Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

djones

Members
  • Posts

    332
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by djones

  1. Bingo bongo! That may be the ticket - I'll check next week. Yeah, I'd thought this would be the answer but my scripting skills are not great and I couldn't find any suitable examples when I searched. Thank you! Dave.
  2. Can you not just set "Everyone" permissions on the printer?
  3. Yeah, this is what I currently do. I have... ...in my 'sysprep.inf' file which, when mini-setup runs, prompts me to specify a computer name (or accept the default randomly generated one) before joining to the domain and completing. This is the only thing that is prompted. The first time I embarked on all of this, I created (unmanaged) computer accounts in the correct OUs in AD for all the machines in the network. This ensures that the machines get joined to the domain in the correct OU from the outset so that they pickup any GPOs/scripts etc from first boot. Dave
  4. From another forum: Dave.
  5. You can specify the machine name in the [userData] section of the sysprep.inf file as follows: [userData] ComputerName= If you pre-stage the computers within AD, I think you can use the %machinemane% variable to automatically select the correct name. If you want/need more advanced naming schemes, MySysprep will also accomplish this relatively easily as follows: [userData] ;This is a special added feature that comes with MYSYSPREP - more details here. ;You can have your PC named by its serial number (%SerialNo%) or assest tag (%AssetTag%), for example, as shown below. ;ComputerName=Something%SerialNo% ;If left blank, the user will be prompted for a computer name during Mini-Setup. ComputerName= For more advanced naming schemes check the MySysprep instructions. Dave.
  6. Before using MySysprep, I found that I could get the HAL to change to 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI)' on everything I tried it on (laptops and desktops) but not reliably change to 'ACPI Multiprocessor PC' or 'ACPI Uniprocessor PC' as appropriate. In terms of the IDE drivers, I just had to make sure I had the correct Device IDs (inc. correct revisions specified) listed in sysprep.inf and obviously the appropriate drivers and it now works 10/10 on everything we have. I do have two issues remaining though: 1. On first boot after deployment, the 'SCSI/RAID Host Controller' tries to install but fails. If I then uninstall it via the Device Manager and reboot, it installs correctly without a problem. 2. I created the image initially using our slowest/oldest machine which happened to be a laptop. (I will be moving to using VMWare in the future.) Unfortunately, I forgot about power management settings so when I deploy to desktops, I have to change the default settings to 'always on' on first boot. Is there a way round this? Dave
  7. How would this work in terms of an AD user changing their password? Would you have to manually go into SIMS System Manager to change it there too or would it happen automatically? Dave.
  8. Just been through this myself. There are a number of options but the one I settled on was using MySysprep to automatically change HAL before mini-setup runs. However, as Steve says, the more significant issue is mass storage devices and drivers - this is what took me a while to get right. I've written up a few guides (cobbled together from a variety of sources) for creating and then deploying hardware independent XP images using WDS. Even if you're not going to use WDS for deployment, the principles for creating the images (sysprep.inf files etc) are the same. My guides are available here: http://www.midteq.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=36&Itemid=68 Dave.
  9. Some bed time reading on the matter... http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2004/02/exchange_on_a_d.html http://books.google.com/books?id=qtpnogWGbp0C&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=exchange+dc&source=web&ots=tKJzybGpiU&sig=fTrozePBd6uavUq1x7Toe9r-BR0 These next two relate to rectifying the only really significant 'issue' that I have come up against with having Exchange on a DC: http://www.msexchange.org/articles/Automating-Quicker-Exchange-2000-2003-DC-reboot.html OR (very similar article to the previous one) http://www.msexchange.org/articles/Speed-up-Exchange-2000-2003-DC-reboot.html Hope that helps! Edit: Sorry, I've just reread this thread and realised that this post doesn't really help the OP's questions but could be of use to others who do have a single server setup I suppose! Dave.
  10. Why not? I have installed and used (hammered in a couple of cases) Exchange 2000 & 2003 on several DCs and never had an issue. Small Business Server incorporates Exchange and this is an all-in-one-box type solution. Admitedly, there are some config changes that could/should be done to ensure optimum performance when installed on DCs but 'Exchange on DCs' isn't a major issue per se. I suppose it all boils down to level of use - if it is going to get/have to deal with significant throughput and abuse then it makes sense to be on its own dedicated, appropriately specced server that does nothing else - it is a significant database app after all. At the end of the day though, if you have the capacity (dedicated server), I agree with @FN-Greatermanchester's comment above. Dave.
