Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

nutso

Members
  • Posts

    94
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by nutso

  1. I noticed that it changed as I was looking at the site. My point still stands about the theme version though, it might be worth looking at if you revisit it.
  2. I may be way off the mark here but are you sure that you're using the Moodle 2 version of the theme? It just looks a lot like the Moodle 1 version to me. When I looked at the Moodle 2 theme, it seemed to scale to fill the window and went right to the top of the window with no curvy bits at the top.
  3. Thanks Bossman, I'm now confused about the Fast Link/Port Fast thing. You say that it should be turned on for ports where workstations are plugged in, but earlier Robot said that it is best left turned off. At this point, leaving it turned off seems like the best option since the odd DHCP request going unanswered seems better than the majority of the network going down.
  4. I'm not sure what you mean, bio. The switches don't have any other function to prevent loops so I'm not sure why I wouldn't need STP. The switches seem to have found their new master nicely so no power cycling required. As for Fast Link on fixed clients, that wouldn't really help anything since pupils are causing the problem by pulling the cables out of fixed clients and creating a loop by plugging that end in the wall. I think it is a matter of Fast Link off on all classroom sockets. There is a broadcast limit on the switches that I've never touched, currently it is set to the default of 3000 packets/second per port. I'm not sure what a reasonable value would be. I'd love to be able to take a switch away and make my own loops to find out what is going on but there just never seems to be a good opportunity to do it. Oh well. Thanks for your help with this guys!
  5. Thanks, SYNACK. The bridge priority may be part of it. Everything is set to default values so I think it chose a master switch at random. I've set our core switch with a low priority value now. If I understand you correctly Robot, since Fast Link disables spanning tree on a port then should I disable it on every port? There is no way of telling which ports will be used by pupils to create a loop.
  6. Hi all, We have a lot of Netgear FSM726S switches in our network and whenever someone decides to create a loop, all of those switches conk out. I've tried with STP enabled, and with RSTP enabled but still it happens. I'm now wondering if the STP implementation is broken. Can someone please tell me if there is something that I can change in the default settings that might help: Hello Time: 5 seconds Max Age: 20 seconds Forward Delay: 15 seconds Bridge Priority: 32768 All of the ports have Fast Link enabled (although I have tried disabling it too), the priority set to 128, and the cost is 19 for 10/100 ports and 4 for Gb ports. Can someone please tell me if I've got something wrong or if the switches are just crap? Thanks
  7. The reverse proxy is kind of an additional security layer for people accessing remotely. It forces ePortal through a SSL connection and will only allow access if an authorised AD account is used. People connecting from inside the school network access the ePortal server directly which works fine. I haven't logged a support request because it isn't really an ePortal fault. Although the problem was caused by something changed in the latest version, ePortal still works if used in the way that is intended.
  8. Hi all, happy new year Is anyone here using ePortal with a reverse proxy? We've been doing so through a Sonicwall SSL-VPN appliance quite happily up until now, but after updating to the latest version of ePortal it just won't display right. The page layout is kind of jumbled up. Connecting straight to the ePortal web server works fine however so it's not an installation issue. Does anyone have any ideas?
  9. Has anyone got any thoughts on Lenovo? I've had bad experiences with both Dell and HP over the past few months, and I don't like that Acer doesn't do onsite service. I'm not sure if Lenovo do onsite either.
  10. Is there anyone who would like to provide a quote for the following licences? : 90 x Office Pro 2007 licences 30 x SQL Server CALs 30 x Terminal Server CALs Thanks
  11. I had exactly the same problem as Butuz with the LACP aggregation. I ended up figuring out the destroy / create stuff on the command line to get it back up. The thing is that whenever I try selecting LACP aggregation and applying it, I get the message "The active destination is not part of the new network configuration." I went ahead anyway and the console said the link had the correct IP but I had no connectivity. Am I missing something with that error message, or is it more likely that the switch is giving me problems?
  12. Easy when you know how you mean..(edit) gah Cookie Monster beat me to that line My 7110 only arrived on Wednesday so I haven't had much chance to play. In fact I've spent most of the time battling Microsoft iSCSI Initiator because of my own inexperience. (CHAP authentication is for the target, not when adding a portal.. and don't use dynamic disks. D'oh.)
  13. Well, my limited linux knowledge led me to try running ifconfig which gave me this message: error: invalid command "ifconfig" (try "configuration net interfaces show" to view the network interface summary, and "configuration net" subcommands to configure networking) What happens if you type either of those configuration commands?
  14. In the manual (page 37) there is a command "start /SP/console" which ran the interface config menu when I ran it, but that might only work before the interface has been configured for the first time.
  15. Are you able to get in to it through the serial interface? If you can get a terminal prompt, you can probably run the setup command from the manual to view the network configuration.
  16. We use it on a few screens here. It's really quite a nice bit of software, and quite easy to use. We had a few problems when first setting it up, but those bugs were fixed quickly enough and I've found the people responding to problems on launchpad.net (including Alex here ) to be friendly and helpful.
  17. Yet another vote for Spiceworks here. I just wish it had a remote agent that could be installed to cover for laptops that aren't connected when the scan runs.
  18. I use Xibo for this which is free, although it may be overkill for what you want. I have one region set up showing a playlist of powerpoints, and a small region at the bottom displaying an HTML page which is effectively text within Marquee tags and a 5 minute auto-refresh.
  19. Actually this year was much better than previous years for political voting I think. They changed the voting so that 50% was decided by phone and 50% by judging panel. Still not perfect, but better.
  20. Yes, but the singer resembled Zac Efron (at least I think so) which would have instantly caused millions of European schoolgirls phone in to vote.
  21. Adobe Reader 9.1 seems to fix the redirected AppData issue.
  22. nutso

    F1

    Brawns came in 1, 2 (Button, Barrichello), Red Bulls came in 3, 4 (Webber, Vettel)
  23. nutso

    F1

    In a way I feel bad for Vettel since he fought so hard with Massa. I think he deserved the podium, but Webber did well to fight back and and least Red Bull as a whole did very well..or better than their sister team at any rate. Poor Toro Rosso...
  24. nutso

    F1

    That's a big yes for the safety car!
  25. Sorry to bump this, I just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts on this?
×
×
  • Create New...