Koocha
Members-
Posts
57 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Koocha
-
I've told them (not about the AV, just found that out now), but I was trying it again today and I couldn't replicate the speeds I had been receiving in the past. I'll keep trying and see about the speeds. See, I've got a 40Mb fibre connection at home through Sky and my speeds are pretty much what they should be. My max download speed is 4.4MBps which I'm more than happy about. When we were told we could get 66Mbps I thought "Yes, that'll be at least 6MBps", but it's working out to be more like 3MBps. If anything I'm really disappointed by it.
-
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Unfortunately, I don't get to fiddle with most of the settings, as it's managed by our broadband provider. Here's what I've found out: 1. Firmware version is v4.0,build0656,130211 (MR3 Patch 12) 2. If I disable AV it goes to 32Mb down 3. As for load, we've got 2 servers, about 60 workstations, 25 laptops and a bank of 30 netbooks. Unifi managed wifi too Thanks EDIT: Here's the reply I got from them:
-
Hi all We've got a Fortigate 40c doing our firewall and filtering. We've got a fibre line which we were quoted as getting 66Mb down and 20Mb up. When the Firtigate box is plugged in, our speeds drop to 25Mb down and 10Mb up. If I bypass the firewall and plug directly into the router, our speeds are near enough what we were quoted. Should that box be slowing the traffic that much? If so, am I right to complain and try and get a faster firewall? Thanks
-
Hi Nope, using AB Tutor. Tim
-
Hi all On our XP machines the proxy keeps setting itself to 127.0.0.1 for HTTP and Secure. If I go into the connection settings and untick the "use a proxy" box and click ok, the settings are cleared (I can check this by going to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings in the registry). If I then click OK on the Internet Properties window (the one with connection, programs, etc along the top) the proxy is re-enabled. I can check this is when it happens by refreshing the registry. Here's are the 2 keys that are at fault: ProxyEnable REG_DWORD 1 ProxyServer REG_SZ http=127.0.0.1:1100;https=127.0.0.1:1100 The port numbers seems to vary, but they're always the same for http and https. I can reproduce this every time. It seems to be on all Win XP machines. Our Win 7 machines aren't affected by this (as far as I can tell). Any help would be appreciated. Editing the REG directly doesn't have any affect either. Setting proxy settings via GP do nothing.
-
I have a USB stick I use with school stuff on it. Files I may need (patches, compatibility packs, etc). I also have PIPS and EProfile data on there. The sensitive data is stored in hidden truecrypt volumes using the Serpent-Twofish_AES encryption algorythm. Is this ok or should I be storing stuff on a hardware encrypted stick?
-
It's gone now
-
They've always been good to us, especially the sales lady I deal with, Sam Jannetta. Very friendly bunch, quick responses. Bridge End House Low Lane Horsforth Leeds LS18 4DF Tel: 01132 282 208 Fax: 08444 770 799 If you fancy giving them a try please tell Sam that Tim from Quay sent you!
-
Hi all We're looking at getting a set of 32 netbooks all to be used at the same time by a class. I'm thinking a mobile trolley with a wireless access point on top of it. When the teacher wants the netbooks they can be wheeled into the room and the WAP be plugged into a network socket. My question is this: Will it work? can a single WAP handle 32 simultaneous connections? We already have wireless around school so what about channels and things? I've seen in other threads about Ruckus - what's that about then? Any help would be appreciated. Tim
-
Sounds good. I'd give you a hand but I know naff all about programming!
-
My pleasure. I could tell because when it loaded up all the icons appeared apart from VNC Viewer. I checked Comodo Endpoint Security Manager and there it was. I just added it to the exclusions. Loving the AdminBar by the way. The only suggestion I'd make was in the excuses app. More things like "it's to do with the SCSI molex dissimulator becoming disconnected from the SMB bus's matrix" rather than "aliens have taken it"
-
I got this error message because it couldn't access VNC viewer because Comodo Internet Security has blocking access to it. I allowed access and all is well
-
Hi Just wondering if anyone already has an MSI for Qedoc? The installer is only distributed as an .exe from what I can find. Seems to be some really useful stuff on it *qedoc.com) Thanks Tim EDIT: Or can anyone tell me how to allow the download of modules from the web for a student user? I imagine it's something to do with the program files folder and allowing permissions
-
That's the site I was looking at but I can't find any contact info on there anywhere. I've finally stumbled upon AVerMedia UK which has a support section so I've filled out a request. Also on there is a list of resellers (AVerMedia UK - About Us - Where to Buy) so I can work my way through that list if I get no joy with support. I should though as it's still in warranty. Thanks for the replies!
-
Hi I'm posting here because RM are telling me they don't stock these anymore so can't replace it. We've had our vouchers refunded that we used to buy it but we need another one ASAP. The display on the device has 'shifted' o the left and is really dark. I've tried various things to sort it but nothing's worked, so I'm assuming it's a hardware problem on the device. I've been trying to get in touch with avermedia (who make it) but I can't seem to find any UK contact details for the company. Can anyone help out, either with somewhere else to get one from or contact details? Thanks Tim
-
Hi When one of the teachers tries to demonstrator how to use Windows Movie Maker using the whiteboard it's impossible due to the fact that it just outputs the actual video preview. The same happens with a website with an embedded video - it just shows the video through the projector. How can I fix this? Ta
-
It's not just those 2 exes... There's 2 from the clicker 5 folder (clicker5.exe and dontnetfx.exe (or something like that)) and at least another 27 from the 2simple collection, all from subfolders. Every other file remains. There's nothing in Kaspersky to say it's done anything with the exes either
-
Wouldn't a file restriction policy block it from the start? The exes are there for a few days, then they disappear. AFAIK we haven't got Access Based Enumeration set up
-
Oh, that's the other thing (thanks!) Over the summer we got rid of Symantec and installed Kaspersky. The problem is still present...
-
Hi We've had our network running for about a year and a half now (Server 2003 / XP Pro) and have had no troubles until recently. We've put 2 big bits of software on: Clicker 5 and the 2Simple collection. They've been running fine until one day every exe from the Crick Software folder and every exe from the 2Simple Collection subfolders vanished. The first I knew about it was when a shortcut said it couldn't find the exe. I redeployed both packages and everything was find for a bit. Then they disappeared again. At the same time. We gutted our ICT suite over the summer and reghosted everything and the same thing has happened again this week. There's 30 workstations and a laptop that the teachers use in the suite, all in the same OU with the same GPOs applied, yet nothing has disappeared off the laptop so far. The only difference software wise is that the laptop has AB Tutor Control teacher application on and the desktops have the client version. I've tried a computer in the suite without ABTC on it and it still happened, so I don't think it's that. Does anyone have any ideas why it's just the recently installed apps and no other ones? Or even better, why it's happening in the first place? Thanks Tim
-
12k - 50 odd workstations, 20 odd laptops, 1 server, 50 staff, 400 kids. And I teach ICT too
-
TuxPaint has been mentioned, but we use TuxMaths and Tux Type too. Duck builder from http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/online_rev/duck/duck.htm (Y3, Simulation unit)
-
Hi In Europe you're ok to use 4 channels as the overlap accounts for <1% interference between APs (1, 5, 9, 13). That's if you need to. Source: http://www.webarchive.ja.net/services/publications/factsheets/063-overlapping-channel-problem.pdf We've stayed away from wireless completely in our school. It's fairly big for a primary too.
-
Hi At the moment we're using Symantec, but come renewal date we'll be moving over to Kaspersky. I use it at home and found it to be nothing short of excellent. Tim
