Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

cookie_monsta

Members
  • Posts

    94
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by cookie_monsta

  1. Using a virtual win 7 machine and Scalable WinINSTALL, I was successful in creating my own MSI file for Balsamiq with the correct Licence info imbedded with in. Manually running the MSI works, and im just about to test it via GPO.
  2. The new MSI the PSPad creator sent to me worked a treat! I have zipped it up and uploaded it just in case any one else would like it too. thanks for all your help and advice. Thanks, Cookie PSPad.zip
  3. I have the exe, no idea what it's been packaged in The serial name and key is the stumbling block as it's applied per user who launches the software from what I gather
  4. The msi installs the software if it is run manually, just won't install via gpo. The chap who wrote the software has sent me an msi he has created, will test it when I get back to the office in the morning. Will let you know how I get on with it. But thanks you fellas I have some alternatives to try before I totally give up Cheers Cookie
  5. then use a .bat to .exe convertor and then .exe to msi? Ta Cookie
  6. Has any one heard of Balsamiq - MockUps for Windows? If yes, have you successfully installed it on a number of machines at the same time? Many thanks, Cookie
  7. Hi all, Just wondering if anyone has successfully installed PSPad Editor on mass? Sadly there is only an .exe files available to download. I have used the Exe to Msi convertor software to create my Msi file (with a switch /mergetask="!txt" (to stop it becoming the default txt editor)), however it software will simply no install via GPO. But, when the self made file is ran manually, it installs with no problems. I need to install this software on 100-200 computers so ideally GPO is the most efficient route. I have also tried creating the Msi file without any switches and the same problem occurs. The path for the msi is correct etc. Any advice is welcome. Many thanks in advance, Cookie
  8. Arthur..... I cannot thank you enough!!!! I amended the one field and it worked....well worked to a certain... I have a 64bit program trying to install to c:\program files (x86) but its a start
  9. cool....I look forward to receiving it
  10. Ahhh see where and what you mean now BoredGuy.... tested it on a test UO but it still installs to the wrong location. Am I changing the wrong field(s) or entering the wrong syntax?
  11. ive combined the .mst and .msi ...and saved it as a new msi.... (couldn't see the woods for the trees n all that) but now it still reverts back to c:\
  12. Ive created a .mst file using Orca with what I think are the correct amendments to the correct fields..... but how do I know 'merge' the two together so I can deploy just the MSI with GPO? Also I tried Simply editing the msi, I have changed each instance where I have found TARGETDIR="" to TARGETDIR="%ProgramFiles%\Python33". The fields I have amended are: AdminExecuteSequence>InitialTargetDir AdminUISequence>InitialTargetDir InstallExecuteSequence>InitialTargetDir InstallUISequence>InitialTargetDir I then ran the MSI, but now the default path is simply c:\ instead of c:\python33 Anyone point out where I am going wrong please? thanks Cookie
  13. thank you! Heard of Orca, but never had the pleasure of using it
  14. oooo thank you.... I think I also forgot to mention that I/we intend to deploy the MSI via GPO.... any further suggestions?
  15. Sadly the ICT staff here do not like using Virtual machines (I went down this path for VB6 and they kicked it to the kerb in minutes).
  16. Hi All, I am trying to prepare for the installation of Python 3.3.2 for our ICT departments. I have downloaded both MSI files for 3.3.2 and 2.7.6. During my tests, the default install location is c:\python33 or c:\python27. However, students are 'blocked' from 'seeing' the root of the C:\ I am attempting to edit the MSI file using InstEd! but for life of me, cannot find where to edit the default install folder. Is anyone using this software and have you managed to install this software to a more conventional area such as c:\program files\ or c:\program files(x86)? Any advice is welcome. many thanks in advance, Cookie
  17. All the exe does is to check is the correct SIMS client files are installed (if not it will run pulsar to do the upgrade) and then maps the correct drive across and then launches SIMS ready for the user to login. Ive entered: Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles LGS.Click Shell("\\nfs02\networks$\cookie\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\SIMS\SIMS\LGS Sims Launcher V3.5.exe") End Sub And now it wont compile (no errors or warnings though )
