Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mitchell1981

Members
  • Posts

    412
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mitchell1981

  1. Our music rooms are in a complete mess at the moment. This is mainly due to there being not enough space on each desk for a computer, computer keyboard, mouse, and a music keyboard. Does anyone have any pictures of their nice tidy music rooms, or suggestions for how we can sort this out? We will probably need to buy new desks of some sort, but we are not really sure what to get. Thanks.
  2. Hi all, We currently have an e-mail circulating among our students which contains several excel spreadsheets. These are flash games that someone has embedded into a .xls file. Is there any way to prevent the office applications from supporting flash? I can't see any real use for such a feature! We are using Office 2003 and I have the Office ADM files installed, however there are so many settings that finding the one you want isn't always easy! Anyone else had this problem and managed to stop it?
  3. Ok, I'm coming to the conclusion from these helpful posts that the limitation is probably the software and processor in the NAS drive. I'm going to try setting up a dedicated backup server and plug the drives in on a USB cable and see if that speeds things up. At the moment my full backup is taking about 60 hours which isn't very practical!
  4. We are using Lacie 1TB "Big Disks" http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=LCE301156E Our switches are all managed so I'm going to do some investigating to see if I can work out where the problem is. Will try the packet loss ping test, and windows backup as well. Thanks for suggestions.
  5. Hi all, We use a NAS based backup, which consists of 6 1TB drives connected at 1gigabit. I was wondering does anyone else use a similar system, and if so, what sort of speeds do you get from your backup? We are using ArcServe Backup 11.5, and the best speed I can get out of it is: 200 megabytes a minutes. I might be doing something wrong with my maths but suggests that this could be a lot faster. Is this normal, or has anyone got any ideas what might be slowing it down? There are two gigabit switches between the servers and the backup devices, but there is not much demand on these switches. Thanks for any help you can give me.
  6. Thanks, will give it a try then then. We are planning to buy this one: http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/range/442 There are two options, one with 50m range and one with 100m range. Going to go for the more powerful one. Will see how it goes and let you know!
  7. Hi all, We are in the process of installing a Plasma screen in our foyer. However, the PC to control the screen is going to be in an office on another floor. We are planning to use VGA/Ethernet Baluns to send the signal across Cat5 cable. There are existing network sockets near the display and in the office we are connecting to. My question is: Can we utilise this existing network structure (obviously not going through a switch, but patching one cable directly to another in the cabinet) or do we need to run, one continuous Cat5 cable? It will be so much easier for us if we can use the existing cables, but I'm worried that the breaks in the cable may cause a reduction in picture quality. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for any help you can give me.
  8. Thanks for that. Going to give it a try today. Tom.
  9. I'd like to add my name to that last problem! I've got my mandatory profile just about perfect except for the annoying 'Setting up personalised settings for Outlook Express' thing. I've even tried uninstalling Outlook Express from the machines and it still does it. Anyone know how to get rid of it? Thanks.
  10. Thanks for the GoDaddy link. That's very cheap and might actually get one of those. Especially now that IE7 makes the error look even more frightening! Just one more question. I've got the FBA mode working perfectly now. But users can still get into their mail using either: "https://servername/exchange" (correct) or "http://servername:8383/exchange/" (don't want this to work) Is there an easy way to stop it working when a user doesn't use the secure address? Thanks.
  11. Thanks for the replies. I'll try them out and see how they go. I'll let you know how I get on!
  12. Hi All, I'm quite new to IIS and Exchange and I've been trying to enable FBA mode for Web Outlook. This requires SSL to be enabled. I've created a self signed certificate using selfssl.exe and installed it on the Exchange server. SSL is set to use port 443, and TCP is set to use Port 8383. Accessing the server using: http://servername:8383/ works just fine. If I use https://servername:443 or just https://servername I first get a certificate error, which is to be expected as the certificate is untrusted. I'm happy with that, however, I then get a page that says: Under Construction: There is no default page I'm probably doing something stupid, but I would have assumed that the server would point to the same pages regardless of whether I use SSL or not. Anyone got any ideas? As I've said, I'm not very experiences with IIS or SSL. Thanks.
  13. Does anyone have any experience buying adaptors for Serial (RS232) smart boards? I need to get these working on laptops that only have a USB port. Does anyone know if I can get away with buying a cheap adapter such as this one: Cheap Adapter or do I have to buy the official Smart adapter which costs a ridiculous £40! Official Smart Adapter I'm sure other people must have had this problem, as no laptops come with serial ports these days. Thanks.
  14. Thanks to everyone who replied. I used Craiglay's solution in the end as it was the quickest and worked perfectly. I agree that actually sharing just one folder makes more sense, but this would have been more difficult to implement on our system as we have folder redirection set up to individual shares on all our exisiting users. Thanks again.
  15. Hi All, This is the first time I've had to bulk create a set of user accounts and home folders. My problem is that the folders I have created (300 of them) all have the share permission set to 'Read' and I want it set to 'Full Control' as I use the NTFS permissions to handle the security. Does anyone have a batch file or similar that will enable me to change this permission for all the folders in one hit? Really don't want to do it manually! Thanks.
  16. Hi, Is anyone else experiencing the same annoying behaviour when you remote desktop to a windows 2000 server and are asked for your credentials twice? Once by the terminal services client and once by the server itself. This seems to be a new feature of the latest client as it never did this before. Anyone found a way to stop the server asking for the credentials a second time? It works fine with Server 2003. Thanks.
  17. Thanks for the %computername% info. Will give it a try. The policy I am using is: computer configuration/windows settings/security settings/restricted groups/ I added the administrators group and then add the domain or local groups that I want to be a member of it. Seems to work well.
  18. Thanks! That's good to know. I've found a list on Wikipedia now. Still not found the one I need but perhaps it doesn't exist. Will keep looking!
  19. Hi, Not sure if my title for this topic is appropriate as I have no idea what the name of the thing is that I want to ask about! When setting up our profiles we use the '%username%' to ensure that the current username is used. I guess you could call this a wild card, but I suppose it has a proper name. What I need to do is use group policy to add a local user (called admin) on all our machines to the local admins group. I know where to put this in the policy but I don't know the format to use. I guess it will be something like: %localmachine%\admin Can someone tell me if the %localmachine% is correct and if not, what it should be. Also, if anyone could provide a list of these 'wild cards' then that would be good too. They are impossible to search for on Google as it wipes out the % sign when you do a search! Thanks for your help.
×
×
  • Create New...