  11. Ignore that last edit. The /c switch means 'create' or 'replace' registry keys. Derr.
  12. Yeah, something like that. Would I need to wrap any commands around that line or could that be added, standalone, in an existing vbs login script? Edit: The /s switch I assume means 'silent' but what does the /c relate to - 'computer'?
  13. That's great and i have started to do that where appropriate but I'm still trying to work this out. Can anyone help with adding reg edits via startup and logon scripts or i suppose call .reg files from vb scripts? Dave
  14. I'm trying to implement something similar to this (adding some other reg entries too) but I can't seem to work out how to add it to an existing script - I use one to install printer drivers at startup due to restricted user permissions. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Dave.
  15. What about altering Start Menu shortcuts during/post GPO install? I use redirected start menus and disable local start menu shortcuts so it shouldn't matter but I'm curious! Is there a way to prevent or customise local start menu shortcuts during the install process? Dave.
  16. We use it (alongside things like photostory) quite extensively for movies and static image slideshows/montages with music and narration etc. You don't need to grant access to the c: drive - all our files are saved to the network (project files deleted/archived as and when) without issue. The only piece of advice I would give though is that movie maker has a habit of crashing...often! Encourage regular saving! Dave.
  17. Another vote for the Dells from me too! I've bought about a dozen before and they are very sturdy and neat - handle on the top picks the lot up - very handy (excuse the pun) for cleaning under/around etc. Dave.
  18. Fantastic effort, thank you! That'll definitely get me started. Dave.
  19. Step-by-step guide to using WDS/SYSPREP to deploy hardware independent Windows XP images Probably should have posted in this thread instead of here - sorry about the duplicate post! There are some parts still to do but the main sections are there. If you do have a look or even use any bits, please leave some feedback - especially if there mistakes or parts that don't make sense. Dave.
  20. Step-by-step guide to using WDS/SYSPREP to deploy hardware independent Windows XP images Ok, a little later than planned but nevermind! It is still a tad rough around the edges but the gist is there. I haven't yet written up the WDSClientUnattend.xml bits yet, the caveats/troubleshooting steps I stumbled upon or the list of reference sites and docs I used but the bulk is there! Edit: WDSClientUnattend.xml section is complete and I'm gradually adding to the troubleshooting section. If you do have a look or even use any bits, please leave some feedback - especially if there are mistakes or parts that don't make sense. Dave.
  21. Is it possible to set up group access within SIMS so that, staff (ie. class teachers) can only access certain functions/areas. I think this is possible in terms of restricting access to certain modules but I think I may need to go further than that. What I want to be able to do is have staff log in and add details (time, date, content, etc) of telephone and face-to-face discussions that they have had with parents. Currently this is done by one person (Deputy Head/SENCO) who receives details from staff and then imputs that info into the SEN area/module. What I'd like is for staff to be able to do this directly themselves without having access to anything else. I'm effectively thinking aloud on this at the moment without being able to investigate within SIMS as I'm off at the moment! Any thoughts? Dave.
  22. Canon PowerShot A570 IS http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131589 Incredible camera for under £120! Superb picture quality, very easy to use (even for very little fingers!) and great price. Will beat many £200-£300 alternatives. Dave
  23. Try this in the section... 1 Primary true true false NTFS OS C 1 1 0 true This is taken from notes I've got at home but I can't find the actual file I'm using, sorry. Let us know the result. Dave. Edit: IIRC it is the true option that specifies to use all available space. You can use 123456 instead to specify the exact size (obviously!) but not both at the same time (again, obvious - but easily done when copying and pasting bits of code IME).
  24. I have very nearly finished writing a step-by-step guide to HAL independent XP deployment using WDS. The WDSClientUnattend bit is the last piece of the jigsaw but I 'think' I have got it to do what you want. However, I am now on paternity leave for a couple of weeks and won't be able to test properly 'till I'm back and don't think I've brought the working files home although will check. If you haven't found the answer in a couple of weeks, PM to remind me and i'll check how far I got. IIRC I had to be able to do what you want as some of our machines use several odd boot and OEM recovery type partitions that I wanted to eradicate. Dave Edit: Did you try the example posted here by 'maniac' in answer to your initial enquiry? I think my file is similar to this one.
  25. Can you provide a bit more info here? Where does it stop e.g. blank screen, agp440.sys, mup.sys, etc? This may help to narrow things down a bit more. Dave.
×
×
  • Create New...