  18. Hi Steve, thanks for your prompt reply.. Do I need to copy the 3 .exe files into a particular folder where I am creating the VB project? (they are currently sitting on a network drive at the moment) thanks, Cookie
  19. Hi guys and girls... Will start by saying thank you in advance. I/we have recently performed the SIMS Summer 2 upgrade. However, we have 3 schools on campus, all of which have their own SIMS installation, but they all share access to out music school which needs access to all 3 SIMS. We have a bespoke launcher however the raw code has been long lost I have converted a .bat file to an .exe file, however I need to call this .exe in VB, sadly I haven't done any VB programming since about 1995. For example, I have created a VB project called SIMS launcher, 4 buttons, 1 for each school and a cancel/exit button (which actually works...woohoo) When a user clicks on LGS, I need it to call LGS SIMS Launcher v3.5.exe..... How do I do that?!? Also, how do I export my project in VB to an exe file? please note I am using VB 2010 Express. Any advice is welcome. Many thanks and kind regards, Cookie
  20. Hi All, The ICT dept has finally decided to move away from VB6 (yay!) Through our MSDN/TechNet subscription we have obtained Visual Studio 2012 pro and Expression Studio 4. These have been downloaded as ISOs, which isn't really a problem. However, they do not appear to come with MSIs to help deploy via GPO. As the software needs to be installed on approx 100+ computers, I ideally do not want to visit each machine and would rather deploy both software titles via MSI/GPO. Has any deployed these titles successfully via GPO? if yes, how? Any help or suggests will be appreciated. Many thanks in advance, Cookie
  21. Decided against the MSI route as I couldnt get it to work at all Is anyone able to advise how to install this manually but still let restricted users (i.e. students) still run the software properly. I have found I can install VB6 and MSDN correctly when logged in as a student, but when I try to add a component, it crashes.....unless I am logged in as a network or local admin. I feel like I have exhausted all avenues, the one and only reg hack (for win2k) didnt work at all. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance, Cookie
  22. Hi... I am wondering if anyone has successfulldeployeded VB6 and MSDN via GPO? client machines are a mixture of Win 7 Pro and Win 7 Ent....all are x64 though. (if required, the servers/dc are 2008 R2) I know its an ancient program but the ICT department still teaches it :-/ I get so far when manually running the msi i have created....somecouldn'touldnt be registered (cant for the life of me remember what the file is though) but clicking ignore seems to let the installation continue however I am not aware what knock affect this will have. The way I created the msi was using a virtual Win 7 machine, ran winstallLE (?!) to take a 'before snapshot', created a zerobyte file in c:\windows called MSJAVA.DLL (so that the VB doesn'tl doesnt require a reboot andoesn'tt doesnt install a very old ver of Java), then installed MSDN (in full) followed by VB6 itself. I then ran winstallLE to take an 'after snapshot' and this then creates a MSI with the changes it has found. Any suggestions (other than stop teaching VB6) are welcome. Many thanks in advance. Regards, Cookie
  23. you got all that for £1500? is that primary or secondary pricing? can i have the name of the sales guy please? Chap im dealing with at Serif wants £599 for 30 licences for a primary school....not extras or anything
  24. thanks!! Just before i returned to my PC..i actually looked there....and low and behold there they were hiding... sneaky blighters!! thank you
  25. Hi all, I have a strange thing happening on several laptops. Printers on a server that no longer exists are being mapped over. I have deleted them on a few different logins as they appear but after a reboot they come back. Our server is now running 2008 R2 and the clients are XP pro. The old server was 2003. I have looked the the local GPO but cannot see where the printers are being told to map from. Does any one have any other suggestion where to look and how to stop these redundant printer being deployed to these clients? Thanks in advance Cookie
×
×
  • Create New...