicationSetup.exe' and 'FMSApplicationsetup.exe.signature' into the 'S:\SIMS\Setups' folder. Last thing to do is ensure the right shortcuts are created and used. Edit: Would I need to perform a manual update using the SOLUS shortcut or will this be automatically detected as it is for SIMS.net? Does this look correct? Edit #2: These steps installed FMS correctly (I used a v6.83 CD from Capita) and on first run updated to v6.85 automatically.
-
How did you install it? I need the path to the installer, instructions etc for installing SIMS.net and FMS on new workstations with a view to adding this to the generic boot image I have created. Thanks, Dave.
-
Bingo, well...nearly! It looks like I may have successfully created a generic, hal independent base windows xp image with all required software and settings that is captured and then deployable using WDS to all our PCs and laptops (Dell - D505, D510, D520, GX520 and 755). It correctly loads the required drivers for each machine and joins the domain in the correct OU ready to be used by domain users. This has been the first time I have experimented with WDS and SYSPREP and it has taken the best part of a week to get everything setup and working, cobbling together the various different resources and guides available online. I have scribbled notes along the way so I hope to be able to put together a complete step-by-step guide from start to finish sometime in the next couple of weeks (bit busy at the moment!). This is all on a test server/setup at the moment so the real test will be when I have to replicate my steps in order to implement it on the production server/network next week. The things I haven't yet implemented (not tried as of this moment) is using a WDSClientUnattend.xml file to automate drive partitioning, formatting etc and adding reg tweaks after sysprep and mini-setup have run. I feel quite clever at the moment! Not sure how long it'll last though ;-) Dave.
-
You could image one PC based on its OEM key and then post imaging, change each PC's key to its correct OEM as per the sticker.
-
I've played with GPO for software distribution before and not had much luck hence why I'm going for the complete image. I haven't actually tried to create a hal independent image of xp yet but I have read an incredible amount on the internet so far including using WDS to deploy one xp image regardless of hardware. However, some is conflicting advice so I am confused about certain elements! I am going to give it a go and intend to write an idiots guide based on info from here and elsewhere. There are a lot of guides but not many that combine all the parts I and I expect others need or want :-(
-
I am about to build a new image of windows xp plus our load of software to use throughout school (hal independent, automated everything and using WDS if I can learn/make it work quickly enough!). What are your... ...must install applications/tools? ...must config options? ...must disable/uninstall components/services? And anything else you can think of! Thanks muchly, Dave.
-
No significant reason why not, I'd just rather a 'native' network solution. That's a bit pants! To repeat gwendes' question, "Is that all on gigabit?"
-
I was planning to (and used to at a previous school) take the drive home and store it in my fire proof safe - I never considered that this might infringe the DPA! Oops! But then the data wasn't exactly available to anybody else. We do have a fire proof safe in another part of the building that I could and would use now thinking about it. Anyway, back to the original question The Drobo system looks good but as you say only supports USB at the moment. I would prefer a NAS solution and need to buy now. Any recommendations? Thanks, David.
-
Sorry for the repeat of this, often asked, question but please bare with me! I am looking for backup options for our primary school. I have been looking at the Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ (2x500GB one) but have a question (or two) that I thought someone on here might know the answer to. I want to be able to hot swap one drive (say weekly) and take it off site, bringing it back and swaping out another the following week. I presume I would need a third drive to make this possible? Sorry for sounding stupid but my knowledge when it comes to raid and hot swaping etc is pretty low! Thanks, David.
-
Garden Nature have some lovely looking ones that I am looking to try/buy for school (and home!).
-
IPCop works very well as a proxy, cache, filter, etc etc and even on limited hardware. However, I'm not sure if Espresso requires their own server - we have one of their boxes but I haven't got around to investigating how it does anything - just know it works and that is all I care about at the moment! Sorry!
-
Hmmm, I think I'd want both - their own and ones applied from GPO - typical! 'Cake...and...eat' springs to mind!
-
Thought so :-( Will redirecting the Application Data folder enable Outlook settings (for example) to 'roam' with a user? We have TAs that will be using desktop PCs to access their email / school diary and won't always use the same one - unlike teachers who will use their laptops.
-
Is saving of bookmarks possible with a mandatory profile? I seem to remember trying it in the past and it not being possible or have I missed something?
-
You wouldn't need to RIPPREP it first - just image it.
-
Ghosting a raid 1 server works fine (I've used ghost 2003 for this purpose) but not sure about raid 5 - never tried. You MUST test the restore though as as Dos_Box says, AD is a funny beast. A second DC is the recommeded method.
-
Thanks Tom. I will definitely be getting quotes and surveys done but I've always found it useful to find out as much as possible myself first! ;-) I would really appreciate more details about the Luton job. Is there a list on here, or anywhere else, of recommended companies in an area etc? Is there a list of Cisco Schools partners, rather than just gold or whatever, on the Cisco website? Thanks, David.
-
We are a 14 class (plus several additional learning spaces) primary school arranged in a figure-of-eight pattern. We are looking at wireless options and would like some opinions please. I have used individual APs (Netgear) serving pairs of classrooms in a smaller school before. However, the additional size and increased potential usage (class set of laptops to be bought soon, variety of groups in odd places around (and outside) the building) of this wireless network means I am leaning towards a managed solution. However, the costs seem huge! Enter the Netgear WFS709TP and accompanying 'lite' APs which seems like a viable option. 'Seamless' movement between 'zones' and less hassle in setup and administration. I have always had good experiences with Netgear products despite the cheaper costs. What are your opinions on / experiences with managed wireless networks in general? I am trying to think in terms of reduced hassle and support requirements over multiple unmanaged APs as being a primary we don't have a full time technician(s)! Thank you, David.
-
I understand that bit but as they are OEM WinXP versions they will all have different keys. I don't have a volume license agreement at this school (I used the Schools Agreement at a previous school) so wouldn't be able to use a VLK. Does that make sense?
-
I wouldn't be entering into a volume licensing agreement though - just using the OEM licenses as supplied with the hardware and buying the office licenses and CALs from the LA (who presumably have a Select agreement). I have only dealt with VLKs as part of Schools Agreement in the past when imaging which is why I am now unsure as to how to stay legit without it.
-
Thank you very much for the replies. I have come to the conclusion that it is going to work out significantly cheaper to simply buy the Office2k3 licenses (£36) and Server CALs (£4.50) from our LA and not worry about Vista et al at the moment. What I still haven't got my head around is the licensing issues with imaging PCs that all have different WinXP OEM license keys. How do you do it? (That question probably belongs in the other forum!) Thanks again, David.
-
I would also like to image the machines using WDS. With VLKs this is easy, however, what I am having trouble with getting my head around is the issue of having different keys for each machine?! Am I completely off base here?
-
Yes we do - is the CAL for server access not included with OEM WinXP Pro? This is where MS licensing really confuses me and a lot of others I suspect!
-
I wonder if anyone could share any thoughts on this... We are a new primary school which has been growing rapidly over the past two years. We currently have 26 desktop PCs and 15 laptops that have got individual licenses for OS (OEM) and Office2k3 (5 laptops with Office2k still). Very soon, we will be buying another 24 PCs and about 6 laptops. I have used MS Schools Agreement in the past (different school) when setting up from scratch - this worked out cheaply in the short term but then obviously became expensive longer term as we stopped adding machines and upgrading software. What are your thoughts on using the Schools Agreement in this new case? Would you just buy the Office2k3 licenses for the new PCs and laptops or enter into the agreement to cover all. We will probably be adding a class set of laptops in another years time and with Vista around the corner the schools agreement seems more attractive. Sorry for the long post! David.
