Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

alan-d

Members
  • Posts

    2,586
  • Joined

Everything posted by alan-d

  1. For a rough guide on EES costs this is from a recent quote I had. Obviously there will be some slight variations so use as a ball-park figure.
  2. You are quite right - I must read threads properly!
  3. For forward planning purposes RDS is not available for Windows 8\Server 2012 as I understand it.
  4. Anyone in the Birmingham area converted to SchoolsBroadband? How do you get around the required S2S connections?
  5. Not now he hasn't!!
  6. You only lasted 2 days? Yer wimp! I'm going for the 7 days!
  7. We registered 4 people. 2 were eventually retrieved and neither had passwords. To be honest I was expecting it to arrive in a seperate email.
  8. To add - Anyone expecting login details for the new Link2ICT portal may find the email has been filtered. If you are using Exchange and release it you may then find that Exchange puts into quarantine. I don't know if this also affects Zimbra users.
  9. Link2ICT mail filtering is that good it even blocks emails from Link2ICT Amazing!!!
  10. Just to save any confusion to readers of this thread - the CPU issue was found not related to the problems listed above. That was something else on my server install which has been fixed by forensics software.
  11. Have you tried the old trick of removing it from the domain (Join it to a fictional workgroup), then re-joining it to the domain?
  12. Harsh!!! *Snigger*
  13. [quote=ToyHeartsFan;869314 Has anyone tried the old V4xx since the last batch of MS updates? Just because it used to work doesnt mean it still does! The same MS updates that are causing problems with V5.x could also be causing problems with v4.x! So I would be cautious if you plan on trying the old version. This may or may not be related. We went back to V4 during the break, everything seemsed to be working but yesterday pceservice.exe took our server CPU to 100% for no apparent reason. Both this service and the SQL have been restarted and even a server reboot but this had no effect. To get around it for now we added another CPU which gives us a working server but the pceservice.exe still uses 50% of the CPU resources. Clients so far don't seem to be having problems, most are Win 7 and the odd XP. Office 2010 seems to be behaving at the moment.
  14. It varies from year to year dependant on what is in the IT development plan for the year, but it averages at around 100K. 1200 users 710 clients and attached kit such as IWB, projectors and printers.
  15. That is pretty much my plan of action on our local install. I've already gone back to V4 and I'm just waiting for all the clients to report in, mainly laptops which could take a week or more.
  16. When V5 was running on our 2003 server the console was dreadfully slow. It was OK on the 2008 server though. Pity it killed the clients though :-)
  17. We host PCE locally and after upgrading to V5 at the start of the summer break found that IE was taking an age to load (IE 8 and 9). We also moved it to a new 2008 server. As we were making some changes elsewhere, as one does during the summer break we didn't have time to figure out what was breaking what and how so reverted the whole lot back to V4. Since then we found some of our other changes caused a few problems and have fixed those but reading this thread I'm glad I made the decision to revert to V4. On a side note:- Do users of the V5 console find that it takes twice as long to sort through the captures? V4 was as easy as click on Total Unviewed captures and sort on type. V5 seems to want me to select from a number of dropdown menus to achieve the same result. Did I miss something (I don't have it installed anywhere at the moment)?
  18. alan-d

    ooopsy

    Now that is where a Rain Mac can come in handy, it will cover that part of you up
  19. alan-d

    ooopsy

    You should have bought a Rain Mac instead, cheaper and can handle water easily. <<< Just like this one
  20. Papercut NG here, although we don't actually charge or issue print credits as yet. We use it as a monitoring tool at the moment. That could change once SMT review the data though
  21. Wrap the kid up in tin foil.
  22. Have a look at Gamification. Yes I know, another twee name for something that already existed, but may give you some ideas. There is a lot of rubbish and drivel written on the subject but anyone with a little common sense can work out the good stuff from the bad.
  23. Kettle is on
  24. @bossman, @garethedmondson and @plexer What biscuits do you like?
  25. Has anyone mentioned VLC yet?
×
×
  • Create New...