-
Posts
385 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Busybub
-
Depends on your computer and what Graphic card slot it has (if any) PCI-e is the most recent, AGP usually on older machines (3-4 years and older) Some computers are deliberately built without graphics upgrade slots (Dell Dimension 2400 and 3100 springs to mind) Also, if you are using a computer with a low profile bracket you will find it harder to obtain a card, especially if you only have one output bracket. If this is the case PM me, I can forward the address of a website which has PCI-e low profile options. I don't know of any low profile AGP ones...
-
Late to the party as usual, but I use this: ftp://sherwood.lh.umu.se/public/CobDeleter.exe
-
I must be the only one who wishes I could have Symantec back... Sophos *GRRRR* Have run everything from 8 to 10.2, never had a problem with it. 10 onwards was resource hungry but it just worked...
-
I'm quite keen on these: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=692687 Cheap as chips , a doddle to use (just chuck a drive in and close the cover, no faffing about with screws), select your own hard drive, quick with eSATA. Basic unit works out more than Geoff's selection but you have more flexibility - You can swap extra drives when you start running out of room, and you can migrate all your drives to a different RAIDed unit when your data grows. If you don't need eSATA, they do a twin drive version on USB: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=706954
-
True, but that's user initiated. If the messenger service isn't running on the workstation, it won't pick up automated messages from the print server.
-
Key for 2008 appeared on Volume Licensing?
Busybub replied to sidewinder's topic in Windows Server 2008
I got 2008 and Exchange 2007 too. Think it depends on how your servers are licensed. Ours are select licenses so I am guessing we will have to buy them again before we can legally deploy said servers. XP have SA which is presumably why we are seeing the extra license keys pop up. -
Interesting that the later versions of PMP still have the same quirk that I am also experiencing on v5, which also occasionally throws a funny and doesn't update properly. Latest one was increasing the kids print quota by £253.15 when it was supposed to add £2.50... quite why it decided on exactly £253.15 I don't know, but I have had to resort to updating groups manually just to be sure. Only other remarks for anybody thinking about PMP, messenger service needs to be on for clients to pick up quota warnings, and v5 doesn't like HP3600 printers and cannot apply settings to them. Presumably the later versions have fixed this.
-
You can buy a hardware encrypted USB drive for less than 100 quid. Even if you bought 3 or 4 for rotation it'll work out cheaper than an annual, commercial, offsite solution. We use two for weekly swaps, never had an issue yet
-
Before Vista/Aero there was... http://www.otakusoftware.com/topdesk
-
Think the most relevant legislation would be the Display Screen Equipment regs which cover how suitable the display screen is for the user using it, and includes stuff about ambient lighting and general workstation environment. By definition this will vary from one user at one workstation to the next... It's all pretty vague, but as long as your users aren't complaining that they are getting headaches, and squinting, the monitors are OK. If they ARE squinting, check the lighting in the room. If it's positioned too low, put it on a monitor stand or monitor arm. If it's flickering, increase the scan rate. As long as you can display a reasonable approach to any complaints, you shouldn't have to change the monitors for a larger one unless there is no other practical alternative. To date, I have only had two teachers mention getting headaches when looking at a CRT. Both were replaced with 15" TFTs which aren't much bigger than your 14's
-
Have a user complaining that their address shortcuts have disappeared, which I have managed to narrow down to Outlook Nicknames. Found this: http://www.computerdoctor.com.au/FAQ/RebuildOutlookNicknameCache/nickname.asp But comes up with a Type Mismatch error, and does nothing. Any kind soul able to debug or offer an alternative solution? Cheers!
-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7136069.stm That's Western Digital off my purchasing lists...
-
Broadcom? Eh? Which chassis do you have? I've got USFF jobbies and they're showing Intel cards I've never seen anywhere! Have to wonder whether this is a conspiracy to get us to buy into Dell Imageserver later... no help to me now though! *grrr*
-
You're lucky your tester has the nonce to actually ask about testing servers. The twit doing ours just unplugged the bloody things over the half term holiday when nodody was about... *GRRRRRRR*
-
Further to timbo's post, worth checking to see if the VGA output has been accidentally disabled by the teacher. Should be a key in the number row which has two small monitor icons on it, and you can toggle the display outputs using this key and the function key so that the laptop outputs to it's own display, the VGA one only, or both. ... I think WITCH definitely has the best siggy on this forum!
-
Erm, anybody got one that actually works with Ghost 8.0? Tried the one on the Dell driver DVD and it doesn't seem to work... Can't find any trace of it on Intel's website...
-
Speakers - supplier / brand recommendation request
Busybub replied to speckytecky's topic in Hardware
Wattage is irrelevent, and only an indication of the maximum signal input (which, depending on the manufactrurer may be a short burst or continuous). If you want actual volume you need to be looking for a more efficient pair of speakers (or more than one set). 87-88db is average. Anything over 90 is noticably louder. Wattage of the amp is also largely irrelevent as long as you have something rated at 20W RMS upwards (for a small hall). If you have a small hall and cost is an issue, I would look at 2 pairs of JBL Control 1 speakers attached to a suitable amplifier. If 2 pairs are insufficient, get an amp with pre-out and add a cheap power amplifier and another 2 pairs on this. If you have a large hall, then frankly you need a PA type speaker with 12-15" drivers to shift enough air. Jamo make various models of this type. -
Just bought a bunch of computers from Dell through their schools team and had them specced with Vista Business license keys and downgraded to XP. Units shipped with XP Pro (SP2) installed and a physical Dell OEM Vista installation disc.
-
@Plexer Just given me a thought. If the physical F11 key has another function assigned to it that is called by the Fn key (rather than the Fn key adding the F11 code to create a new code, ie the F11 key has two codes depending on the state of the Fn key) then you're probably looking at a hardware assignment which by definition may be different from machine to machine. There is no scancode for Fn that I can see... MrHappy may turn out to be MrUnhappy by the sounds of it!
-
Try saving the following as a .reg file, run it, restart: ---------------------------------------------------- Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout] "Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,00,00,57,00,00,00,00,00 ---------------------------------------------------- Should completely disable the F11 key If it doesn't work, just delete the entry. I have something similar running which disables the F12 key so if you have problems I've probably mistyped something...
-
Dredd, remember Day Of The Tentacle! Now THAT is a funny game!
-
I have an additional domain controller located in a different building which is fitted with 2 500gb drives. Backups are set to alternate between the two drives, and are sufficient for two weeks of rolling backups with space to spare. I also have a pair of encrypted USB hard drives (300gb) which I make backups on over the weekend and midweek. Used to just use the USB jobbies until they started running out of room. Total cost, about £340 so far (not including the server which is basically a spare desktop). Never had any problems.
-
Paint.net Windows replacement for Paint. Looks and feels suspiciously similar to Photoshop Elements. Significantly easier to use than GIMP Crap Cleaner System optimisation including registry cleanup Lite-On DVD firmware reset Disable region protection on your Lite-On DVD drives DVD Region Killer Use with an RPC1 DVD drive to play any region DVD. Magic Disc Alternative to DeamonTools for mounting CD ISOs Extract Now Extract ZIP, RAR, ACE, IMG, IMA, IMZ, ISO, and BIN CDex CD ripper GFI WebMonitor 2 Monitor ISA Server connections
-
Would this be inc VAT???
-
Chris, don't suppose you have one which deletes the entire accessibility registry entry?
